Dying post replies

micha

Dear forum masters, I encountered already two times the same annoying misfortune. I visited a thread for looking what's new. Without locking in. Then I clicked on "post reply" and wrote my answer. After entering "Preview" rsp. "Submit" appeared the login window. Obviously logigal because I had still the status of an unknown guest. Then I entered my name and the password. And what happened? I got a complete empty box for entering a new answer. But my answer was already completely written! Until now I havn't found any trick to submit my posting successfully. Logging in before entering my answer seems to work quite well. I am a registered user. What am I doing wrong? micha PS: Being anxious if this question will be successful submitted (*g*)

The best fashion is your own fashion!

This has ocasionally happened to me--leading to many swear words, and teaching me to LOG IN FIRST! I also have found that the best defense is a good offense, therefore, I COPY a long post (to the windows clipboard--something similar should work for Macintosh) on the off chance that it may get lost in Xmission. If that happens, I can get it back by simply PASTING into a new dialog box. Hope this helps... :lol:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

What can be even more frustrating is that if you, like me, try to be "smart" by opening the main forum page in the original window and then opens a subforum (at a time) in a new window and from this more short lived window in turn open this subforums newly updated threads in a third (even more short lived) window for easy reading and subsequent disposal of by closing, thus avoiding the reload of the "parent" view, you will have many good chances of losing your logged in status when backing up in the tree structure when closing the child windows... :lol: TallSwede

Best way to be 'smart' and have several windows open is to use tabbed browsing in Mozilla. This is what I do, and it works very well. I never have problems with my logged-in state, even when I don't use the 'log me in automatically' option. And I can open as many messages in separate tabs but within one main window with one swift middle-click of my mouse (although I am using Linux just now, so a three-button mouse is supported). Best of all, Mozilla is free, and doesn't suffer from the scary security problems of the Internet Explorer/MS Office combination.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

• 2 months later...

Only the computer pros get scared about all these security holes. The rest of the world surfs their life in peace never needing to worry about such matters :lol: I've had the logout thing before, but If it's a long post, I alway back it up in the clipboard or write it in notepad. That's sound advice by someone.

Only the computer pros get scared about all these security holes. The rest of the world surfs their life in peace never needing to worry about such matters :lol:

That's not strictly true... they do need to worry about them, just most people don't know about them and carry on living in an ignorant bliss.

I don't have login problems with the board, since I have the option to always be logged in turned on.

However, of late, I've noticed the board's been often very slow to respond, and I've ended up losing posts to page 404 errors and other stupid errors like "No post specified" when I'd just written a 3 paragraph reply... Like azraelle, it find it highly irritating! I think the board is starting to behave itself again now, I'm not sure...

SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

For a moment, I would like to brag. I've never had this problem. But then, the last time I did a quick check of my typing speed, I was at 90 wpm, so I think that I can crank out any response faster than the board can shut me down, even when it is long. Okay, I have to be proud of something while I am in the "lay in bed and be bored" phase of post surgical care. :lol:

I find myself looking several questions ahead whilst working through an exam paper and thinking of the response to those questions... rather than what I'm supposed to be writing about! I can probably do about 100WPM. I haven't done a test recently. It depends what I'm typing from. If I'm typing straight from my own thoughts, then it can be quick, depending on the speed of my brain, amount of caffeine in it, and the hour of the morning! :lol: If I'm typing something out from a sheet of paper, then it can be slower. When it comes to typing out what someone is dictating, (or singing), I can be very quick indeed... It also depends on the keyboard on. I find laptop keyboard by far the easiest thing to type on (providing they have the home, end, backspace, and delete keys in the right place!!) SH

Re Security holes. OK, I do know about them, but I don't worry about them. Life is too short and there's nothing of interest on my machine apart from pictures of shoes. Re Typing. I guess I can do 50-60 when I get going, but make plenty of mistakes which probably brings the rate down a bit.

Dear forum masters,

I encountered already two times the same annoying misfortune. I visited a thread for looking what's new. Without locking in. Then I clicked on "post reply" and wrote my answer.....

This is strange. Whenever I am not logged in and I try to post a reply, I am automatically taken to the login page BEFORE I can type a reply. As a result, I never loose anything.

Since people are posting about their typing speeds, I'd like to brag that my typing speed is close to 180wpm. But if you count legibility, then it slows down to around 10wpm. :rofl:

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

I have no idea what my typing speed is, but since I don't often get to type lots of text, it's probably better than it seems. What does me in is changing keyboards. In here just now I have two different Compaq laptop keyboards, a standardish full-size keyboard, a mini IBM keyboard, and a VT420 terminal :( I do know that whenever anyone hears me typing at work, they tend to go 'Bloody hell! That's a bit quick!' Just as well the delete key sounds like all the rest :lol:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Different keys on my keyboard have different sounds, like the space and enter keys, and the F keys too. It's a nice keyboard though. Laptop keyboards are still my favourite though. So soft and quiet, and ergonomically very well designed (most of the time!) SH

Different keys on my keyboard have different sounds, like the space and enter keys, and the F keys too. It's a nice keyboard though. Laptop keyboards are still my favourite though. So soft and quiet, and ergonomically very well designed (most of the time!)

NO, NO and NO again!!!

I hate Notebook keyboards. My old Toshiba Satellite has just been reanimated by its fourth keyboard. My new Samsung needed after a shy wine treatment a five weeks lasting 200 Euro repair in Ireland. I bought this laptop because Samsung Germany resides only 10 km of my home :D

I have to emphasize that it was a very excellent wine - a dry "Riesling" from the Moselle valley. Now I guess if japanese keyboards only like "sake", the japanese rice wine :wink: ?

My colleagues total abstained Dell notebook needed also a "keyboard refreshment". I prefer the good old classical desktop keyboards from Cherry. The most stable and eternal living keyboard I have ever seen was this 1.7 tons :drinking: device delivered with the first IBM PC.

With heavy doubts about the life expectancy of your notebook keyboard.

micha

I have an IBM "AT" keyboard that was originally supplied with a second-hand 286 machine sometime back in about 1987. It has been used for about 75% of my computing here (er, the keyboard that is, the computer went into storage a very long time ago), and, apart from taking all of the keycaps off and cleaning them once a year, it is as good as new.

I haven't yet found a desktop keyboard that I'm totally happy with... But I just love the feel of laptop keyboards. If I could get one with the same feel for my desktop, I would (although it would have to have a num pad and a regular key layout!). I've never had any problems with beverages in my keyboard... drinks are for drinking, not typing!

And my laptop keyboard will last a fair while I'm sure... I don't use it that much, it's only suffered from a tiny bit of tomato ketchup, and it's not even sticky! :wink:

SH

I've never had any problems with beverages in my keyboard... drinks are for drinking, not typing!

And my laptop keyboard will last a fair while I'm sure... I don't use it that much, it's only suffered from a tiny bit of tomato ketchup, and it's not even sticky!

Hey SH,

Hamburgers are for eating and not for typing! :drinking:

But serious again: What's the brand name of your notebook rsp. the model? I'm really interested in information about notebooks with a reliable keyboard.

Thank you in advance for your answer

micha

Micha, sorry for the slow reply... haven't been monitoring the board of late... The laptop in question is an HP Omnibook XE3. And they keyboard's feel AND layout is good... (it's unusal for a laptop to have a decent layout), and it resists tomato ketchup (tomato sauce) very well! SH

I have two Compaq laptops - lucky me, eh? One's work's, and one is mine. My machine is a new Presario 700, and that's got a great keyboard. Work's Evo keyboard is OK, but the machine has no feet on the back to tilt the keyboard, so not so good. My fave keyboard at the moment is a chunky Digital one, attached to a VT510 terminal. That's the console of my UNIX server, and I sometimes find myself sitting there to bash in text, as it's one of the best keyboards ever. Old IBM keyboards are great! They're nice and solid, and have a great action. I'm typing this on an Advent wireless keyboard, which I've got used to. At first I wasn't so keen, but it's quite heavy, thanks to the radio unit, and it's wireless, so I can stick it on my lap, put my feet on the desk and still type. And I like that! What really grinds my donkey about the laptops is that I have two laptops from the same maker, but the keyboards are completely different! Well, okay, the QWERTY bit is the same, but that's about it! Argh! (ObShoe: Having my feet on the desk means that I can admire this nice pair of 3" spade heels I've got on :wink: )

What really grinds my donkey about the laptops is that I have two laptops from the same maker, but the keyboards are completely different! Well, okay, the QWERTY bit is the same, but that's about it! Argh!

I know! Stupid really.... I like the layout on the Omnibook, it's one of the few that's actually most like a normal 105-key desktop keyboard.#

ObShoe: Having my feet on the desk means that I can admire this nice pair of 3" spade heels I've got on :wink:

Spade heels?! Would you care to explain....? I have never heard of such a thing!

A glass desk woudl enable me to view my heels... although I can feel them very well without looking, and it's the feeling I like most!

SH

Spade heels?! Would you care to explain....? I have never heard of such a thing!

The ones that look like a block heel from behind, but a stiletto heel from the side. They're quite common as they're easier to walk on than stilettos, but look almost as nice from the side.

All you're missing is the fact that I can be really dumb sometimes. I've had a busy week, and I'm blaming tiredness and a pint of ale.

Ahh... and all becomes clear! (Except for perhaps your thought processes, Yamyam :wink:)

SH

Well, fair comment. In my defence, I'm sure that someone's on-line catalogue refers to spade heels. I'm sure it does :D

• 3 months later...

Okay, this was in the thread some time ago, and I know it is not related to the topic subject, but hey. We were discussing typing. Well, I had an official test. This is what goes in my record. Typing from another document - 75 WPM with 99% accuracy. The test is taken over five minutes, and an average is developed from that. A bit lower than my last test, but that was a stop watch counting down one minute. Most ads I have seen that require typing are looking for 50-70 WPM, so I know that I am testing above that. Let's hope that helps!

I'm locking this thread because it has really gone way off topic and very little seems to relate to the heading which was a bit confusing anyway. I've started a thread on typing skills in the general forum.