International Men In Heels Day

Dr. Shoe

Let's set a date when all of us will pledge to go out in heels. This isn't a heelmeet as you'll be doing it at a location of your choice, either at home or in a neighbouring town. Let's get the public noticing that men do and can wear heels as part of a non-fetish wardrobe. It doesn't matter if you've never done it before or if you're an old hand. I can't help thinking that if everyone who reads this site and has an interest in wearing heels did it then it'd become fashionable. Who knows, it might change your life and the hearts and minds of the public and manufacturers! I propose Saturday 15th July. Post your pledges here.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Awesome idea Dr. Shoe!

I propose October 11th as our "International Freestyle Coming Out Day"

Why? Because this is the "National Coming Out Day" already being promoted by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) in the United States. The HRC is America's foremost weapon for assimilation of the LGBT community, the umbrella under which Fashion Freestylers like ourselves fall.

Is there a more powerful international society? Amnesty Intl? Perhaps there is an equivalent organization in the UK or Europe?

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

The problem with that is is that it's only going to serve to reinforce the publics idea that freestylers are all gay...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

The problem with that is is that it's only going to serve to reinforce the publics idea that freestylers are all gay...

I agree. I wouldn't make it a formally announced day with some kind of title, but get everyone to just agree to wear them on that day.

I will of course be wearing my heels on whatever day you decide because I wear them everyday, but I won't flaunt them for personal reasons (maybe I can do my shorts with wedge clogs if in the summer).

I'm not talking about "in your face" heel wearing (unless that's what you already do) just a co-ordinated effort to raise male heel wearing in the minds of the public and show that it is a viable sartorial proposition.

I'm not talking about "in your face" heel wearing (unless that's what you already do) just a co-ordinated effort to raise male heel wearing in the minds of the public and show that it is a viable sartorial proposition.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against it, just given my situation I can't be blatent or flashy, however since I wear mine everyday, I will be in heels on that day:) If we pick a hot weekend, I can wear my clogs with shorts, and given I also wear an anklet, I am sure it will draw more attention that my normal descrete ones:)

Indeed, just wear heels like you would normally do if you're an old hand or go out the first time if not!

Hi to all, here my comment. In july there is the traditional CSD in Frankfurt. By the time this event has become more and more meaningful. Today its not only a gay meeting but simply a meeting of all queer people and the biggest meeting in Frankfurt besides carnival or the actual soccer WC 2006 :roll: A welcome speech of our mayor is meanwhile a duty. Our female mayor Petra Roth from the conservative Christian Democratic Party (CDU) was appearing every year on the CSD :wink: May be that this is a little bit confusing for Americans outside of NY or California ... Therefore I don't like the month july. And I don't like any discrimination of heterosexuals, crossdressers and gays. I'm sure that one half of the participants of the Frankfurt CSD are heterosexuals. But isn't it great!?

The best fashion is your own fashion!

Actually, I was wondering whether July was the right month because in many places it would be too hot for boots. How about a few suggestions?

Im in on any date actually. Perhaps a date in the Northern Hemisphere Fall or early Spring would be a good date for our Southern Hemisphere members. Then the weather would be cool enough for anyone in the world to wear boots.

Indeed. How about mid September?

That would work:

Here is a calendar

Saturday, September 16th or

Sunday, September 17th or

Saturday, September 23rd or

Sunday, September 24th

--as a side note. I was brainstorming doing a good deed on that day too. For instance, one time some tourists came up to me while I was standing in my Nine West pumps in the Meatpacking District and asked me how to find West 4th street. I cordially and articulately explained how to find West 4th street and I know they were grateful for the help I gave them--inspite of my heels, which I know they noticed. Just an idea really...

In my opinion september or october is a good choice. In many regions of the northern hemisphere we have the beautiful indian summer. In the southern hemisphere (Australia, Brazil, Argentina ...) it's early springtime. In both cases the right weather for wearing pumps, sandalettes or boots :oops: I like Dr. Shoe's idea. Every year a common meeting at a fixed date in changing countries. Naturally not in countries where we are walking directly into prison :roll: Btw: next weekend is the first allowed Christopher Street Day in Warsaw in Poland. A gay german green party member of parliament was just coming back from the forbidden Moscow-CSD with several wounds. His mistake was simply to trust in the help of the police as a stone throwing counter-demonstration attacked the meeting. Thank you mayor Luzhkov :wink: Moscow is a partner town of Berlin, London and Paris. The mayor of Berlin (Klaus Wowereit) is gay himself. I'm disappointed about his diplomatic reaction. Only the french mayor Delanoe said clearly "definitely unacceptable!" :oops::cry::lol: Hmm, at the moment I can't imagine a male high heel meeting in Moscow ... cheers micha

The best fashion is your own fashion!

• 1 month later...

How about the first weekend in September, which falls into labor Day Weekend. Not only is it marking the end of summer but then we would have a entire 3 day weekend to be seen in heels. If your busy with family stuff at least one of the three days would be doable for heel wearing. Thats my thoughts. ems8hh

Sounds good to me.

This is NOT an organised meeting but just a day when we make a concerted effort to wear heels at the same time regardless of where we are in the world at the time. Even in countries where the wearing of women's clothes is illegal (?) male type heels can still be worn!

• 5 months later...

Suggestion: If the large majority of street-heeling members are "straight" and are worried about appearing to be "gay", then why don't we call it "Straight Men In Heels Day". Then, whenever the event is held, the date would not be an issue. This suggestion is not meant to upset anyone, but of course it might upset gay streetheeling guys who wish to "come out" as gays on one of the days mentioned on previous postings and would feel excluded by a "Straight" event. If this is case, then I hope another way can be found of pleasing everybody at a men-in-heels day, and I hope any other thoughts of suggestions can be posted. Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Another idea that hits me is why not do it on the same day as the International Heelmeet? That way people who are unable to make it can be with us in spirit...

Another idea that hits me is why not do it on the same day as the International Heelmeet? That way people who are unable to make it can be with us in spirit...

Sounds like a good idea to me.

And so the International Men In Heels Day was born.

How about the first weekend in September, which falls into labor Day Weekend. Not only is it marking the end of summer but then we would have a entire 3 day weekend to be seen in heels. If your busy with family stuff at least one of the three days would be doable for heel wearing.

Thats my thoughts.

ems8hh

I think it would be better during the spring, matching up with the London heelmeet.

Spring is always a catalyst for change...