Horology and the wristwatch: from feminine to masculine

kneehighs

Something I just learned which might be of interest to everyone here. Did you know the wristwatch was originally invented for women?

According to Nina Garcia (former editor ELLE), "Women first started to wear wristwatches in Europe in the 1880's, when they attached their pocket watches to leather wristbands to go out hunting or horseback riding."

Up until 1868, most people were still using pocket watches. According to the FinestWatches.com, the prestigious watch making company Patek Phillipe invented the first ever wristwatch in 1868. According to the Wikipedia entry, "The wristwatch had already been invented by Patek Philippe, in 1868, but only as a "lady’s bracelet watch"

Then, according to The American Institute of Aeronautics in March 1904, CARTIER invented the wristwatch for men for his friend Alberto Santos-Dumont. Santos was a pilot and said he wanted a way to time his performance while keeping both hands on the controls.

It wasn't until WWI, that the wristwatch for men really gained popularity. Soldiers needed a more effective way of coordinating attacks while keeping both hands occupied.

I find this history quite fascinating, as a man's wristwatch can look quite sexy on a lady. It is in fact, one way some modern women subtly break traditional gender rules. Nina Garcia even recommends for women to wear a man's wrist watch. How's that for reclaiming their territory? Makes me think men should reclaim something too, but I won't go there seeing as this is The General Fashion Section.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

...men should reclaim knee-long coats, furs, knee-high boots [they're not popular enough yet!], corsets [they were worn by military officers as a spine support, and by dandies as a means of gaining a more aristocratic silhouette], unbifurcated garments, jewellery, hats - and, of course, high heels!

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

I'm wondering if watches in general may be losing popularity from a practical standpoint. With the advent of cell-phones, it just is not necessary to wear a separate timepiece anymore. Any modern cell phone displays the time whenever it is powered and it sets itself from the network. You never worry about your cell-phone being "fast" or "slow" and it handles time-zones and Daylight Savings time automatically. Come to think of it, I've never seen "men's" or "ladies" cell phones. . .

Have a happy time!

well those of us a bit more savvy are doing a bit to get it all back !! One day, men - and women - will realise that, like nature, men who are the most flamboyant are the most appealing !! Did you know, when they introduced the wristwatch for ladies, that the ladies worked quicker ? Apparently so, they always had time on their hands......