Reasons for NOT wearing heels?

heelsRus

There are many people that don't like wearing heels (my wife included). Some will wear them when they have to (or feel they have to), but some never will. What reasons have you heard for why these are evil shoes? I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion, just curious what reasons are given.

These are reasons I have heard why women won't wear high heels: 1 - they are hard to maintain proper balance 2 - only prostitutes wear high heels ============================================ These are reasons I have heard why men won't wear high heels: 1 - you have to be gay to wear high heels 2 - you have to be a crossdresser to wear high heels 3 - you have to be mentally deviant to wear high heels

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Before I begin, please bear in mind these are not my own reasons - merely others': 1. They hurt one's feet, ankles, calves, knees, legs, hips, back, etc. 2. Don't want to associate with the image it conveys. 3. Tired of getting the heel stuck in every crack. 4. Increases undesirable from undesirable males, while reducing desirable attention from desirable males. 5. Increases undesirable attention from others, period. 6. Good heels are too expensive! 7. Can never find what I like in my size. 8. Matching clothes are too expensive! 9. Flats are simply more comfortable. 10. My husband prefers me wearing Uggs. Hey - it COULD happen, although the liklihood would be about 1 in 3.5 Billion...

My own personal reasons: 1. They're uncomfortable and cause blisters 2. I can't balance properly in them standing still, walking's extremely difficult 3. I'm tall enough as it is without adding to it 4. They don't suit the sort of image I normally convey (baggy jeans, baggy t-shirts and an old army duffle coat don't go well with heels) 5. They make me feel very self-conscious, probably beacuse of the fact I end up 6 foot tall (or over) and wobble precariously 6. Flat shoes are more practical Why blokes shouldn't wear them: well, ok, so I fail to find a good reason. Without wandering too far down the psychology route, I guess I'm a little obsessive-compulsive (correct me if I'm incorrect, but I think that's the right condition) and I have a set of rules in my head that it makes me uncomfortable to break. Mostly these are simple things like not eating strawberry trifle for lunch (as Shakedown will confirm) or making the bed in the morning - harmless things if they are broken but rules I follow nonetheless. I guess 'men don't wear heels' is one of my rules. Perhaps a large proportion of society have this same rule?

If you are too open-minded your brains will fall out.

These days I only wear heels on meets or indoors because Ruth has her fears that I am going to come to some harm. Moreover, as a trucker I cannot (and would not) wear them to work.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

What reasons have you heard for why these are evil shoes?

My ex-wife had a very good reason:

she was afflicted with polio at birth (one leg was 3/4" longer than the other), and that led to several joint ailments as the years passed.....

:)

The ONLY 2 reasons my G/F won't wear heels ANYWHERE (race-track, shopping mall, day-long ride in the hot-rod, athletic event, car show, train-spotting, etc.) is:

#1: not allowed to wear heels at her work;

#2: and if we have snow and ice on the ground / streets / sidewalks (and even THEN she may wear them, too!

:o

Maybe we'll be classified as "stick-in-the-mud-Yanks", but we don't know of any men who wear heels.....

We hold these truths to be self-evident:

REAL Corvettes have sharply-peaked fenders and hidden head-lights;

REAL railroads had a 4-track mainline and ran on-the-advertised;

and REAL women wear high heels and short skirts as often as they can!!!!!

Before I begin, please bear in mind these are not my own reasons - merely others':

1. They hurt one's feet, ankles, calves, knees, legs, hips, back, etc.

2. Don't want to associate with the image it conveys.

3. Tired of getting the heel stuck in every crack.

4. Increases undesirable from undesirable males, while reducing desirable attention from desirable males.

5. Increases undesirable attention from others, period.

6. Good heels are too expensive!

7. Can never find what I like in my size.

8. Matching clothes are too expensive!

9. Flats are simply more comfortable.

10. My husband prefers me wearing Uggs.

Hey - it COULD happen, although the liklihood would be about 1 in 3.5 Billion...

Since a few people have responded I'm just going to pick one and reply to everything.

It seems like the overriding reason for not wearing heels is that it takes too much energy/thought/whatever, or perhaps involves a change in appearance they're not willing to accept or make. That's interesting because it seems like the latter reason (change) is one that we (men) use to not wear heels in public. It's easier to fit in and not shake the boat.

It's amazing how clothes can make one comfortable or uncomfortable. It's also comforting to know that many women have the same level of discomfort as us guys when it comes to heels.

Thanks to all that have replied. It's been enlightening.

My wife, that used to wear 4" heels when we were younger claims heels that high just aren't comfortable. So, she leaves the very high heels to me and sticks to 2½" and 3" ultra feminine heels. :)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

this one i heard:

the heels will hurt my back and i wont be able to have kids!

i heard that one too many times

RPM

Man, I thought I'd heard some lame excuses.....

:)

Thinking I'd be a poor parent/role-model, I never wanted (nor HAD) children:

that excuse woulda been a reason TO wear heels!!!!!

We hold these truths to be self-evident:

REAL Corvettes have sharply-peaked fenders and hidden head-lights;

REAL railroads had a 4-track mainline and ran on-the-advertised;

and REAL women wear high heels and short skirts as often as they can!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Well , I just wanted to add that truefully I take my heels off certain times, I wear them almost 90 to 95% of the time but DO change out of them for good reasons I think. One of the fears I have is my kids getting picked on or something because of me, I wear my high heeled shoes to school meetings and such and everywhere else when I am with my kids, but one of my sons plays damn good baseball and they just don't go with baseball , so I wear sandles or something else to his games. Also I can tell you that trying to play catch in 4" heels dosn't work well at all. So honestly there are times you just need to kick them off and be cool with it for the situation. Sports and heels just don't mix!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Vicky that most of my hobbies and home type things that keep me busy are not "heel-friendly". ie: Working in the garage on the project car, working in the yard digging in the garden, building the fence or the retaining wall... Though I did drive a tractor all afternoon in my 4" block heeled boots, had to be carefull with the hydrostatic drive for reverse, as the heel had to catch the small pedal... But it was fun! tightlevisandhhboots

I agree with Vicky that most of my hobbies and home type things that keep me busy are not "heel-friendly". ie: Working in the garage on the project car, working in the yard digging in the garden, building the fence or the retaining wall... Though I did drive a tractor all afternoon in my 4" block heeled boots, had to be carefull with the hydrostatic drive for reverse, as the heel had to catch the small pedal... But it was fun!

tightlevisandhhboots

Working in the garage or around heavy equipment is certainly a good reason for sensible shoes. What car are you working on?

Since a few people have responded I'm just going to pick one and reply to everything.

It seems like the overriding reason for not wearing heels is that it takes too much energy/thought/whatever, or perhaps involves a change in appearance they're not willing to accept or make. That's interesting because it seems like the latter reason (change) is one that we (men) use to not wear heels in public. It's easier to fit in and not shake the boat.

It's amazing how clothes can make one comfortable or uncomfortable. It's also comforting to know that many women have the same level of discomfort as us guys when it comes to heels.

Thanks to all that have replied. It's been enlightening.

You make some excellent points!

You're right in saying that, in general, guys are more concerned with expediency than fashion. Just consider how much less time the average male takes to get ready for work, and it's not because they don't "have" to, but rather, because most women feel they do. Time and again, anthropology has revealed throughout the world and history that women are much more involved with adornment than men.

What I find surprising is how much more willing women are to put up with uncomfortable attire than are men! Everything from heels to itchy cloths, to drafts, to tight fits... It's enough to drive one insane!

I'm all about comfort. There's more than enough very fashionable, yet comfortable options for personal attire that I needed EVER put up with anything less.

An interesting theory indeed. When I began wearing heels in public, I realized right away that I would need to change my appearance, if but for no other reason that I demanded that my clothes be as nice as my shoes.

I went from drab polo shirts and Dockers to dressier shirts and slacks, made sure everything was color coordinated with not just my shoes, but my hosiery as pantyhose became part of my daily wardrobe. Heck, I'd even go out of my way to make sure my underwear matched whatever outfit I wore on a given day.

Every morning, I spend a good fifteen minutes putting together my outfit for the day, making sure everything matched and that I'd look sharp. So I was more than willing to spend as much time and energy as needed to present a dressy image. And it feels good to look good. And that's all because of the shoes!

It's easy to come up with reasons NOT to wear heels, but, in my opinion, that's a defeastest mindset, so I don't bother with that!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

It's easy to come up with reasons NOT to wear heels, but, in my opinion, that's a defeastest mindset, so I don't bother with that!

You're right, of course. I think it depends on the mindset though. Most, if not all, of us here would find it much easier to wear them than to not wear them, however there are plenty of people out there where that is not true. I'm married to one of them.

I was mostly wondering what excuses people have heard for not wearing nice heels. They don't have to be too high (>3", < 5"), but something tasteful would be nice. I've had the priviledge of seeing many more people wearing nice footwear. In fact, just tonight I took the subway downtown and sat opposite a very attractive young lady with calf length black leather boots, stilleto heel about 4" and black stockings, long (ankle length) black leather coat too. It's interesting that different cities have a different attitude to looking good. Ottawa is a bunch of frumps. Very few women take the time to look presentable, let alone good.

It was a very nice evening. I had my camera with me but haven't the courage to photograph people (certainly not without their permission). Another time, during the day, I'm sure it'll be easier.

JeffB:-)

That's a great attitude that you have developed about co-ordinating your outfits and I wholeheartedly agree with your design and purposes.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Well, anything worth doing is worth doing right. If it wasn't for the shoes, I'd still be wearing drab and dull clothes. Now I love going to work looking sharp, and it's lots of fun too! Thanks to my love for heels, I've become a clothes horse!

:rofl:

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!