shoe material

heelma

I am often debating which shoe to buy: leather, PU, patent, ... anything else? I'd like to have leather but in my size (US Fem 15), there aren't many shoes to begin with and most of them are either patent or PU. Often I end up getting PU then b/c I found this more flexible and less striking than patent. Speaking of which - is a patent shoe made of leather that is made shiny, or is that also just some sort of plastic? Also, I read that PU is not good for your feet if you wear it very often. Why? I wear heels only very occasionally anyway, so it doesn't totally bother me, but I still wonder. Also along those lines, someone talked about getting shoes from Payless. Aren't they all plastic as well, at those prices? I got a few and the material always felt really "cheap". For example, I got a sling back with a strap on the bottom (going from left to right over my toes), and that thing doesn't seem to be flexible at all. It goes right into my skin when I wear it for 10 min. Is that just the nature of these shoes, or does it make a difference what material it is made of?

Hi, I believe most patents are artificial materials or Polyeurethane (pu). That's why they say for ewxample "Black Patent" as opposed to "Black patent leather" The PU materials are essentially plastic (actually vinyl I believe) and don't breathe like leather and may be more prone for your feet to sweat.

The seduce 460 in black leather is by far my favorite - they also have boots and pumps.... btw I'm also size 15. Patent in this shoe actually isn't leather but a vinyl like material, as is PU. The patent is more stiff, and stands out more in public wearing. I have three of the 460 oxfords - one in patent that I use sort of as a backup pair. They all look great with jeans or black or khaki chinos or slacks.

Buying heels in real leather in your size is challenging for sure. However, a few years ago I purchased two pair of boots from USAShoes (demars and now sexy shoes for less) and they are awesome!! I still have all three pairs even though I need to replace one of the heels. Their boots are some of the most comfortable 5" stilettos I've ever worn!! Real hand-made and pretty high wuality at REAL WORLD PRICES!!!

Check them out!

http://www.sexyshoes4less.com/

Look under Ankle and Knee boots. One little tip though...I found the regular width a little tight so I know I need to order wides next time. They FAR surpass anything I have gotten from The Highest Heel or Pleasers.

"Heels aren't just for women anymore!!" Happy Heeling! Shoeiee

Buying heels in real leather in your size is challenging for sure. However, a few years ago I purchased two pair of boots from USAShoes (demars and now sexy shoes for less) and they are awesome!! I still have all three pairs even though I need to replace one of the heels. Their boots are some of the most comfortable 5" stilettos I've ever worn!! Real hand-made and pretty high wuality at REAL WORLD PRICES!!!

Check them out!

http://www.sexyshoes4less.com/

Look under Ankle and Knee boots. One little tip though...I found the regular width a little tight so I know I need to order wides next time. They FAR surpass anything I have gotten from The Highest Heel or Pleasers.

Thanks! I looked at the website. For any of these boots there, when ever they don't say "patent" but just "black" or sth like that, does that mean it's leather? I don't see where they explicitly say that.

If a shoe is advertsied as leather then it should be made from leather. Be careful though because some will say "leather like material" this will almost certainly be PU. Some will list shoes as patent, this will almost certainly not be leather unless they are listed as patent leather. The shiny coating is plastic and usually applied to the poorer grade leathers as it was invented as a way to use up leather that would otherwise have been thrown away...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

If a shoe is advertsied as leather then it should be made from leather. Be careful though because some will say "leather like material" this will almost certainly be PU.

Some will list shoes as patent, this will almost certainly not be leather unless they are listed as patent leather.

The shiny coating is plastic and usually applied to the poorer grade leathers as it was invented as a way to use up leather that would otherwise have been thrown away...

I second everything the "doctor" sez. :roll: In the USA if it says that it's made from leather - a man-made material that is obtained from animal hides - then it has to have leather in it. However, so many mfgrs. today list "all man-made materials" as the material. That can mean just about anything from animal hides to plastic to brass or steel or just about anything else.:o In fact, about the only things it can't be are wood, stone, or bone. But you can be pretty sure that it isn't leather or anything very expensive. For my money, leather is the best.:-? It wears well and because it is somewhat porous, it seems easier on my feet.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Actually, if they say "all man made materials" then you will not find anything in the shoe that has been anywhere near an animal. Leather is perceived by the consumer to be a better quality material so they will tend to say that it has some leather in it if it has. In point of fact, leather isn't always the best quality material. Even very high quality shoes have resin soles because it is hard wearing, leather has to be treated and waterproofed and once this layer has worn through then the shoes need to be resoled. With a resin sole, it is waterproof all the way through. PU is a fantastic material for shoemaking. It has no flaws so therefore you get fewer failures and a pair of properly made PU shoes will have all the qualities of leather shoes and more. Some manufacturers use PU for durability and waterproofing and line in leather or fabric so that it will wick sweat away from the foot,

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

If a shoe is advertsied as leather then it should be made from leather. Be careful though because some will say "leather like material" this will almost certainly be PU.

Some will list shoes as patent, this will almost certainly not be leather unless they are listed as patent leather.

The shiny coating is plastic and usually applied to the poorer grade leathers as it was invented as a way to use up leather that would otherwise have been thrown away...

Dr. Shoe ...

You have a very good point. Most of my high heels are patent leather, not just patent. They seem to wear better and hold up better that some calfskin pumps that I have. You pay for what you get, and you get what you pay for.

Durability issues aside, one of the main advantages to leather is that it will conform to the shape of your foot better and faster than plastic materials which are stiffer and therefore less conforming. That means a lot greater comfort. With real leather, a trick I use is to take a morning shower or bath with the new heels (fun in itself, but careful not to slip in the shower and bust your butt), and then wear them the rest of the day until they dry. I always do this with nylon stockings so the shoes can dry and perspiration will wick away. By the end of the day the shoes have conformed to my foot very well, and the next time I wear them, they fit like they were molded for me (which in fact they were!). Try it yourself for a good fit. The technique can work with vinyl and other materials, but not as well, and it may take several tries. GWL