Favorite music??? Tells alot about a person...

Renee

1. What are earliest favorite songs/bands? 2. What do you listen to these days 3. Over the years who are "all time favorites" an why? 4. Rolling Stones or Beatles? (sort of 2 ultimate bands... got choose 1 or other) The reason I ask is I think this will help us get to know each other. Thanks, Renee "Yes that is now my real legal name and I picked it out. YIPPIE!"

1. What are earliest favorite songs/bands?

Mike Oldfield is the earliest I remember

2. What do you listen to these days

Everything that's not boring. Really everything.

3. Over the years who are "all time favorites" an why?

Why? Hm, dunno. Well: Simple Minds, Abba, and lots of Finnish bands.

4. Rolling Stones or Beatles? (sort of 2 ultimate bands... got choose 1 or other)

Stones, no doubt.

What's all the fuss about?

I still remember a song from Scottish singer Andy Stewart when I was about 4 years old, later when I was around 10 or 11 I heard "A whiter shade of pale" on the radio and I bought my first record in 1973 from Creedence Clearwater Revival. Nowadays I listen to the radio, when I'm at work and in the evening then I can listen to the radio on the internet. I've been to Finland for a wedding of my collegue in 1977 and stayed there for holiday with friends from my collegue for 10 days. After the holidays I went to some of those friends and one of the records they played was an American band called Grateful Dead. I thought to myself:"wooooow, this is music I haven't heard before" They have an approaching to music I like very much, with improvisation like jazz have but in a rock-point of view. I still like that music allthough they split up after their guitarist's passing in 1995. Do I have to choose? I like both, but since I like longtimed music (then you can say something with your instrument) I vote for the Rolling Stones

The first record I ever bought was "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" by Ian Dury & The Blockheads. At the time and for some years after I was heavily into chamber music particularly Vivaldi and Correlli but my favourite classical piece must be Beethoven's 6th. I own records by such diverse artists as Human League, Manfred Mann, Elvis, Sinatra, Dire Straits to name a few. Now I'm heavily into Drum 'n' Bass with a bit of Vibey Garage and Hip-Hop. I also listen to R 'n' B (apt as Rhythm and Blues is rhyming slang for shoes :smile: ). I'm also getting into new wave rock from groups such as The Hives, The Strokes, The white Stripes, JJ72 and the Dandy Warhols. At the moment my favourite tracks are: Grace by Supergrass, Envy by Ash and Poor Misguided Fool by Starsailor. I like everything Ms Dynamite has done so far and as for Badly Drawn Boy... need I say more? If i had to choose between the Beatles and Rolling Stones I would choose the Beatles if only for their diverse influences and styles but the best band of the 60s (IMHO) has to be between Manfred Mann and the Kinks.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

1. Way back was 80s popular stuff. As well as some Chinese singers, such as Su Rei and yeah..... (I'm Chinese). Jiu Gan Tan Mai Wu is one, and I don't remember anything else. I lapsed for a LONG while before becoming interested in music again

2. Punk bands. Bad Religion, Good Riddance, NoFX, Offspring, Nerf Herder, etc. As well as Metallica, SOME Limp Bizkit, System of a Down, and Regular rock as well. Also throw in some dance tracks, trance (rave), and you got the gist of what I like. I simply cannot stand rap, pop, and r&b. as well as brit pop. Too superficial. Rock is becoming superficial as well.

3. Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit (RIP Kurt Cobain. We will get your wife one day), Metallica's Unforgiven (I and II), as well as Fade To Black, System of a Down's Chop Suey and Toxicity, LOTS of Bad Religion songs. These songs just sound good. And there's deeper meaning behind many of them, and they're "hard" enough so I don't get bored.

4. The Beatles. By FAR The Beatles.

now this will be one to make you wonder :grin:

1. earliest band/song? hmm! Bright Eyes by Art & Simon Garfunkel, song from Watership Down. Used to sing that a lot and for a lot of people :grin: Watership Down soundtrack was the first rcord I bought as well. C'mon, I was only 7 when I did that :o

For band it would easily have to be Queen :grin:

2. listen to these days? most things, but still prefer listening to Status Quo. They just released a new album so I'm off to get that :grin: I also like stuff by Offspring, Kiss, Limp Bizkit and many others, so I have a diverse taste but mainly for rock. I have a tendency for blues now and then :-) Anything by The Blues Brothers, especially soundtrack.

3. Status Quo and Queen. If you haven't been infected by their tunes and lyrics, then you're past saving. A lot of their songs are about life and their experiences and that's easy to understand. So I hear some of you muttering about how every Quo song sounds the same. Only in the same way as every thrash metal or grunge band sounds to me, monotous noise!

4. Stones or Beatles? very tough considering I think both are great, but I would tend to lean towards The Beatles.

But while the Rolling Stones have been mentioned, did you know that they were the first band to use a proper 'music video' ? Aha! You thought it was Queen with Bohemian Rhapsody! Well now you know, and it was filmed by Peter Whitehead, whose website I do :grin: Don't worry, my head isn't going to swell, it's not that much of an honour :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

1. Bryan Adams and Mariah Carey (YES for a while I liked her music :smile: ) 2. IRON MAIDEN ( YES they STILL rock today!), AC/DC, METALLICA (mostly pre - load but ocasionally listen to S@M, or Garage Inc., Kiss etc 3. This ones dead easy, IRON MAIDEN, they sound awesome on one of their studio albums but live they ROCK! and it doesn't matter if it's IRON MAIDEN (1980) or ROCK IN RIO (2002) the artwork is awesome! 4. The Stones but if i could i would vote for Maiden :grin: sorry if I overused capital letters I like spelling I ron Maiden with all caps. as well as album titles ok. later. TXT-1

1. Europe - The final countdown. Some of my parents records, such as ABBA and The Beatles. 2. A lot, as long as it sounds interesting. Wierd rock and electronic music, jazz. Cari Lekebusch, Pan Sonic, Autechre, Aphex Twin, Skeleton Key, Primus, bob hund, Hansson & Karlsson.. all I can think of right now. But loads more. 3. Primus, Skeleton Key, bob hund 4. Beatles. I am the walrus! goo-goo-gajoob!

1. What are earliest favorite songs/bands? - In the very beginning it was Michael Jackson, when I was 13 I got over that and afterwards it was Iron Maiden and Anthrax. 2. What do you listen to these days - Pink Floyd, Roger Waters, Ramms+ein, Fleetwood Mac, Bad News, Iron Maiden, Metallica 3. Over the years who are "all time favorites" an why? - Pink Floyd, just listen to The Wall and you'll know. 4. Rolling Stones or Beatles? (sort of 2 ultimate bands... got choose 1 or other) - This one's easy, The Stones of course Lion

1. What are earliest favorite songs/bands? the earliest thing that I remember listening to, if that is what you mean, is Kenny Rogers....My grandparents used to live on a farm. 2. What do you listen to these days: these days I listen mostly to country, but I also like Nine Inch Nails, hip hop, rock, 70's music, just about anything....and if I am in the right mood maybe even a polka. 3. Over the years who are "all time favorites" an why? Janice Joplin - because she has an amazing voice, Jimi hendrix and stevie ray because they were great guitarists but you also have to through Santana in there, and of course can not forget Hank......Hank Williams jr....that bad boy of country.....he just wrote great songs. 4. Rolling Stones or Beatles? (sort of 2 ultimate bands... got choose 1 or other) Rolling Stones......i just think that it is better writing and music. To me the Beatles were just using the four bar blues in every song....but most rock bands only know 3 cords anyway.

1. What are earliest favorite songs/bands? Well, my first album was Glen Campbell, but after that it was mainly Kiss, mixed in with Sweet, ELO, BTO, and a collection of the old K-Tel vinyl. 2. What do you listen to these days It varies, but one thing has to occur - it has to have a good 'energy feel' to it. It has to move me in just the right way, or it's just not worth the cost. I also sometimes buy CD's/albums based on the cover art. Weird I know, but I've rarely come across a dud this way. 3. Over the years who are "all time favorites" an why? I say that anyone who was into 'new wave' in the 80's has to have 5 artists in their case: Nina Hagen, Lene Lovich, The Smiths, The Cure, and Siouxsie & the Banshees. Nina Hagen was a classic operatic who went punk and still has a 4-octave range - and is German as well! I love the entire 80's new wave scene, such as Bauhaus (later spun off as Peter Murphy and Love & Rockets), Sisters of Mercy, Shriekback, and Midnight Oil. I could go on and on about this one! 4. Rolling Stones or Beatles? (sort of 2 ultimate bands... got choose 1 or other) Of the two, the Beatles of course! Sorry guys...the Stones just don't do it for me. I could never 'get into' their music, although some songs by them are OK in my book.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

1. What are earliest favorite songs/bands? My 1st CD bought was August by Eric Clapton 2. What do you listen to these days Moby, Life, Rolling Stones, Phill Collins, StGermain. and about 600 other CD's :lol::( 3. Over the years who are "all time favorites" an why? Clapton, Genesis, Yes, Roling Stones. Why the best cd's of them are never dull. 4. Rolling Stones or Beatles? (sort of 2 ultimate bands... got choose 1 or other) Stones. One can stilll feel them!! GJ

small or big doesn't matter, wear your heels proud .... that is!