A topic for conversation that does not have to be on topic.

The name for this topic sounds strange right? I purposely named it as such! This is something that I should have done a long time ago. In this topic, we can just talk about anything and not have to worry about going off the topic. If we start going off the topic in another topic of the General Discussion forum, we can just continue the discussion in here. It is okay if this topic never gets used because we can just “put it in the closet” until we need it for a rainy day.

Yea, you are exactly right.

I thought about that when I started this topic. However, with what goes on in this forum, you don't know what will happen.

People can post whatever is on their mind in here. If you wanted to, you could think of this topic as the "Open Telephone Line" segment that they do on some of these Talk Radio shows. In these segments, people can call the host of the show and talk about any issue that is on their mind. The topic of the show changes quite frequently during these segments.

If this topic never gets used then so be it. At least we can say that there is a topic like this here in the General Discussion forum. Or, possibly, we could say that there was a topic like this here in the General Discussion forum.

This is quite dangerous as a topic, you know... :) So let's discuss customer service. I can appreciate good customer service. I've been a part of the giving end of that for years. Now, I won't get into sushi as a discussion topic, but I would like to say, for my favorite restaurant the customer service is spot on. Why? Well, the people who run the place are very friendly. They are warm and inviting. Peter, the Samurai chef of a host, oversees everything, making sure the sushi chefs are doing a good job, and talking with customers. He isn't afraid to give out a free round of sake when needed. He gives out boxes of Pocky, a Japanese cookie stick treat. And he remembers my sister and me, even more so after we had him teaching us Sushi making class with his staff one Saturday afternoon where he doled out the hot sake as if it were water. MmMMMm Tonight, Peter even ordered us up a special sushi roll with a brief word to the chefs at the sushi bar where we were sitting. We didn't know what he was doing, and suddenly, this very fancy and expensive sushi roll was given to us. No thought to anything except recognizing his customers for their loyalty. The staff are friendly, they are attentive, and they too remember us. Even a server who has worked there on and off since we started visiting this restaurant four years ago remembers us and says hi even if she is not our server or even working that night. Even the partner, David, who hasn't been around much in the last while, was back at this restaurant tonight. When we first started frequenting this restaurant shortly after it opened he was always very good about making us feel welcome. And tonight, he remembered us after not seeing us for a long time, not having been there when we were there. He came over, he remembered the company I used to work for, he asked us how we were doing. Of course, we were stuffed when we left. Anmd as always, we felt that we were greatly appreciated for being there. But then, people who are there for the first time, or just another in a great many times, are all treated warmly and with respect. They are happy to have customers, and I can see why they get quite busy. Why the heck can't more companies and people be like that? Why are people so damn cranky? Why do they not see that making people feel welcome and wanted makes things so much better? I have been given rotten customer service by banks, stores, restaurants, utility companies, you name it. Something so simple as a smile and asking if everything is okay can't be that difficult! So does anyone else out there have good and bad stories to share? Me, I am going to pass out now. :o

I read an interesting book called "Referral Of A lifetime" about businesses that have built large customer bases solely by word of mouth.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

This is quite dangerous as a topic, you know... :)

Yes, I know.......... :o

Why the heck can't more companies and people be like that? Why are people so damn cranky? Why do they not see that making people feel welcome and wanted makes things so much better? I have been given rotten customer service by banks, stores, restaurants, utility companies, you name it.

Something so simple as a smile and asking if everything is okay can't be that difficult!

Oh boy! Don't get me started on customer service! Poor customer service is a big problem here in the U.S.!

Giving good customer service is something that is so easy to do yet, in today's marketplace, it has been given less attention.

It seems like businesses here in America only care about money and profits now and days. They haven't learned that businesses that are in business just to make money do not have a very long business life span! They have forgotten that good customer service is everything in business! It is more important than the profits and dollars!

Talk about overlooking the small things in life!

I am a service engineer fixing laboratory equipment. I regularly get calls from my customers asking me what brand of equipment they should buy. I won’t tell them out right buy this or that but I do let them know what the good and bad features are of the various brand names with the product range they are looking to purchase. This gives enhances my image with them as a service tech. And I know from some of the suppliers when they phone to tell me thanks for the sale that they got but didn’t have to go out and sell it. Or from some sales reps that try to get their customers buy their products and are told don’t bother we are going with Jeff’s recommendation. I always phone to let my customers know if I am going to be late even if only 10 minutes or so. And I always phone to ask a few days after a repair to see how it is going. My income could depend on these things, but why not do it anyway; it’s just a matter of being courteous. Jeff

This is quite dangerous as a topic, you know... :)

So let's discuss customer service.

I've been to a few places where the service has been excellent. Also to a few where it hasn't been so good. The strangest one was a company where I was a loyal customer, even brought other customers there and contemplated investing in the company (small company). After purchasing a lot of stuff over a few years, all of a sudden they stopped being responsive to anyone, including a few of us that regularly bought there. The attitude was that they were doing us a favour by letting us shop there. Granted there was a change in some staff but the owners were still there.

Well, I no longer shop there (at all). Whenever I need something I order it by email from a place in Southern Ontario, some 7 or 8 hours drive away. It arrives by mail in a couple days (vs a couple months from the other place).

I don't need to be treated like a king, but an genuine "thank you" or a sincere "hi" goes a long way. An interest in helping when I'm lost is also appreciated.

We have a hobby shop in town and when I crashed my r/c car into a curb at 70kph or so (hit sand in the corner) I needed parts to rebuild it. They said to look on the web for the part numbers and they would order them in. Well, I looked on the web and ordered online from someone else. Hey, I was already there and just had to type in my credit card number.

And then there's Northbound Leather. Can't say enough good things about them.

The name for this topic sounds strange right? I purposely named it as such!

This is something that I should have done a long time ago.

In this topic, we can just talk about anything and not have to worry about going off the topic.

Ok, so anyone ride a motorcycle? Anyone race?

The name for this topic sounds strange right? I purposely named it as such!

This is something that I should have done a long time ago.

In this topic, we can just talk about anything and not have to worry about going off the topic.

/quote]

And while we're at it.... where are good places to live and work in Europe? I've been contemplating moving to Scotland for a few years but the cost of living is higher than here. Here the companies keep you so busy you don't have time for a life.

Where's it like elsewhere? What about amount of work expected vs pay vs cost of living vs tolerance vs good government vs education available vs ....?

I have bought a couple of our girls here shoes from Sharon at Banana Shoes. Her customer service is fantastic. Nothing seems too much trouble for her. I have even phoned her to ask a question that I needed an answer to straight away and she found out with in minutes, offering to call back so I didnt have to wait on the line. This would have a been a call from the UK to AU. Even my emails are answered in a day some times less because of the time difference. Great work Sharon Jeff

I've been around the customer service arena for a loooonnngggg time, and I'll say this. Treat people as you would like to be treated....plain and simple. Look like you're happy to see the next person, even though they're #500 you've seen in the last couple of hours. Spend a little time on "polishing the apple" and watch the magic happen. I've been to too many places where the people work there look at you like you're the biggest PITA for even stepping in their doors - those I try to stay away from if at all possible. OH...speaking of people behind the counter being a pain, I saw something one winter I'll never forget. I was working for one of those big box stores bringing carts in from outside, slogging in the snow and slush (yes, it was Christmas season), and I actually saw two ladies in the parking lot getting in a fist-fight over a......shopping cart! :) It's a far different world than I originally grew up in.....is there any hope left? I can only hope so :o

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I would say that SW England would be a good place to live. Plenty of work, moderately low rents/house prices, decent educational system, lowish crime rate outside the cities... ...If I wasn't contemplating a move to Cyprus, I'd go there.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

There's a Cyprus in SE London. It's in the Docklands. Oh wait... "Plenty of work, moderately low rents/house prices, decent educational system, lowish crime rate...".

Oh, clearly you mean the other Cyprus.

Can't judge places to live in Europe as I've always lived in South England. I'm turning out ok though... I think...

If you are too open-minded your brains will fall out.

Cyprus is a great Island. Such a shame it was war torn and devided. Do you know there are whole streets of historic buildings in Nicosia which are crumbling to ruins with neglect because of the buffer zone? As for sushi. Mmmm, I could just imagine myself in that restaurant now...

I have a question for all you people who get snow bound at this time of the year. Being unacustomed to snow let alone being snow bound how does it work? You come home from work, have dinner, do this or that then off to bed about 10 or 11. During the night it snows quite heavily. Do you have so many snow plows to work all night that the streets are clear next morning when peak hour traffic is about or do you get up earlier so you can leave earlier to get to work on time, say 8:30 or is your employer so generous that it doesnt matter if you are late, he lets you off or lets you work late to make up the time. Jeff

Another question for you guys from US From US made movies I have this idea of how your police system is composed. It appears you have A town sheriff department A county sherrif Department A town police department A state police department A state road patrol department An FBI. The FBI is for federal crimes such as I think murder and kidnapping. We here have a state police for each state where the laws are pretty much universal but administered by each state and a Federal police who do the drugs, guns etc working in conjunction with Customs and Immigration for illegal importation of food stuffs, animal and vegetable material, wood etc. Murder and kidnapping are handled by the states. Jeff

In our community we have several overlapping layers of police. First is the community (town) police department. Its jurisdiction lies within the boundaries of the city limits. Next is the County Sheriff Department. Jurisdiction is anywhere within the county boundaries. Then there is the South Carolina Highway Department. It covers the entire state. While mainly traffic, they do have a secondary function of conducting investigations of all types -- called SLED. The prosecuting jurisdiction usually depends on the type of crime (traffic, murder, bank robbery, etc) and where committed. Bank Robery, kidnapping, or any other crimes falling under the Federal Code are prosecuted in the Federal Government court system. All others are prosecuted by the various jurisdictions were they were committed -- keeping in mind that some crimes are overlapping - murders, for instance are tried in the state curcit court system. Our court system was set up during coloniel times when travel was difficult and time consuming. It's way too cumbersome and really needs to be streamlined on a more regional basis. But politics being what it is, it's gonna be a while before that's accomplished.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I have a question for all you people who get snow bound at this time of the year.

Being unacustomed to snow let alone being snow bound how does it work?

You come home from work, have dinner, do this or that then off to bed about 10 or 11.

During the night it snows quite heavily.

Do you have so many snow plows to work all night that the streets are clear next morning when peak hour traffic is about

or

do you get up earlier so you can leave earlier to get to work on time, say 8:30

or

is your employer so generous that it doesnt matter if you are late, he lets you off or lets you work late to make up the time.

Jeff

How does it work? Well, snow comes from the sky when it's cold out ,...... :)

You come home in the dark (just like when you went to work), have dinner, and do whatever you normally do in the evenings. Ok, so going for a swim isn't a good idea, but indoor hobbies work, or you could go shopping, take a drive on the backroads (to slide around the corners :-) ), go skiiing/skating.... whatever. It's not summer but there's no reason to stay inside until spring.

As for work, I get to work the moment I arrive (flex time). If it snows I have a better trip in (usually). I take the back roads so I can slide. I don't think there could be enough snow for employers to let people off early - this is Canada afterall. You'd better be used to snow as it's here for at least 4 months (more if you're out west). Laurie - what month hasn't it snowed in Calgary?

I'm of the opinion that if you can't drive the roads, get off them - you aren't safe. If you aren't comfortable or competant driving, don't - you aren't safe. Just don't bottleneck the traffic flow. Road rage isn't helpful.

Things you can do to make your life easier:

- take a winter driving course (loads of fun sliding the car around and teaches you all about traction)

- make sure you have FOUR snow tires of decent quality (preferably on steel rims so you don't ruin your alloys)

- run an all-wheel-drive or 4x4

- maintain your car so it won't breakdown in cold weather

- move to within easy public transportation so you don't have to drive

Oh, and if it has just been snowing, you get to shovel it off the drive. That'll take up some time in the evening :-) The warm slushy snow is the worst. It's very, very heavy.

Okay, Calgary is a good place to be from if you want to know about snow. Of course, the fact that it can snow in July and be tropical on Christmas day is strange enough, but snow, we know. The city has sanding crews that get out and about once snow starts, they lay down various things from sand to gravel to salt, which is not used so much here, anyway. To help provide traction on the roads. Generally, snow compacts and the friction of driving scatters it and reduces it to the pavement and melts it. Managing out of the drive, well, you may need to shovel. Here, we have a law that requires people to shovel their own walk ways, and thus the end of the drive, within 24 hours of a snowfall. Townhouse living makes this chore much easier to handle. Late for work is not an excuse here. People are expected to leave earlier. Someone in my position cannot get away with it, especially if on the supervisor shift. Of course, people forget how to drive, the roads are bad, there are accidents... I am lucky to live close to work and have a good way to get there off of major routes. But there are times when for some, a half hour drive can turn into 3 hours during the rush hour when the weather is bad. Me, a ten minute drive can turn into 20 when snow has been lurking about. But it is pretty, looks festive, fun to throw, great for making snowmen, and while I do not ski or board, it is quite a big industry for the winter months. Skiing continues until the end of May for some of the larger Ski hill resorts. Factor in the cold, the ice, the windchill... the reduced visibility... We all joke about moving, but none of us ever will. The summer is just too nice. Snowmen are from Ikea - they come unassembled and take a lot of work to put together. :)

Neither of you mentioned snow ploughs which was part of my question, so I assume they are not used, a thing of the past. And that is some thing I didnt know Thanks to both of you and you too Bubba for yoyr reply Jeff

Plows are slow and expensive to maintain as far as I know. We have them here, but they are not used much. They get more use on the highways, but generally, they are trucks with plows on the front. The fancy plows, the eaarth grader style, well, I haven't seen them used in a few years for most snow related issues.

The following article was an interesting read:

Online Research Worries Many Educators

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=562&ncid=562&e=1&u=/ap/20041208/ap_on_hi_te/always_online_reliable_sources

Finally, people are starting to wake up and smell the coffee!

I am so happy that people are starting to pay more attention to this growing problem.

More and more people now and days are having a hard time recognizing true fact from fiction. They don’t want to take the time to do proper research. Instead, they want to take the easy way out and use the internet as their sole source of reference information. The problem with this is that most internet sources are not reliable.

Hence, a brief excerpt from the article:

“Another potential minefield is the growing phenomenon of collaborative information assembly. The credentials of the people writing grass-roots Web journals and a committee-written encyclopedia called Wikipedia are often unclear. Nevertheless, some Internet users believe that such resources can collectively portray events more accurately than any single gatekeeper.”

Plows are slow and expensive to maintain as far as I know. We have them here, but they are not used much. They get more use on the highways, but generally, they are trucks with plows on the front. The fancy plows, the eaarth grader style, well, I haven't seen them used in a few years for most snow related issues.

You're lucky. We have a few here that get used, but this is Ottawa and they like to waste money (surprise, surprise). The big grader plows are annoying (slow and get in the way).

There are a lot of dump trucks with plows on the front, yes. They salt/sand after plowing, but then when the dust (snow) settles they'll bring out the front-end loaders and more dump trucks to cart away some of the snow (mainly on the back streets). I imagine it would be about the same in Calgary as I think you might even get more snow than us. You certainly get colder weather -- well, when the Chinook isn't giving you shorts weather :-)

Hmmm! Here if it snows, which it doesn't very often....once every 10 years or so -- we just wait a couple of hours and it's gone. So, no snow plows. Our winters (cold weather) only last about 5 or 6 weeks. (Mid Jan to March 1st. But, if you don't like summer this isn't the place for you.)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.