cowboy boots

stellah

Guys, what do you think of cowboy boots? Do you make the difference between what usually the shop have as "women's " and "men's"?

I think the women's cowboy boots are by far better looking - even if you are not a high-heel addict. They have about a 2-3 inch heel a nice shape. Do any of you guys like to wear feminine cowboy boots?

Posted Image

HH forever!

Guys, what do you think of cowboy boots? Do you make the difference between what usually the shop have as "women's " and "men's"?

I think the women's cowboy boots are by far better looking - even if you are not a high-heel addict. They have about a 2-3 inch heel a nice shape. Do any of you guys like to wear feminine cowboy boots?

Posted Image

I agree, the heel is usually higher but also the toes are pointier, or more square... more expressed than the ones for men. I don't wear them because they are feminine (rather the opposite) but because they have decent heels and look sharp. My wife doesn't agree though, she says there a clear line which is not to be crossed. _sigh_

Unfortunately a lot great looking cowboy style boots are in a very odd colour, beige or pink or light blue or something like that, with some faux snake over the toe or somewhere else.

Bert

What's all the fuss about?

I buy the kind of cowboy boots I like. I have 8 pairs and one pair on its way to me, and of these 9 pairs are two for men, that clearly set the point for that "ladies" cowboots look better. And yes, I do wear most of them public, no bad reactions yet, and the heels are up to 9 cm high. Well, I had to change coulor of some pairs, I dont like to wear pink boots, most depending of I dont like that coulor.

Since I've never found a pair of ladies' cowboy boots in a size larger than 10, I can only say that I would not be deterred by a pair in pink if they were in size 12 or 13 and FITME! :x

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Yeah, sad but true. Here in our shops the largest ladies' sizes are 2-3 in short my size - thoese are nice cowboy boots. And yes, the color could be a little less pinkish :smile: They cost about $70 here...

HH forever!

• 1 month later...

Hi there

I'm about to make the biggest move yet in high-heel land. Since my wife almost tolerates me wearing my 3" cowboys, I've compiled a list of requirements that would make an acceptable boot for both parties. I haven't reviewed it with her, but would like to hear some feedback from experts first :smile:

My wife has said:

- she has nothing against me wearing heels as such, but

- they must be MADE for men

- nothing should be referring to a female style

- they must look manly, solid and strong

- the colors must be neutral

- the toebox must be square, not pointy (like biker boots)

Somebody named Tom below referred me to Western Ranch. I have made some inquiries and they would cost me $375 + shipping, being $430, let's say 460 EUR or so if the dollar behaves a bit. Then there is the import duty since they come from Canada, which is unfortunately not in the EU, which means 11.9% extra, adding up to 515 EUR. That will be topped off with VAT, which is a whopping 22% in Finland. Total bill 627 EUR. Wow... pretty steep.

Hm... I never calculated it like this before, and now I'm not so sure any more if this is worth the investment....

Anyway, what I was about to ask: what do you think of this description:

---cutcutcut----

Hi Nick.

Thanks for the clarifications and the help with the measurements.

I have made up my mind and this is what I would like to order:

- a pair of tall top boots

- black leather, "moderately shiny" (the kind normal shoes are made of)

- 18" shaft, shallow scallop (I would suggest 1"), so 17" at the back, with pull-on straps

- no design on shaft necessary, but they can be stiched together left and right of course.

- square (snout) toe. I like it when the toe box "leans forward" a bit. The toebox can be very square at the edges..

- I would like that the sole under the toe box has "sharp corners". Your snip and pointy toe models have it, but the snout model has the sole "rounded off".

- 4" heels, measured straight down at the back

- heels not too underslung, but enough to allow easy walking.

- spur ledge on the heels (but not too wide, it's only for the looks)

- rubber heel caps

- It's important to me that the shaft is straight. I have a pair (with 3" heels) of which the shaft is perhaps 5" bent over to the front when I take them from the closet. It looks like it's a boot which was made for 2" heels but then a 3" heel was used. The 5" and 6" heel boots on your website have straight shafts so I'm sure it's possible: the boots on http://www.westernranchboots.com/custom/andrews-boots.jpg and http://www.westernranchboots.com/custom/high-heel-boots.jpg have them right.

- I have several pairs of boots with 4" heels which I could walk in for 16 hours straight with no problem, but I also have a pair with 3" heels that are killing me after half an hour. It's important that you apply your judgement to do what it takes to make them fit well and comfortable to use. I'm not a bootmaker, far from it, so I can only try to describe what I want. If I ask impossible things above, please drop me a line and I will be happy to consider alternatives.

- The "foot part" of the boots on http://www.westernranchboots.com/custom/johns-boots.jpg is pretty close to what I would like to have. I guess that heel is more like 2.5" vs. the 4" I'm after, but the choice of leather and the toe look quite nice.

- The measurements below were taken on both feet, with thin cotton socks on, at 05:30PM, on a 20" high table, with weight applied on the foot. The largest figures (variation between feet was less than 1/4"):

* First phase measurements:

------------------------------------------

1. length: 27.5cm / 10.8"

2. ball width: 11cm / 2.35"

* Second phase measurements:

---------------------------------------------

1. circumference of ball of foot: 25cm / 9.9"

2. circumference arch/instep: 26.5cm / 10.45"

3. circumference heel/top of foot: 34cm / 13.4"

4. circumference calf (widest): 41cm / 16.15"

I wear size 42, 42.5 and 43 shoes in Europe, the boots I brought from the States are stamped 8 1/2, 9 and 9 1/2. The nine usually fits best.

Shipping address:

--cutcutcut---

Darn, I was pretty confident that this was the right thing to do, but at THAT price...? And if Bush starts to make some noise in the middle east and the dollar skyrockets, they'd cost me 700-800 EUR... that's perhaps not the figure that I had in mind.

Grrr. Now I'm in a slightly different mood than when I started typing. Does any of you know of a good bootmaker in the EU??

Bert

I just thought I would add my modified 3 1/2" sancho boots to this thread.

Posted Image

They don't have a square toe box and but are not overly pointy either. In fact, a clossic cowboy boot shape. Great for dancing all night. I have danced all over Moscow and London in these, in many clubs. They hardly raise a comment either except admiration. They were marketed as a woman's style but they're completely unisex, if one likes attributing genders to shoes. I'm not in the habit of doing that, but I realise it is important for some people.

Well, I also took a look at the Western Ranch boots - would love to have one of their 5" boots - maybe with a rounder toe style. But the expense fot this within the costs for shipping taxes, etc is to much for me now, too best wishes Joak

There's gotta be a less revolting way for a guy to look "stylish" in a pair of high heeled boots!!! If the boots in the first 2 Western Ranch URL's were the only way I could wear high heels, I would give up on the whole idea! I have to agree with terayon on this one, although I have seen some really attractive women's cowboy boots from Dan Post, Laramie, and others.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I totally agree with You, Azraelle! Cowboy boots are worn by women and men - it is not an alternative for highheels. But if women can wear HH cowboy boots, so can men - right? :smile: It just adds styles to your variety.

HH forever!

There's gotta be a less revolting way for a guy to look "stylish" in a pair of high heeled boots!!! If the boots in the first 2 Western Ranch URL's were the only way I could wear high heels, I would give up on the whole idea! quote]

That used to be my opinion too. But as it would be the only possible way to convince your wife, you'd perhaps consider it.

Bert

Hi Bert, I remember early 70's I bought a pair of cheap non-leather 3-1/2inch heeled cowboy boots from the women's rack and back home cut off part the sewn in ribbon inside on top of the shaft. One ribbon indicated the brand and size, the other indicated ALL MAN MADE MATERIALS. When my dad looked a bit quizically at my boots and thought these were women's models, I took one off and proudly showed him the ALL MAN tag, neutalising any further critics. Dad being Belgian didn't have a clue about US male and femme sizing, he also never had been in the states while I had spent a full year between the cowboys in Oklahoma, he took it all when I told him those were fashion around Texas for the young aspiring cowboys. I only had paid about 15$ for my heeled boots and often wore them under jeans. I don't know if I would be willing to spend 500 Euro for a pair of heeled boots because they just happen to be marketed for guys while for 50 Euro you could buy a very similar if not identical model sold in the ladies department. Good luck anyway.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

I wished I could find a pair like pictured below but they (still) belong to a friend of me and he doesn't want to separate (yet). Although these were sold two years ago as women's boots I thing they look very masculine and should have been marketed for all genders.

Bert, don't you think your wife could accept these (omitting the fact from which rack they came)?

Posted Image

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

I've seen some okay-looking cowboy boots in Barratts, for about UKP50. They are on the 'girls' side, but I had a quick peek. They've got about a 1.5" heel, but quite pointy toes, and come in baby blue, pink, beige, or black. To be honest, I'm not dying to buy them, but I'd probably have used them as a half-way house if I hadn't already been seen in 4" :grin: Perhaps I'll try them when I get a chance. I had meant to pop to the shops tonight, but I had to work late. Darn my EPMs :smile:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

• 1 month later...

I have noticed a growing fashion at the present time for cowboy style boots in female and male styles. I have to say that you would be hard pushed to tell the difference between some of these except that the heel height on the female ones tend to be available higher. I may buy something suitable for outdoor wear myself.

i have a pair of knee length cowboy boots with 5 1/2 " heels and beetle boots with 4" heels. superb to wear and draw attention from females.

Does it work? (In the positive sense)

Actually this is Xaphod on Calv's computer. I'm wearing a pair of the Beetle boots with 5" heels at the moment. You are right about the androgenous nature of these heels, just looking like ordinary cowboy boots with rather special heels. Since they are made to measure, they are easy to wear even at 5" without the usual problems of off the shelf shoes. I've had this pair all Summer and have worn them quite a lot. They seem to be my default pair of boots at the present. XA

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Xaphod, yes I agree the current style is definately androgenous.I pass a shop most days selling a selection of cowboy style boots for both men and women. Depending on the heel height/toe shape,stitching etc it looks possible to get a pair that would be ideal for daily wear, possibly even leaving people unsure if they are womens or mens ! :smile: I might just have to take a serious look. By the way what are beetle boots?

HI, Spiky,

The beetle boots are the name that Western Ranch give to their ankle length cowboy boots with an elastic gusseted side.

See www.westernranchboots.com

If you look on their 'high heels' link there is a pic of the boots.

Posted Image

Heres the pic

XA

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

yeasterday I bought cowboy boots just above the ankle 7 cm heel height and what I`m proud the most I told the sales lady that they are for me. This was the first time taht I told that "fem" shoes are for me :grin: Ther was another nice boot model but the size 40 ( my usual ) was to tight --->> ankle height with an extra zipper ( decorative element ) and the classy heel and toe box shape ohw and I`ve done like Highluc , tried them and put old one in the box :smile:

Aaawww maaaan!!! :smile: For the price it's either a pair of western boots or a pair of Ballet heels, which to get first.... :grin: Which to get, so many choices.... :grin:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Most likely I go for the boots. Maybe something with a true 3.5" heel? Most of the boots I have are around 3" or 4" but no 3.5". Or maybe I want 4.5"....Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :smile: Square toe, round toe, or pointed……. Choices……..Hehe!! :grin:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!