What's your favourite Beer (or drink)

Ain't nothin like a real GUEUZE ! The real thing is getting difficult to find, only a few artisanal breweries in the Pajotteland region west of Brussels. It is the only place were this very strange beer (which tastes more like an old cider than beer) can be brewed. Try to find a bottle of Oud Beersel or a bottle of "Mariage Parfait" (brewery Frank Boon in Lembeek near Halle). Also recommended is the Gueuze Girardin, brewed in one of the last farm-brewery in St-Ulrich Kappele (near Groot Bijgaaarden). These beers are among Belgium's best kept secret. You won't find them in bar. Usually the best thing is to go a buy a crate directly in the brewery. If you like a more fruity taste, try the Kriek or the Framboise (fronm the same breweries, not the commercial stuff). A votre santé ! Vanessa

Firefox wrote "I quite like the strong export continental lagers. Kronenbourg, Stella ..." I'm always surprised to see brits considering Stella as some kind of superior brand while in Belgium it is one of the most common "pils". I'm not too keen on pils anyhow ... you're gonna smile but i'd rather have a pint of bitter ! Cheers Vanessa

• 2 months later...

but if thirsty like CC7, a mix of Canadian Club with 7 Up, very refreshing.

My dad used to drink those ("7&7" or "7-7") depending on where you were ordering.

When it comes to beer I like Samuel Adams, especially the Cherry Wheat sort. Red Stripe is also good... Chimay is great, but pricey... Guinness still holds no competition, though.

When it comes down, I like the wheat beers more, especially Hefeweizen. At least that's an advantage of living near a military base. The liquor stores sell a LOT of European products, beer and spirit alike.

And for spirit, I like afpelkorn quite a bit.

Beer: Lapin Kulta,

wine: Spanish red wines (full taste)

Whisky (single malt): Bowmore 12y

Lapin Kulta?? bööö...

Got a Karhu kolmonen here beside my keyboard. But still nothing beats Hoegaarden (they have it on the terrace at Sanomatalo)..

Bert

What's all the fuss about?

apfelkorn is great when stuffed into a freezer for an hour and then poured.

I used to do that in college with Rumple Minze peppermint schnapps. (Why that brand? Maybe all those ads with the one-eyed bosomy sword-wielding valkyrie had something to do with it. I don't know. :smile:) Anyway, I'd drink it by the cupful, and was the only one who could take it. As one of my friends said "I can't drink this... there're fumes coming off it!"

:drinking: :grin:

Another thing we'd make was Cocoa With A Kick. It was regular instant cocoa with a liberal dose of butterscotch schnapps or peppermint schnapps. The trick was getting the water warm enough to properly treat the cocoa mix but not to harm the schnapps. It made for many a fun experiment! :rofl:

:drinking:

Have to agree with Firefox about the German, Dutch, etc beers. But I also like Budweiiser, which I know doesn't get taken very seriously by "beer experts". Non-alcoholic, black coffee, or sometimes tea. I get throught an amazing ammount of bottled water as well.

Who cares what the experts think...

We also often drink a glass of wine, and a "mediocre" wine like Sangre de Toro is perfectly enjoyable, no matter what the experts say. Goes fine with various kinds of food or just as dessert wine.

Something I perhaps should be ahsamed of, but what I think goes even better with (greasy or oily) food, is Pepsi Max. That's only marketed in Europe I think, it's something like diet Pepsi for you guys at the other side of the big pool. The (artificial) sugar and the acid neutralize the fatty stuff that you got in your mouth after eating particular kinds of food... Talking about diet Pepsi: when we were in the States then a few weeks ago, my wife an I discovered diet Pepsi Twist. That's then something that I have never seen in Europe, and we guzzled quite some gallons away.

Posted Image

What's also really good, is genuine Florida orange juice. Outrageously expensive here in Finland, something like $6 a quart/liter, and it doesn't travel too well, but sometimes it's worth it...

There are tastes and tastes...

Bert

I didn't know there where so much Pepsi tastes. I have never heard from dies Pepsi twist so I looked it up on the net.

http://www.pepsi.com/current/joy_of_pepsi/product/

There are 6 different tastes Pepsi available.

I am more a Coca Cola with bacardi person, or vodka and red-bull. If i am drinking alcohol. Lately I drink more and more plain water, that's better for my stomach.

I've had Pepsi Twist a couple times. It's OK. Diet Coke can also come with lemon, and I find it more palatable than ordinary Diet Coke. The big one now is Vanilla Coke. It started out only available in 20oz bottles, and now is moving into 12 can packs. It's really good, and the vanilla is subtle, so it doesn't overpower the drink. Pepsi is also selling a blue drink creatively titled "Blue." The place I work at recieved a small amount, and two of us sat in back debating over it. It's not bad, but the label says "Berry Cola." There is no cola taste at all, and it's more like a blueberry taste. We didn't see it staying in the Pepsi line for a long time.

Pepsi Blue looks like windscreen washer fluid. I might try it if it were free, but I would have to sniff at it first, to make sure someone was not playing a trick on me. Frightening what people create these days. I have had vanilla coke, I think it has a nice after taste. My niece says she hates it. *shrug* I'll have regular old coca cola any day, and in massive quantities, please!

I WAS going to say that Pepsi Blue looks more like, well, the water in an airliner bathroom, but I didn't want to disgust anyone here. Coke has Cherry and now Vanilla, all they need is Chocolate and they'd score the whole old fashioned soda fountain. But I'll never turn a Coke down.

Hey Guys (and gals), what's goin' on ? This thread started nicely about beer, baccardi, canadian club ... and suddenly it degenerated into comparing the taste and color of various variations of Diet Pepsi. What's gone wrong ? Have yu all turned sissy or what ? Vanessa

Hey Guys (and gals),

what's goin' on ? This thread started nicely about beer, baccardi, canadian club ... and suddenly it degenerated into comparing the taste and color of various variations of Diet Pepsi.

What's gone wrong ? Have yu all turned sissy or what ?

Vanessa

Now read this: "what's goin' on ? You used to be a nice guy who could talk about sports, business and culture... and suddenly you degenerated into somebody comparing the different kinds of high heel shoes and boots. What's gone wrong ? Have yu turned sissy or what ?"

Bert

I had diet coke with lemon today. It's like diet pepsi twist I think. Anyway it wasn't particularly nice, but I'll generally drink diet coke/pepsi by choice if I have to have that sort of thing because regular coke is water with 60 sugar lumps dissolved in each glass which teeth and and waistline could best do without.

Diet pop has artificial sweetners which make one retain water and bloat. if I am active enough, I'll take the suagr any day. I can burn it off and brush my teeth for the cavity protection. But bloating from water retention is just nasty! Either way, both are better than having some high fat chocolate bar concoction.

Here is some of my favorite drinks: Soda Pop- Mountain Dew (very addicting) Domestic cheap Beer- Budwesier Domestic MicroBrew Beer- Widmer Hefewizen Imported Beer- Guiness, Corona, Foster's Lager Hard Alcohol (straight)- Jim Beam Mixed Drink- Long Island Ice Tea Dan

• 2 weeks later...

French Champaign- Mums Cordon Rouge Brut is my fav. French Chardoney French Beaujelais In winter St. Emillion type bordeaux Stolichnya vodka Icey cold Bass Ale on a hot day Grande Marnier or to wake me up at night Kaluha coffee laquir fresh orange juice dark roast coffee (New Orleans type- no chickery)with milk and sugar. club soda Diet Coke at fast food restaurants I am not a snob about French wine it is just any other country's gives me a headache. Renee

• 1 year later...

I drink water, Diet Coke, water, Iced Tea, water, Fruit Juice & water during the day. I make myself drink 80 ounces of H2O daily. Tanqueray/Bombay Sapphire & Schwepps when I'm at a Lounge (limit 2/night).

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.