Explaining Fashion Freedom

JeffB

While at work yesterday, I was stopped by a new member of the staff who couldn't help but notice me in my Renetti red slings (it's impossible not to be noticed in five inch fire engine red heels!) and she asked why I was wearing women's shoes.

Secretly, I was rather elated because it had been awhile since I last explained my personal manifesto on fashion freedom, so I told her that I wear high heels because I enjoy the personal sense of freedom that comes from breaking out of the mold of what's acceptable for the genders to wear, that I found men's shoes to be incredible staid and boring compared the near limitless variety than comes with women's shoes. That I've loved women's shoes since I was young and that I enjoy wearing them. I could see in the lady's eyes that she was still curious, so she next asked the typical stock questions:

1) How do you walk in high heels?

2) Where do you find women's shoes that large?

3) Don't you worry about how other people will react to you?

4) What do your supervisors think about your shoes?

My responses were practiced and came naturally:

1) As with anything and everything, practice, practice, practice!

2) Almost exclusive via the Internet

3) Once I did, but not anymore. If people react, fine, if they don't, still fine.

4) As long as I do my work well, they don't care what I wear on my feet.

I finished our impromptu little chat by explaining that I wear women's shoes because I love them, how it's my passion, that wearing heels makes me feel incredibly good inside and makes me stand out from the crowd. She grinned and said I was very unique and that the slings looked nice on me. And with that, we went our separate ways. Yet another example of how women are more accepting of a man in heels. Even though this lady didn't know me from Adam, she had no problem with what I wore. Looks like I've made another convert at the office!

:wink:

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Hi Jeff B, I just wanted to say that your first comment was the best answer to justify why you wear heels. I feel that same way but I could never really say all that in those amount of words. You really know your stuff and man I applaud you!!! Keep clickin those heels.

Posted Image

What ya see is what ya get no more or less!!

JeffB Seems to me your new colleague thinks it is not strange that men are walking in female shoes especially on HH Does your female colleague also wear highheels? Or are you the only one who is walking on HH at your theatre job? fex

Wow thats cool. I agree with hiheellover23 about your first comment. I wear heels just becuase I like the way they look and as with some women, they can make me feel a tad bit more confident even a tad bit dare I say more attrative at times. (I don't know its weird.) Anywho Its cool that some women or becomeing more accepting. Maybe I'll try public wearing again one day. Cool pic hiheellover23.

It's all good. ~Arron.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I just do the very best that I can to advance the cause of fashion freedom. By fully explaining why I do what I do, both casually and with candor, I help dispell the myth that what we do is fetishtic in nature. As I've said in previous posts, it's amazing how women for the most part are so open and accepting of men wearing heels, and, in my case, they've been very complimentary regarding my shoes. Now, to answer those questions: Luxxyheels: I'm on a mini-vacation for the rest of the week, but I'll be breaking out the pink shoes next week! Stay tuned! Fex: Not many women at the office where I work wear heels on a regular basis, at least not heels as high as mine. The woman I talked to didn't. I can count the women who do on one hand. But hey, that's their choice, and this is mine! :wink:

I'd probably venture to guess that men are as accepting of other men wearing heels as are women (probably a bunch of closet heel-wearers among them) but that women are more apt to approach a man in heels and ask questions.

I'd probably venture to guess that men are as accepting of other men wearing heels as are women (probably a bunch of closet heel-wearers among them) but that women are more apt to approach a man in heels and ask questions.

Maybe, maybe not, it's hard to say. In the four plus years I've been wearing heels at my place of work, not once has a man ever broached the subject with me, so I have no way of knowing if they're accepting or not, and my one hard fast rule about my public heeling is that I never ask anyone to comment on my shoes, nor do I go out of my way to solicit opinions, from either gender. I simply go about my business, and if people wish to comment or ask questions about my shoes, then I'm ready to talk about them, and not before. Still, it would be interesting to have a man inquire about my choice of footwear!

JeffB, I agree with you completely on not soliciting comments on your shoes. It's a known fact that if you corner people with a question about your shoes, people are more likely to become uncomfortable and tell you exactly what you want to hear, but not necessarily the truth. People who volunteer their opinions, however, are almost always genuine in their feelings about your footwear. These to me are the positive responses that count the most.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I agree with Shafted. People that are queried "cold" on subjects tend to respond with answers they believe the questioner is looking for. I, like JeffB, wear stockings and my "women's shoes" everywhere (it's been four or five years since I've worn a pair of my men's shoes). Granted, some styles are less obvious than others, but they are still shoes manufactured for the female market. Then again, with styles like my 4½" heeled J-Lo boots (which I love to wear) there's no way they can be mistaken for men's shoes. As for acceptance --- I believe the proper word is "ignore." In this day of political correctness, it's not nice to comment on things that are "different. After all, who are we to judge? "Those that are unapproving or uncomfortable see your heels, look away and act disinterested (unti, that is,l your back is to them and then they look at you until they become embarrassed).

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Good comments from Shafted and Bubba. I've never been the type of person who intrudes or sticks his nose into other people's affairs, so, when it comes to my footwear, I just let the shoes do the talking and wait for people to respond. And yeah, the unsolicted comments are always best since people aren't under any pressure to give you a response and it's always more natural instead of forced.

Oh, yeah, the shoes I wear are very obvious, especially when I'm out and about in colors like red, white or navy blue with five inch heels, so I leave no doubt in the mind of those around me that I am wearing women's shoes. By the by, Bubba, that's a good theory about acceptance/ignore, and you're probably right, most people figure that silence is golden when it comes to anything that's outside the norm.

In the meantime, I'm just dying to get my hands on a pair of J-Lo boots, but can't find 'em in my size. So far anyway! Heh!

Maybe, maybe not, it's hard to say. In the four plus years I've been wearing heels at my place of work, not once has a man ever broached the subject with me,

It's because of our unwritten taboo rules.

Still, it would be interesting to have a man inquire about my choice of footwear!

It appears that many men have done just that, here on this board, no?

I would think, JeffB, one of the greatest indications of how other men take your heel wearing is by/from the way they treat you during your interacation with them. Do they chat up sports with you during lulls during the business day? Or, perhaps, other subjects-- like cars and/or current events -- with you. I know from personal experience working in similar environments that it's impossible not to interact with others working in the same office to a certain degree. And, I also know from personal experience that it's easy to tell if a person's action is friendly and geunine or just prefunctory. If a male co-worker stops by your cubical to shares a cup of coffee with you, that's one thing. However, if your only companionship is with the women of the staff, then, they might believe the "male wearing heels" has more in common with the female members than with the other males.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

JeffB:-) I like your way of thinking and you were cool in answering the questions from your new co-worker and satisfying her curiosity about your shoes. This may open the door for further discussions between her and you at a later date. Who knows? Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Bubba: Well, since there are so few men at the office, my chances to interact with them are far and few inbetween. But on those times that I do, we chat about sports, cars, politics, all sorts of stuff. All their reactions to me are normal and genuinely friendly. I get along well with the other guys, and they get along with me. No problems at all. To me, that's certainly a good thing. :wink: