JP Gaultier fashion for men

Van

Didn't mean to imply that I thought his creations were the "cat's meow"! I just thought that criticizing Gaulthier for lacking utility was a bit like the pot calling the kettle black, if you get my drift. I've always been partial to Versace, Dolce&Gabbana, Anne Kleine, and Donna Karan myself.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

"I just thought that criticizing Gaulthier for lacking utility was a bit like the pot calling the kettle black, if you get my drift. " I have to admit that perhaps "utility" is a poor choice of a words to express my meaning. But now I'm curious. What pot is calling the kettle black? And please, if you explain this I might "get your drift".

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

The unique abilities of some of the posters aside (Laurieheels, Susan, Victoria, Phuonginheels, hiluc, firefox to name a few), generally speaking hi-heels are for dress-up occasions, the wearing of fashions. By dress-up, I don't mean, necessarily formal or semi-formal occasions, but business or public. You wouldn't usually wear hi-heels to play tennis, garage basketball, sandlot baseball, or a round of golf, or to fix the roof, the car, the pipes under the house, or patch the concrete in the driveway, unless you were trying to prove a point. Likewise, you wouldn't wear the latest menswear fashion by whatever designer, or for that matter International House of Male, etc., to do those things either. You would wear them someplace or occasion where "dressup" is commonplace. If you are a guy into wearing hi-heels, or skirts, or both, you don't pay much attention to the Practicality==utility of your clothes. If you DO, then you re-join the SHEEP who walk thru life in a daze wearing whatever grubby t-shirt and levis and sneakers they can find that don't look or smell too dirty to be worn! My point was that hi-heels lack a certain "Utility" the same way that Gaultier's menswear lacks a certain "Utility". To be sure, his "ability" to mix-and-match different clothing designs, colors, etc, is in my humble opinion (and yours, Bubba, apparently) abhorent. :lol:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

• 3 years later...

Does anyone have access to these Gaultier pics?

Hi kneehighs,

I still remember these old pics from his collection (2001 or 2002?). Jean-Paul Gaultier's male models had indeed to wear high heels on the catwalk. I believe that he understood it as a provocation for becoming famous in the world. Later I have never seen again similar styles from him :D

micha

The best fashion is your own fashion!

Its a bummer, I haven't seen similar styles from him either lately. He does however have a consistent history of putting men in stilettos on the runway dating back to the mid 90's. Hopefully, history continues to repeat itself. It helped give credibility to my position the other day when I was explaining myself, "Gaultier has been putting men in shoes like these on the runways since the 90's. Rick Owens' new Au/Wi '06 runway line featured many men in 5" heels..." Kind of adds some credibility to our position that heels can be acceptable on men.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

• 2 weeks later...