7" heels in the streets this summer?

Puffer

Have a look at this article (and comments) in today's Daily Mail (UK): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=560370&in_page_id=1879&in_page_id=1879&expand=true#StartComments

I strongly suspect the usual journalistic exaggeraration of heel heights, etc. Are we really going to see many shoes with six or seven inch heels in our streets? And if you take away the platform (often ugly and topheavy), I doubt that many shoes will provide more than a rise of 4.5" or so.

Platform shoes, with or without stiletto heels, seem to be gaining ground at the expense of the much more elegant single-sole courts or sandals. I can only guess that the small amount of extra height that platform shoes provide is an attraction for some women - but (whatever the writer thinks), we all know that a 6" heel does not add as much as 6" to one's height.

Forget 6" or 7" platforms - dare I hope that we might once again see true 5" (or higher) stilettos in the high street?

Yes, heel hights are often exagerated by the media. But in those pictures, some of those heels looked to be 5, maybe 6" high. If these do hit the mainstream, this could be a very good beginning. This is how the high heel trends of the 70's started. Everyone keep your fingers crossed.:roll:

Reading the comments in the Daily Mail shows some people don't read what is written. With a 2 inch platform, 6 inch heels are often 6.5 inches in the larger sizes, but the rise is still 4 to 4.5", less than a 5" pair of pumps without platforms. The 2 inch platform is not high enough to take away from the increased heel height, which is what makes them attractive. Just saw an ad for 9 in. heels! The taller platforms of 2.5 to 4" look sort of way out of proportion and bulky to me, but some people seem to like them. But the tippiness on uneven ground is why I finally gave them up in favor of platforms of a half inch or so, which are much more stable and have a much wider sole. The sole of your typical flat or men's shoe is wider than the foot, but women's shoes tend to have soles narrower than the foot, and the 2" platforms are tapered from the foot down to the sole, so the sole is narrower. Looks overpower practical wearability in those.