How to Walk in High Heels

Thighbootguy

There have been lots of questions about learning to walk in heels. Here is a site that seem to roll all the good advice into one article. I made the assumption that the article was written to advise women on wearing heels but it's exactly the advice I'd give to a guy (especially the part about looking at yourself in a full length mirror).

How to walk in High Heels

The Shoe Offers sidebar even had a Heels for Men entry.

Since sites have a way of vanishing I blatantly stole the text from the site:

Here's How:

1. First practice just standing in high heels. In front of a full length mirror, stand for a while, then turn slightly to each side. Not only will you be able to check your posture and profile, but the act of merely standing in high heels will help remove some of your apprehension, and let you get accustomed to the added height of the heel.

2. Take a few steps in your high heels. If possible, do this at first on a hard floor (not too slick), or in a room with low carpeting, as really thick or padded carpeting can throw off your balance.

3. As you walk in high heels, remember to keep your legs straight and as close together as possible. With each step, point your feet as straight in front of you as you can. Start off with slow, determined steps at first, being extra conscientious of each step. As you build confidence and experience walking in high heels, it will become much more natural.

4. Continue walking back and forth across the room, turning different directions, and stopping without wobbling on your high heels. Once you're comfortable with this, try the same thing on different floor surfaces, and remember to start off slowly with each one.

5. When it comes to actually walking comfortably, practice, practice, practice. If you haven't ever worn high heels, or you are already comfortable in high heels, this sounds silly. But trust me, the first time you put them on, you'll see what I mean. Wearing high heels is a totally different walking experience, and if you take it for granted, you'll not only end up with sore feet, but possibly an injury. And, if you have a bad experience first time out, you'll be doomed to flats forever.

6. As you grow more confident in your abilities to walk, turn, and do all the other things you might need to do in high heels, you can move up to the height of shoe you'll be wearing on the day or night of your event - but remember to start slowly with each bit of added height. Jumping from two inch heels to four inch heels probably will not be quite as disorienting as your first step in any high heels, but it still will require patience and practice.

7. When wearing high heels on a staircase, always use the rail if it is available, or at least be close enough to a rail that you can reach it if you need to. When climbing steps, your entire shoe heel and sole should land firmly at once on each step.

8. If you know you'll be slow dancing in your high heels, you should practice side-to-side stepping, as well as turning slowing in your high heels before actually hitting the dance floor.

Tips:

1. If high heels are not your thing, or if this is the first time you'll be walking a lot in high heels, you may want to consider "working your way up" to the heel height you'd like to be wearing. Start with a lower heel than the high heels you'll be wearing on the day or evening of the event, and practice walking in them first, using the above steps as you work your way up through to higher heels.

2. Consider starting out with a chunkier high heel, as opposed to a stiletto. If the high heels you'll eventually be walking in have a thinner heel, you can at least adjust first to the "added height" element before adding balance to the equation.

3. If possible try to limit the number of obstacles in the first high heels you'll be wearing - for example, a pair of high heels with rounded toes will probably be more comfortable than pointy-toed shoes, and you can concentrate more on walking gracefully in high heels if your toes aren't being pinched together.

4. Try at first to avoid backless, or extremely flimsy high heels. Opting for a pump, or a sandal with an ankle strap will add support for your ankles, and will definitely help in your attempt to walk in high heels.

5. Fast dancing in high heels can be extremely dangerous, and should be avoided. But don't think it's okay to simply throw off your shoes and head barefoot onto the dance floor. This can be equally or more dangerous if you were to step on broken glass, or have someone else's spiked heel come down squarely on the top of your foot. If you have a chance to remove high heels before dancing, do! When clubbing, opt for a lower heeled shoe that you can dance safely in - or go to the club, and don't dance.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

An additional item of consideration not usually mentioned: Most people wearing a heel higher than they normally wear tend to slouch over a bit. This sends the hips backward and increases the bend at one's ankle, increasing the liklihood of injury or fall. Instead, hold your head up high, allowing the hips to move forward a bit. This will exercise those abs, as well as decrease the ankle bend, and give you a much more graceful walk, whether man or woman.

I find shoe fit is important too. At the last heel meet, my stilletto boots were so comfortable and fit well. This played an important part in me managing the whole night in those boots - even when tipsy! :drinking:

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

I find that you naturaly begin to walk in a more composed fashion and less like a bow legged thug. Id been struggling a bit with my 4" heel River Island knee length boots, then a few weeks ago I brought some 4" heel sandals, I wore them for two days just about the house and now I feel like I can walk in anything. My next purchase will hopefully be a pair of 4" heel wedge sandals to go with casual jeans/linen trousers.

This all seems very complicated - I just do one step in front of the other. :roll:

Well, it IS complicated! If people were born knowning how to walk in heels, we wouldn't need any advice. We probably wouldn't have all the controversy :argue: about men/women wearing heels either. Just think on it - if everyone knew how to walk in heels we could all just go down to the local shoe store and buy the heels that suit our fancy. No controversy about men wearing heels, no controversy about how high the heel or any of that rot. Men could greet each other politely in the street and say, "Nice pair of heels you have there, where did you get those?"

Personally, I'm thankful for the advice, and I think Jenny did a fine job.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I don't think its about being able to walk in heels. Anyone can walk in heels. Some better than others for sure. Whether or not you are good at walking in heels has nothing to do with societal acceptance of men in high heels. It's not the ability to walk in heels - it is acceptance that you seek. It's not like walking in a heel is rocket science. It takes practice and skill. But that isn't why John Q. Public will have a problem with a man in womens shoes. I don't care how good you are at walking in heels - some will disapprove of your footwear choice. Men can wear high heels by the way. I do. Lots of members here do. Every day. Publicly. And some may be bad at it. But they can do it. Why? Because they choose to. And at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Mike

Well, it IS complicated! If people were born knowning how to walk in heels, we wouldn't need any advice. We probably wouldn't have all the controversy :argue: about men/women wearing heels either. Just think on it - if everyone knew how to walk in heels we could all just go down to the local shoe store and buy the heels that suit our fancy. No controversy about men wearing heels, no controversy about how high the heel or any of that rot. Men could greet each other politely in the street and say, "Nice pair of heels you have there, where did you get those?"

Personally, I'm thankful for the advice, and I think Jenny did a fine job.

A lot of this depends upon the availability of high heels in most men's sizes, which I've found to be sadly lacking by a factor of around 57 to 1.