Change in Heel Heights

bluesman

Up until recently, all of my public heel wearing had been with 4" or 4.5" block heeled boots. Every time I wore them I was very self-conscious, even with long pants and in agreeable situations. I was always aware I was on an "excursion", even though no one ever commented. I've now acquired a pair of 3" block heeled boots, and despite their somewhat curved heel I feel like I'm wearing just any old footwear when I go out. No more hiding my feet. It's really weird - it's like after my 4" boots, I feel these lower heels are almost invisible. Perhaps its just my confidence level...or the positive comments of my co-workers. Anyone else experience this relief, for lack of a better word?

"It's just a flesh wound"

Once you get used to higher heels, when you go lower, they feel almost flat sometimes. It's weird, but it's the way they feel after you're used to taller heels. I rather enjoy it since I've started experimenting more with 5" heels, my 4" ones feel really comfy now! :)

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Yop Bluesman, agreed with shockQueen. I have the same experience. I use to walk in 5" clogs. After 2 or 3 hours at that height, when I put on 3 or 4", I feel like walking on flat shoes... Heels are addictive. The higher the better, and the easier when you go down... If you want to walk confidently in 4", train on 5". :) Marc

Hi Xaphod,

yop, they are from La piazza highheels... http://www.la-piazza-highheels.com. I bought a pair of 5" clogs from them one year ago and found their service good. So, since I was looking for a new pair of boots, I went back to their site and found these... and said wow, I need one pair of those. I will order one...

Happy browsing.

Marc

Bluesman's exploits sounds similar to my own experiences as I gradually began wearing higher and higher heels in public. These days, I've been wearing this style at the office almost exclusively:

Posted Image

I've got these mondo sharp looking pumps from Sexy Shoes in black, black patent, brown, navy and turquoise. In a few weeks, I'll also have them in bone, white and wine patent. With a 4 1/2 inch heel (measured from the back), these shoes are quite comfortable and quite easy to walk in. In fact, it's become rather hard of late for me to wear any other shoe as I look damn good in those pumps.

A year or two ago, I never would've worn anything over four inches. Nowadays, I can't bring myself to wear anything under three which indeed feels like flats. It's quite interesting how this mindset has come about for me and everyone else here.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Nice pumps Jeff, I would never wear such shoes at the office, not even sure I would go out with them... But after all, pumps are really nice. What was the reaction of your coworkers when you first wore them at the office? :) Marc

JeffB:-) There is a big difference in the style, heel, and looks of what you are wearing to the office today and your Avatar pic. That office pump is a great design and you do wear them very well and co-ordinate your out-fits perfectly, (you lucky dog). I sure wish that I could do that, but can't on my job, (wish! wish! envy!). All in good fun, of course. More power to you. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Nice pumps Jeff,

I would never wear such shoes at the office, not even sure I would go out with them... But after all, pumps are really nice. What was the reaction of your coworkers when you first wore them at the office? :o

Marc

Well, Marc, the reactions have been extremely positive. I began wearing women's shoes publically in October of 2000, starting with bulky block heels, then working my way up to blades, then finally pumps which has been my everyday shoe of choice since 2003, so my co-workers are long used to what I wear on a daily basis. People say I look stylish in pumps and that I wear them well.

JeffB:-)

There is a big difference in the style, heel, and looks of what you are wearing to the office today and your Avatar pic. That office pump is a great design and you do wear them very well and co-ordinate your out-fits perfectly, (you lucky dog). I sure wish that I could do that, but can't on my job, (wish! wish! envy!). All in good fun, of course. More power to you.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Yep! Quite a difference indeed! In fact, I plan on changing my avatar and using that very pic since I wear those shoes a whole lot these days! HA! I know I'm very, VERY lucky to be in such an environment where I'm able to wear what I want, and be accepted, even complimented for my footwear to boot. I think I've mentioned this somewhere else, but I've been told by co-workers that I'd actually look strange in men's shoes and I should never wear them! Talk about acceptance!

:)

Jeff,

just being curious. What type of job R U doing? You say that U R lucky to in a environment that allows U to wear what U like... I feel a little bit jealous. :)

Marc

I work for the federal government as a Personnel Clerk. The work we (about 200 strong, 95 percent women) do is processing resumes for people who're looking for jobs in the federal sector. We don't come in direct contact with the public (our customers), so the dress code isn't as strict as it would be someplace else. It also helps that I'm a good and dependable worker who gets along well with everyone, so folks don't get hung up over the shoes I choose to wear.

Like I said, I'm quite lucky.

P.S.

To Dawn: I've changed my avatar, just like I promised! I just LOVE those pumps!! :o

Jeff is fortunate in that policies within the US federal government non-military personnel system prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, relegion or sexual orientation. I believe the possibility of punitive action against the agency that discriminates against any employee in one or more of these categories is, perhaps, responsible for employees that want to demonstrate their individuality can do so without fear of reprisal or dersion. Therefore, once over the "shock and awe" associated with non-conventional appearances -- and given the fact that JeffB is also a valued and dependable employee, with time the fact that he wears heels as part of his normal dress, easily fades from consciousness and his co-workers concentrate totally on his personality, abilities and contributions. (which, is as it should be)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

JeffB:-) Thanks for changing your Avatar pic as it suits you better as an up-date of the style of shoe that you wear daily. Your old Avatar pic was becoming a bit out-dated. I also love that style of pump. I don't think you could find a more stylish designed pump than that one. You will notice that I'm not the only one that is a bit jealous of your adventures in office heels, and that's probably the way it should be. You are certainly riding the crest of the wave. Keep it all going and milk it for all it's worth. Congrats again. Bubba136:-) I quite agree with you 100%. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Jeff, Bubba and Dawn, That's for the reasons you are talking about (non-discrimination) that I like the USA. Very few Europeans understand american people, seeing in only Bushy warriors invading poor countries for their oil.. :) Wearing heels or having alternative behavior in the States may be easier that in any other countries in the world... Let's continue wearing heels and help changing the world to more diverstity and respect. Marc

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, those pumps are incredibly stylish and I wear them as much as I can. I forgot to mention that I have the slingback variant in black and brown, and those shoes are extremely sharp too! I have all those shoes in size 14 because they only come in regular width and worried that 13 (my normal size) might be a tad tight. As for my work environment, from day one there was never any hue and cry over the shoes I choose to wear, both my co-workers and supervisors have been extremely accepting, even to the point that I get the occasional "How's the weather up there?" jokes. Like I stated previously, I'm appreciated for my reliability, personality and being a hard worker, so what I wear on my feet isn't a problem. Finally, the new avatar, yeah, it's pretty darn cool if I do say so myself! :)

• 1 month later...

I believe Jeff's avatar is a catalog shot and it is probably the angle that the picture was taken that creates the impression that the heel is bending backwards. If I am correct, that picture is from Sexy Shoes

Check out "High Heel Pumps," style no. 5119

Posted Image

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.