A Cuban adventure

Puffer

The thread started by Thighboots2 at http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/everybody/9299-latest_purchases.html#post143612 gave me much food for thought, and not a little encouragement to be a little adventurous. More specifically, Tb2 was kind enough to go on to give me some info and advice on men’s Cuban-heeled boots, which was very helpful. As I was ‘cautiously interested’ in getting a pair of these boots, I did some further research before going ahead and I can now report the outcome.

By way of background, I am just 59 (but told I look younger), 6’ 1.5” and fairly slim build (185lbs). I normally take a UK11 shoe and my feet are slightly wide across the joints (but no bunions yet!). I have found that pointed toes are not a problem; my feet are in fact a little pointed to suit! I am primarily an admirer of high heels on women but certainly not adverse to them on men and would like to ‘participate’ a little more actively. Discretion is necessary as my wife is by no means sympathetic to my interests (such as she knows of them) nor herself an enthusiast – more on that difficult subject another time, perhaps.

Some Google and eBay searches in mid-January revealed several sources of male Cuban-heeled boots. Most were very reminiscent of the ‘Beatle boots’, popular in the early 60s and still favoured by musicians and others adhering to the styles of that era. I never owned any then but I did wear the contemporary pointed shoes and boots that are again now in fashion (I hope!). Here is summary:

• The Underground make seems the most common; I think that is what TB2 has. The somewhat tapered (cowboy?) heel is more obvious than the blockier Cuban heel more often found on a man’s shoe/boot, but is neat and not indiscreet. The Underground list price (UM04 leather or suede, elastic sides) is £69.90, exc delivery. Underground told me of 3 stockists in Camden and I went there in January but the info was not fully accurate. Only one shop (Darkside, 245 High Street) seemed to stock the boots (£69.99) and I tried on a pair of size 12 in black suede with a zip rather than elastic sides. They seemed OK (and I liked the zip) but I wasn’t sure if the suede was what I really wanted, so I left them.
  • On the web, I then found the Underground boots elsewhere (but only with elastic sides); the best price was at Cloggs in Birmingham: £59.95 inc delivery – but no 12 black then in stock! The boots shown by Pennangalan look identical and were £68.40 inc delivery; ditto those from Rubba-Sole (£63.00 exc delivery).
  • I’m not sure whether the suede elastic-sided boots from Adaptor (£64.99 exc delivery) are also from Underground as the pic on eBay is not too clear.
  • London Boot shows what looks to be a slightly different elastic sided boot (lower heel?) at £59.99 exc delivery.
  • Rubba-Sole also lists a zip-sided boot with a centre seam (very nice 60s style, I think) at £69.75 exc delivery; here again, the heel looks a little lower.
  • There is also a range of several boots from Beatwear in Liverpool but these are significantly dearer; see below.
Spoiled for choice, you might think! My inclination was to get the Underground UM05 zip-sided black leather boot in a 12 but I couldn’t find it. Underground then told me that the zip-sided boots are still made but not shown on the website; I could order a pair for about 3 weeks delivery. I was also told that I should not have a problem in wearing a size 11 if my feet were not unduly wide. But Tb2’s experience (and comments seen elsewhere) did suggest that going up a size was sensible.

I then happened to find on eBay a shop in Darlington selling an odd pair of the Underground zipped UM05 in black leather in size 11 – picture below. They were on offer at a reduced price of £39.99 (exc delivery) because they were ex-display and one boot had a crease in the upper, which is exactly what one will get as soon as they are being worn! I contacted the seller who said that the size should not be a problem and I decided to buy them; they arrived promptly.

The boots are good looking and seem well made; the crease is entirely irrelevant. The heel is exactly 2.5” – a little lower than the 7cm suggested by Tb2, which is interesting. They did fit me but were a little stiff and tight, especially as the toes are not so elongated as on the more modern pointed styles (where I usually find an 11 to be a generous fit). However, I carried out some gentle stretching, using iso propyl alcohol/water mixture rubbed well in with the boots packed overnight with newspaper, then wetted again and worn ‘wet’ for a couple of hours with a polythene bags over thickish socks. This made them a good if snug fit, and they eased a little more with further wear. I should, however, have gone for a 12!

I ventured out in the new boots and fairly narrow jeans for a bit of supermarket shopping; I went by car and walked across the car park in light rain before going round the shop and then round the adjoining Homebase store. I had never before gone out in heels higher than the lowish (1.75”) semi-Cubans on another pair of boots and I was a little apprehensive. Well, the earth didn’t swallow me up, the boots were comfortable enough (when one got used to the smaller heel base) and no-one called me names! So, suitably encouraged, I determined to wear them again, and did so for local shopping trips. A business trip to Liverpool then gave me a good opportunity to wear them for a couple of full evenings, with much walking around and a sit-down meal. It was very appropriate to be in Beatle boots in that rapidly changing and friendly city, especially when sightseeing around the erstwhile Cavern Club. I visited the nearby Beatwear shop and inspected the boots there; they are expensive (£110+) but seem very well made; they have a fairly slim straight Cuban heel but the highest is only 2”.

I then decided to reveal the boots to my wife as I really didn’t want to keep them hidden away. I already had some chisel-pointed boots (which she quite liked) and my other semi-Cubans and had told her, quite truthfully, that the lower back and leg pain I was still suffering (following a bout of sciatica) was eased when I wore shoes with heels higher than the conventional 1 – 1.5”, and medical opinion agreed. I showed her the new boots and told her they were comfortable and, whilst she didn’t pretend to like them, agreed that they were an acceptable rather than fetish style for men. I then wore them during a day out with her and her only remark when I told her that they helped my back was to suggest that I didn’t seem to be walking too comfortably. (She was right in that my gait was a little different, but I didn’t feel awkward, physically or emotionally.)

So, there things stand, in more ways than one I don’t know whether I shall go ‘onwards and upwards’ in anything more daring, much as I might like to in principle. I really cannot see any objection to a high ankle boot with a slim (stiletto, even) 3 – 4” heel, ideally in a fairly plain style – and I would prefer a pointed toe but that is a matter of individual choice. Worn under jeans with the heel mostly hidden is one option – not a look I like on women (why hide one’s high heels?) but with the advantage of discretion to a shyer male. After that, who knows …!

post-1227-133522855512_thumb.jpg

Awe Puffer you make me blush ;) Glad you've found something that suits your style. I like to see other guys wearing the painfully few styles of shoes with heels out there that are marketed at guys dressed as guys. I have banged on about this before to the point of boring the whole community 'cos I don't think my views quite coincide with theirs, but this is free speech, so I'll say it again. It matters not what the style of heel you wish to wear is, other than a few exceptions, all heeled shoes are made for women - its a fact of life. Yes almost all of use want to be free to wear stiletto heels that are over 5" high, and go shopping down Oxford Street enjoying the clicking of our metal tipped heels. But in reality, this is not going to happen anytime soon. By men making the effort to purchase and wear heeled shoes designed for them in preference to the normal fare served up to us will there be a change. Purely because if sales are going that way, then manufacturers want to cash in to make money. Also as you have found out Puffer, if it comes from a mans shop, then wives who are not supportive suddenly find them acceptable and maybe even like them. Go figure. Sure you get the comment about altered walk, and above 2.5", it does have an effect. I agree that heels in the 2"-3" range help when you have suffered from sciatica - been there too - as usually you improve your posture to maintain balance that has been compromised by the higher heel. Correct posture is the recognised way to resolve sciatica problems, and if a high heel helps you achieve good posture, then good for you. On the sciatica point, I have a pair of MBT (Masai Barefoot Technology) trainers which are supposed to simulate the walking style of the Masai people and walking in sand as they. Weird things to wear 'cos they force you to balance yourself. Its like standing on the deck of a ship in heavy weather, but once you get used to them you notice you stand upright with perfect posture. Highly recommended footwear for people with back problems. Google MBT and read about them. Back to your post, I am not surprised the earth didn't swallow you up, because you are following in the footsteps of many here who wear heels that are far more outrageous (to society, not to us) than yours or my avatar which are definitively mens footwear. Happy days Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Glad you've found something that suits your style. I like to see other guys wearing the painfully few styles of shoes with heels out there that are marketed at guys dressed as guys.

I have banged on about this before to the point of boring the whole community 'cos I don't think my views quite coincide with theirs, but this is free speech, so I'll say it again.

. . .

I agree that heels in the 2"-3" range help when you have suffered from sciatica - been there too - as usually you improve your posture to maintain balance that has been compromised by the higher heel. Correct posture is the recognised way to resolve sciatica problems, and if a high heel helps you achieve good posture, then good for you.

Thank you, Tb2 (Simon). Yes, I am sure you are right that men eccentric enough to wear men's shoes (heeled or not) are almost a curiosity here. A form of inverted snobbery, perhaps!

I agree entirely about the sciatica relief. By standing more erect to counter the forward thrust of a higher heel, I am arching my back and thus mimicking the exercise I was advised would help. (Re-boarding a large ceiling at home had a similar effect but was not so pleasurable! Tiling a floor recently almost undid the good work and a couple of hours in heels was needed.)

Are your boots made by Underground? I'm curious whether there are other makes closely cloning the latter. Whether or not so, are the heels on yours in fact higher than the exact 2.5" of mine?

By the way, I sent you a short PM last night.

Regards,

Puffer

Puffer, Yes, they are the Underground model FRED. I have rechecked the heel height and it is exactly 7cm. They are strange to walk in though, not because of the heel being so forward, although that does take a little getting used too as well, it is because they are solid synthetic rubber so have a shock absorbing effect that generally is not felt with any shoe. As I said before and if anyone is considering the purchase of a pair, order one size up over your normal male shoe size otherwise you will find your toes crushed. Also expect a fight to get them on and off as the shaft fits very very snugly to your leg. Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Thanks again, Simon.

As, apart from the zip, your boots are identical to mine, it is strange that there seems to be a few mm difference in the heel height - but I won't get jealous! I agree about the solid but resilient heel; quite comfortable and with just enough noise to be 'interesting yet discreet'. I'll have to see what happens when they need new heel rubbers - I hope the mender can shave off the minimum necessary and add a decent replacement, perhaps a little thicker (to give extra wear, although a little more height would be a bonus).

I agree too about the fit and that getting them on is not too easy. I was initially worried that the zip might pull away under stress; it is obviously more vulnerable than an elastic side. Why these boots cannot be re-sized to avoid the need to go up one (in most cases) is a puzzle, but not unique to these items.

If anyone is interested, I see today on eBay that an outlet in Ontario, Canada is selling off the Underground Fred boots in several sizes at about £33 (i.e. half UK price) and other footwear too; go to http://stores.ebay.co.uk/popcultureshuz_Underground-UK-Boots_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ147591219QQftidZ2QQtZkm Shipping to UK probably not economic, though.

Great thread Puffer!

I'm keeping my eyes open for stylish mens heels as well. (See my posts here and here.)

I also came across Beatwear online, and intend to visit them to try some on when I'm next in the area (I go away on business several time a year, so it's only a matter of time before I'm up that way). Apparently Russel Brand has brought several pairs from them.

I'm not so keen on the curved under heel of the Underground boots linked to.

Has anyone else come across some cool mens heels?

As above.

Very useful and informative thread. Nice to read some background and detail about what produced a purchase, rather than the empty alternative: "Look what I bought" with no further detail on make/price/where to buy etc.

I look forward to further news. :roll: