Stretching Exercises?

elliesboy

Hi Folks, I've been wearing 5" heels for a while now, and have just "upgraded" to a pair of 6" locking ankle strap courts. I thought they would feel a bit higher but nothing prepared me for the difference in sensation with 6" heels! The only problem I'm having is that my toes don't bend up enough to allow the shoe to fit on properly. I think they need to bend up at almost a 90 degree angle. I'm sure a woman or other everyday heel wearer would have the flexibility for this, but as an occasional wearer, I'm struggling! Can anyone suggest any techniques or exercises to overcome this? Thanks in advance!!

As you have just discovered, any increase in heel height has a far more profound effect as the height goes up. Go from a 2-inch heel to a 3-inch heel and the effect is barely noticeable. Go from a 3-inch to a 4 and the effect is considerable -- although certainly manageable. Go from a 4 to a 5 and it's night-and-day. Go from a 5 to a 6 and, well, you know. I might suggest something a little less radical as an interim "step" (no pun intended) -- try a 5.5 inch heel and get accustomed to that, then go to the 6-inchers. It's no doubt -- 6 inchers are a challenge. I probably never will be able to wear them well.

Have a happy time!

this is an interesting topic. i would also look to hear some replies on this thread. jmc i dont believe the height difference is what elliesboy is referring to. personally i feel my ankles have the flexibility to easily accomodate a 6 inch heel. i note like elliesboy that although my foot can easily point straight down like a ballet boot angle, my toes dont bend far enough upwards at the ball of the foot to stay parallel with the floor at that foot angle. if that makes sense. any ideas folks

Thank you both for your replies. Jmc, in hindsight, going for some 5.5" heels would have been the wise thing to do, but the lure of the magical 6" figure was just too much! In fact, due to my shoe size (I had to buy UK11 in order to fit) the height is closer to 6.5". New_look, you have hit the nail on the head, so to speak. My toes simply don't bend that far! I would like to think that if I wore my shoes for long enough, my toes would adapt, but sadly this isn't practical, and after more than a few minutes standing in them, actually becomes painful. However, my ankles can just about cope with the heel height. If anyone has any suggestions for exercises that could be carried out in a "vanilla" environment, e.g. under the desk at work or around the home, I would appreciate it! :wink:

I find that doing exercises in ballet boots help me. I put them on and then stand up with my legs as straight as I can get them to the point that I'm forcing them straight. I have to hold on to something to steady myself on the grounds that I can't seem to balance properly while standing. Timing it, I hold this pose as long as I can stand it then sit down again and repeat the exercise trying to beat my "record" each time until I am able to stand for a minute. I then walk around a bit usually just a few paces in a small circle. I then sit down and take one off and, with holding the foot in the ballet shape, I put on the high heel before repeating the process with the other foot. They feel like flats then!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

doc i get ur idea that would be great for stretching the top of the foot and or the ankles so that your foot can point downwards at a steeper angle easier, but it doesnt do anything in making your toes bend further back any ideas anyone nl

the problem might be simply the shoe it self. try another sixincher too (best would be another manufacturer). it can always happen there are heels not as good fitting your feet (form). I have e. g. problems with domina series from pleaser- although not even 6 inch and I really love some styles they offer- but those shoes hurt me.

sorry for appearing persistant on this thread, but im interested to find an answer here. pata looking at how my foot can bend, in or out of a shoe, i find that my toes dont bend back very far at all, especially considering how much the toes bend back in a 6inch heel. i have seen pictures before when people can bend their toes way past what i can, although my ankle flexibility is quite good. can this part of the foot be stretched like the ankle tendons, or is it a genetic bone thing nl

doc

i get ur idea that would be great for stretching the top of the foot and or the ankles so that your foot can point downwards at a steeper angle easier, but it doesnt do anything in making your toes bend further back

any ideas anyone

nl

Actually it does. The thing that stops your toes from bending is the Achilles tendon which is exactly what you're excercising with my technique.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

sorry for appearing persistant on this thread, but im interested to find an answer here.

pata looking at how my foot can bend, in or out of a shoe, i find that my toes dont bend back very far at all, especially considering how much the toes bend back in a 6inch heel.

i have seen pictures before when people can bend their toes way past what i can, although my ankle flexibility is quite good.

can this part of the foot be stretched like the ankle tendons, or is it a genetic bone thing

nl

It's the achilles tendon that needs to be stretched. Regular exercises will help enormously...

...Or perhaps it's your age mate!

Unfortunately I don't have a pair of ballet heels to stretch in, so I tried Dr Shoe's exercises in my 6" heels. New_look, I think there might be something in it! Rather than say to myself, "Right, I'm going to stand in these heels for 30mins / 1hr / whatever", I took it very slowly. 5 mins standing, 5 mins sitting, 6 mins standing, 5 mins sitting, and so on until I had stood for 10 mins, which is way longer than I had been able to manage before. I put the keys for the locking ankle straps right at the other end of the house, so there was no temptation to take the shoes off during the break periods. I don't know if it's my imagination, but I could swear there's a tiny bit more movement in my toes - maybe my Achilles tendons are giving a bit. Incidentally, once I had finished I tried my old 5" heels on - they felt like a pair of bedroom slippers! It might be a while until I can wear 6" all day, but it is progress!

Well as you have figured, going from a 5 to a six has moved your ankle forward and not much upward. The sensation is unique. I love the shorter - toe to heel - length of the shoe. The drawback is the flexibility of the achilles and the thighs. The toes will flex in the weight once the achilles and the thighs are taken care of. for the thighs, try, for each left and right, laying on your bed or on the back of a sofa with one lag extended along the bed or back and the move the other forward in a staddle like position as far as possible. Then, using your arms, push your torso upward, arching your back and strething your quadracepts (front of the leg muscles) hold for 30 seconds - repeat a dozen times goin for a little more extention each time. For the achilles, you want to set on your knees with your legs straiaght and arch your torso backward -even to the point where your knees seem to lift off the ground... if you do this exercise in your heels it's even better. Warning though: Do not do this is you have knee problems or injury.

I was having the same trouble you were. I just kept wearing my 4" heels until they fit better, and then got some 5" heels and kept wearing them, and then finally i got some 6" heels, and while i almost fell on my face, they fit like a glove! What i did was crouch down while wearing them, because they were a bit tight, and the toes were struggling to spread out. Then after a while, they started to spread out with everyday wear. Good luck!