more heeled travels

tallguyinheels

So I'm on another business trip, and like most of the public heelers here, I'm pushing my own envelope of comfort. This time a short ATL to Chicago trip. For the first time, and encouraged by other's experience, and my last trip through security in my 5 inch heels, I left my regular business shoes in the check in bag - figuring no way they will lose my bag on a simple non-stop flight. That meant walking from parking in afternoon sunshine in my stilletto oxfords into the crowded Atlanta airport - check in at one end of the terminal - walking to the other end. I've noticed watching my reflection - that even though when standing there is little or no heel showing in my long legged jeans - the heel is definately visable with each step from the rear or the side for those that chose to look. I am proud of my skill in heels now - walking in these heels is now almost second nature - with care needed only on the more slick polished floors in parts of the airport. I consciencely try to slow down and shortened my stride in the heels and try to relax and enjoy the experience now, instead of being anxious to overhear comments under restrained conversation of those that may discuss me in my chosen footware, or weird looks as the heels are removed to pass through security. It was nice to not carry the extra weight of an extra pair of pants and shoes in my shoulder bag through the airport. And as a bonus, the check in attendant offered me the exit row window seat. I was the last to climb aboard the rental car shuttle at Ohare, but again - no comments or strange looks. The main thing to take away from this is that with the exception of a little bit of toe uncomfort from a total of eight hours in 5 inch heels non-stop, it was a normal trip. I plan to heel the return trip - tomorrow AM.

At the Budget Rental return desk this morning, 20ish black woman is locked on my shoes as I stride into the empty office to settle up the account. As I approach the counter, she says "Like your boots". Of course, the toes of my black oxfords peeking out of my jeans look a little like a boot. I'm fairly sure she can't see the 5 inch stilletto heel. I was at first not sure what to say, so I just complete the paperwork. But is was too good an opportunity to stay quiet so I before leaving the counter I (Can't believe - but glad - I did this) I said "thanks for the compliment on my shoes, I really like them - but they aren't boots." I took a step or so back and raised the jeans - Either she'd freak or whatever - didn't matter - I'd never likely see her again. Well, she let out a smile, and said "I didn't expect that! What are those, 4" heels? You are already so tall!" I said, "I like the look and it balances my proportions, without the heels, my legs would seem too short." She added, "You sure walk well in them, I would have never guessed." About that time another customer came in the door, so I thanked her again and gathered my bags for the shuttle bus... Big smile on my face (and on hers)!

The rest of the trip was non-eventful. But, It was a lot of walking. Heels on at 4am - Drive 45 minutes to Ohare, filling rentacar with gas along the way, Nice experience at Budget (see above) Relatively long (30 minute) security line with lots of standing, Walk to the end of the concourse (of course) for my gate - toilet stop along the way with a big smirk from a guy busting past my shorter stride entering the rest room. Stand for another 4o minutes because of the crowded gate area for morning flights. Board the plane sandwiched between a businessman and a Pakistani wife. Feet swelling flight - plus I caught a bit of a cold in Chicago - so no rest on the flight. Arrive in ATL - end of the concourse again! and the baggage claim is at the far end and then walk out to my car on the parking deck. The dogs were a bit in pain after that - probably a couple miles walking today. Took the heels off in the car. Feet recovered - dropped the heels off at the shoe repair shop for heel tip replacement, so they will be ready for the next trip!

• 3 weeks later...

Great stories! Thanks for the accounts. I am planning a business-related trip soon and plan on doing some heeling- glad to hear that yours was so successful.

Style is built from the ground up!