According to Wikipedia ...

Puffer

Looking at Wikipedia today, I see that this entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiletto_heel includes in its brief reference to the history of the stiletto heel the following statements:

'Stiletto heels were invented in Italy and became very popular in the 1950s. And popularity did not stem only from women, as men wore stiletto heels just as often. At first, the heel was looked at as another way to make someone look taller while adding a certain panache to their style. It was very common for men of social stature to wear this type of shoe with their formal outfits.'

I wonder who wrote this and whether he or she truly believes that men have been regular stiletto wearers? Or perhaps it is just the writer's wishful thinking?

Yes, Eric, we all know that men have worn high heels in the past as a normal fashion. But the Wikipedia entry I quoted refers specifically to stilettos; why is it stated there that these have been commonly worn by men? You are not suggesting that this is a correct statement, are you?

Yes, Eric, we all know that men have worn high heels in the past as a normal fashion. But the Wikipedia entry I quoted refers specifically to stilettos; why is it stated there that these have been commonly worn by men? You are not suggesting that this is a correct statement, are you?

Well, for one thing men have worn stilettoes over the last 500 years or so. For another thing, the definition of stilettoes has changed considerably from what we know today. In years past heels were much thicker. What we might call chunky heels today were known as stilettoes.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Well, for one thing men have worn stilettoes over the last 500 years or so. For another thing, the definition of stilettoes has changed considerably from what we know today. In years past heels were much thicker. What we might call chunky heels today were known as stilettoes.

Some fashion plates depict French Nobility (males) wearing heels with a narrower heel in the 1600s, but I'd have to call them tapered block heels, at best.

Sorry, Guy, I don't understand your comments. Where is your evidence that men have ever worn heels that could conceivably be called 'stilettos' (i.e. thin as well as high) regularly and in public, apart from in TV, fetish or fancy dress contexts? The true stiletto heels of the late 50s-mid 60s period were almost always of the same slender profile, flat and straight at the front edge, more rounded and curving in from the back and not set too far back on the shoe. The first (mid-50s) stilettos were a little thicker, before manufacturing techniques (if not also style) facilitated and encouraged narrowing. Many so-called stilettos seen within the last 20 years or so have been distinctly thicker (chunkier if you wish) and/or set further back on the shoe - but heels like that that have not been a male fashion either at any period, have they?

I can still find no basis for accepting the Wikipedia comment as correct, however generously we interpret its sweeping assertion and however much we wish it were the case. Some editing called for, I think!

Sorry, Guy, I don't understand your comments. Where is your evidence that men have ever worn heels that could conceivably be called 'stilettos' (i.e. thin as well as high) regularly and in public, apart from in TV, fetish or fancy dress contexts? The true stiletto heels of the late 50s-mid 60s period were almost always of the same slender profile, flat and straight at the front edge, more rounded and curving in from the back and not set too far back on the shoe. The first (mid-50s) stilettos were a little thicker, before manufacturing techniques (if not also style) facilitated and encouraged narrowing. Many so-called stilettos seen within the last 20 years or so have been distinctly thicker (chunkier if you wish) and/or set further back on the shoe - but heels like that that have not been a male fashion either at any period, have they?

I can still find no basis for accepting the Wikipedia comment as correct, however generously we interpret its sweeping assertion and however much we wish it were the case. Some editing called for, I think!

Well, since this is not a court of law, I'm going to abandon the argument before it breaks out.

But DR 1819 sez, "Some fashion plates depict French Nobility (males) wearing heels with a narrower heel in the 1600s, but I'd have to call them tapered block heels, at best."

I think the French refered to such heels as TALONS, which could easily be translated into stilettoes in Italian. One must never overlook the fact translation of a term from one language to another is more than the mere exchange of words. You are actually making the translation across cultural lines and, therefore, introducing a whole host of variables that are not so readily defined. One example is the expression, "out of sight - out of mind" in English might be rendered, "blind and insane" in some other language.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Interesting comments, Guy, and you may be right to suggest that poor translation could be confusing the issue.

However, as Wikipedia stated that 'Stiletto heels were invented in Italy and became very popular in the 1950s' (which statement I think we all accept as true, or at least not totally false), I cannot accept that such a heel could be confused with some other fairly slim and high heel that may have been worn by men in another period and/or country. The entry seems clearly to be written with what we all know and love as the stiletto heel (i.e. the 1950s invention) firmly in mind and it is that specific heel style that is being (unjustifiably) said to have been a contemporaneous male fashion too. Where did that idea come from?????

No, this is not a court of law - but I rest my case anyway. It is not Guy I take issue with but the author of the Wikipedia entry.