We're Killing Ourselves!

Folks - we're poisening ourselves. To death. I'm no doctor or biologist, but I've got a mind. I can read. I can learn, understand, and take the appropriate action.

In fact, I used to scoff at this stuff - until I blew out my ankle in 1996 and it didn't heal right. In fact, all my joints were bothering me back then, and I just thought I was getting old, despite plenty of good, safe exercise. My wife was showing some strange symptoms, too.

So, I started doing research.

Here are a few sites which talk about some of the things I discovered. Only is out in left field, while the rest range from the middle to hard right-liners. Most are from either university or government studies, with one from containing opinions from medical doctors thrown in for good measure.

Yet all pretty much say the same thing: :roll:

Read on:

http://www.protectingourhealth.org/corethemes/corethemes.htm

http://www.doh.gov.ph/hsra/survey/Health_envi.pdf

http://coeh.berkeley.edu/International_Activities/international_activities.htm

http://www.borstvoeding.com/abon/bf_toxins.html

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/canusa/papers/canada/english/environ.htm

http://www.maccs.mq.edu.au/~stacey/toxic.htm

Now - before you go live au natural and begin living in a mud hut, however, (great source of radon, by the way), there are some common things you can do which, over time, which won't cost you all that much (about $1,000 up front, and about $300 a year), yet will significantly increase your overall health - with hardly any effort!

1. Buy organic fruits, vegetables, and meats. Readily available in most major cities. Also very cheap if you participate in a food co-op.

2. Switch from processed / pre-packaged foods to natural foods (raw fruits and vegetables and fresh meats). Cooking and clean-up rarely add more than 5 minutes if you're handy with a cast-iron skillet or wok. As a side benefit, you'll become quite handy with a chopping knife!

3. By a reverse osmosis filter (about $200 from your local hardware store) and install it in your home. Bottled water is filtered, yes, but how much? And what's filtered? Independant tests say the range is from turbulent matter (but nothing else) to darn near everything). Cartridges cost about $30 a year. They say distilled water is the best, but most comes readily contaminated in the soft-plastic bottles from the store.

4. Stick to natural clothes (cotton, silk). Rayon, nylon, and polyester are among the least polluting fabrics, but cotton or silk are non-polluting altogether. Rubber insole in your shoe? Wear shoes with leather insoles! Suede is the best.

5. Buy a whole-house air filter that uses activated charcoal. Alternatively, if you have central heating/air, just buy the filter - again, at your local hardware store.

6. Carpets... Perhaps one of the worst sources of environmental toxins, primarily due to the padding. If you're about to install carpet, strongly consider going with the felt or wool padding. If you must use a synthetic, do your research and go with the one that poses the least risk to your health.

7. Vinyl seats in your car? Sheepskin seat covers! Not sheep, er, cheap, but they're cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter.... At least it eliminates the skin to vinyl contact. And wrap your vinyl steering wheel with a leather wrap. Same insulating benefits.

8. Wines = pesticides. Either give 'em up or go organic (and less pricey than your average bottle of wine, too - though I don't think they taste quite as well, but they do taste more like the wines my relatives still make on their vineyard overseas).

9. Soft drinks = deadly. Sugar, mainly (continual weight gain, adult onset diabetes, and a host of other related problems). But there's a lot of artificial ingredients in there, too. Health drinks, fruit punches, etc., aren't much better. Try drinking water for 1 month - and nothing else. You'll be surprised at how good a cool glass of water tastes by the end of the month!

10. Furniture polish, household aerosols, pesticides, etc. Chuck them all into the garbage. Switch to naturals like lemon oil, carnuba wax, and natural fragrances (boil cloves in a small pot of water - simmer). For pests, use BugRepel or the organic bug repellants/killers containing clove and mint oils. If you must save your rose bushes from aphids, buy some ladybugs at your local nursery.

Bottom line - anywhere you see a processed food product, a manmade material, something that came into contact with pesticides - find an alternative. Many are available!

Good luck, and may God bless you all.

Gene, The very first sentence in these Forum's Index contains the instruction "stay reasonably on topic". At the best of times your enthusiasm often blows you somewhat off topic in your long-winded postings, but this time, in my opinion as a fellow member, you are WAY OFF TOPIC. This is the High Heel Meeting Place, not a healthy eating forum! I know you mean well, and your heart is is the right place, and also that you'll probably think I'm nit-picking or unkind when I complain about your diet-topic posting. To try to be friendly about this, your sentiment is extremely laudible, but just pause and think for a moment that if every member were to be as undisciplined as you, and we all started posting here on "For Everybody" about our own favourite hobbyhorses (global warming, whale hunting, vegetarianism, anti-smoking, anti-abortion etc. etc. etc. etc.), the High Heel Forums would immediately become a total shambles and lose its focus and appeal completely! On these Forums, even the non-heel Forum is entitled "Non-Heel Fashion Topics" so it seems to me that everything on MegaForums should be about heels or at least about fashion. As a member giving a personal view, can I gently suggest a bit less impetuosity, and more adherence to the core subject matter of this High Heel Meeting Place? Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

But wait - this isn't the For Men section it isn't the For Women section, and it's not the For TV, CD, or other section... We have a weight management section here... somewhere... ok, where did it go... I give up - it's in the General Non Shoe Fashion Discussion thread. Ok, Scotty - beam me up! But keep this topic going in the GNSFD thread, please....

Chris, You've got me interested - I can't find an "Off Topic" section in the Index of these forums. Where is it Chris? As I've already pointed out, even the "Non-Heel Fashion Topics" Forum is still supposed to deal with fashion topics, so unless I'm missing something, it appears that Gene's interesting and valuable posting belongs elsewhere than on this High Heel Meeting Place - maybe it should be on an equivalent forum for staying healthy - there must be such Forums on the Net, surely. Firefox will know, if he sees this! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Oh, come on, Heelfan!

If you press, there's no logical choice but to nix Scotty's weight loss program - a VERY salient endeavor for the successful wearing of high heels.

As for my post - if I'd tried to wear heels in 1996, I wouldn't be able to.

Since I changed my lifestyle, however, joints, bones, muscles, etc., are all much healthier - and I can wear heels!

The difference between wearing heels, and not wearing heels, doesn't get any more salient than that, folks!

But if the thread is inappropriate, here, then by all means move it to the same thread where Scotty and others are doing their weight loss programs.

And if that's inappropriate, then by all means - create a new forum entitled "Heel-Wearing Health Care."

After all, the sick, dead, and dying don't wear heels!

Chris,

You've got me interested - I can't find an "Off Topic" section in the Index of these forums. Where is it Chris?

As I've already pointed out, even the "Non-Heel Fashion Topics" Forum is still supposed to deal with fashion topics, so unless I'm missing something, it appears that Gene's interesting and valuable posting belongs elsewhere than on this High Heel Meeting Place - maybe it should be on an equivalent forum for staying healthy - there must be such Forums on the Net, surely.

Firefox will know, if he sees this!

Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Apparently you missed this bit just below the "General Non-Shoe Fashion Discussion" title:

Just to prove heels is not all we think about, discuss other items of interest in here. World news, TV shows, the weather or anything else you feel like talking about.

Chris :roll:

Oh yes! Thanks Chris! How could I have missed that! I'm an idiot! However, in my own defence, that quotation does rather contradict the title "Non-Heel FASHION Forum". Anyway, there we are Genebujold - you can post your "Killing ourselves" stuff on that forum! Excellent! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Ahhhhh! HF. Flunked your moderator's exam again! Too bad you'll have to wait another year before you can take it again. :roll:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Having heard from quite a few experts on health and saftey, from what I can tell if you follow all advice you will never die. heh Sorry, just a risk junky thats been attempting to live like a normal person for a while. Not really liking it.. but trying to force myself to belive that it's for the best. No motorcycle stunts for well over a year now. No inline skating stunts for more years then that. I've had people close to me die off for reasons other then their carpet padding. I can see how un-natural chemicals can affect us negativly.. and I have days I do not give a shit. (btw.. I probably offended most.. sorry.. I've had a really shit day) Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

Plants produce their own witches brew of toxins to make themselves unpalatable so even organic produce has things not good for us. Leather has tannins that are toxic. A good attitude is a powerful force to god health in addtion to smart living. From what I read in the guys sections on this forum members who go out heeling hit a high that has got to be helthful. So there is a link.

classic style high heel boots

Placebo effect.. if you feel you are living healty, you will feel healty.. if you think you are living like crap, you may feel like crap. If it makes you feel better and you are not adversly affecting others, do it. Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")