Trusting My Judgement

JeffB

Absolutely TRUE story: The other day, one of my co-workers asked if I would go with her to a nearby department store to help her pick out some nice shoes for a social function she's attending with her husband and relatives this weekend. I was startled at first, and when I asked why, she said, and I quote: "You have better taste in women's shoes than most of the women here, so I can trust your judgement." Pretty cool, huh? Quite an honor to say the least! We spent a good twenty minutes in the shoe department of the store (seventh heaven for me!) and, after some trial and error, I suggested a sleek pair of black Nine West slingbacks to go with the dress she planned to wear. She was quite pleased with the choice, then, with a chuckle, she said it's a pity Nine West only goes up to eleven, or she'd buy ME a pair! So she treated me to lunch as a reward. All in all, it was a fun outing that we both enjoyed! :roll:

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

That was a real vote of confidence for you JeffB. What shoes were you wearing and did anyone take notice of your heels while you were shopping?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

JeffB, it sounds like you're getting to be their fashion consultant around that place when it comes to picking heels with clothes. Sounds like you had a real fabulous time. I am also curious if you wore heels when you went shopping that day and if there were any comments. It's a turning point in fashion when women say a guy has better taste in heels than the women do! :roll:

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Greetings! To answer the question that had been posed, yes, I did wear heels during that little shopping expedition, namely my black Etienne Aigner "Taylor" pumps, as shown below:

Posted Image

Of course, I got my fair share of stares and double takes, especially after I was in the store's shoe department, but it was no big deal for me as I was long used to that sort of thing. In fact, it would've felt odd if I HADN'T been stared at! But I wear what I want and don't worry what the rest of the world thinks. Wearing heels is as natural to me as breathing.

On the subject of being a fashion consultant, my fellow co-workers were suitably impressed with the shoes I picked out for that lady's gathering. Everyone knows I have good taste in shoes, so they weren't surprised. All in all, a good day. Yeah, I guess I am lucky!

P.S. Below are the slings I picked out for my co-worker:

Posted Image

Pretty sharp, eh? I tell you, it was love at first sight! If Nine West only went up to 13 wide, I would've bought a pair on the spot! :roll:

Kudos on the styles you wore and picked out for your friend. That store would be in real trouble if they stocked your size on a lot of styles....or you'd become their favorite customer! :roll:

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

HA! Are you kidding, SQ? I'd be the one in trouble 'cause I'd be spending all my money on shoes! :roll: I've always loved Nine West's styles, especially their pumps and slings, that's why I steered my co-worker to their shoes in that store. Oh, it also be noted that said store carried the Aigner pumps I wore, when one of the salespeople recognized the style and asked what size they were, she was shocked when I told her they were 13 double wide. She had no idea Aigner shoes went up that high since she was used to nothing over 11 from her years in the store. Predictably, the salesperson then asked why I was wearing women's shoes, and I gave her my stock answer; "Because I like to." That seemed to satisfy her curiosity. An interesting experience. :)

• 3 weeks later...

My guess is that a lot of the guys on this forum are more qualified to select stylish women's shoes than many women. When a person of either sex, focuses attention on a given subject, in this case high heels, many are bound to develop a sixth sense when it comes to said subject. Congratulations for gaining the notoriety/reputation for a good sense for fashion and helping a friend in the process. I didn't know Aigner shoes went over 10! have always admired their style and quality but figured my size 12 M/W ruled me out.

classic style high heel boots

My guess is that a lot of the guys on this forum are more qualified to select stylish women's shoes than many women...

True statement!

Hi - I'm Gene's wife, and when it comes to fashion, I long ago agreed to let him pick. I'm sensible in many areas where he's not (don't ask) but I get nothing but complements when I let him pick my clothes.

Back to you, honey!

Well! I'll let what others have said, stand. I do take a slight exception to the "I'm sensible in many areas where he's not" part - I'll have to ask her later, although I've a feeling it has to do with her social sense - I always follow her lead when we're with others, regardless of the circumstances. She just reads people better than I do.

Gene's wife, again - bingo! That's one reason I married him - he's smarter than the average bear!

Now - if I could just get her to quit looking over my shoulder... It's been interesting, but I think there's a test and a license before they allow a husband and wife team to post dual messages...

I think there's a test and a license before they allow a husband and wife team to post dual messages...

You're right Gene. Its called the togetherness test and I think you both passed with ease.

Jeff

Well, finding Aigner shoes in sizes above 10 or 11 is difficult, and I think the "Taylor" style is the exception to the rule. I also think it's been phased out as well since I bought mine nearly three years ago. As for a sense of fashion, it's not something that can be acquired overnight. I did a great deal of studying to learn what styles and colors of shoes work best with whatever clothes and hosiery I happen to be wearing. I mean, if I was going to wear women's shoes in public, then I had to make sure I wouldn't embarrass myself by being seen in something that didn't look right. :roll:

I'll take the huge heart and leave you with the big old sap.

Is that ok with you :roll:

Gee, kids, what's next? The group hug?

It's nice to know I'm among family - thank you!

I hope and pray everyone else here feels the same, that they're not "on the edge," that there are many others who share their thoughts, feelings, likes, dislikes, interests, tastes, etc.

I'd love to say that so long as we're all human that everyone will be accepted for who they are. Unfortunately, we humans have done a poor job of demonstrating this. Hopefully, our behavior/responses in the future will prove significantly different than they have in the past.

I still strongly believe in some absolutes/maxims that hold true for human society as a whole (thou shalt not murder being one of them), but I nevertheless pray that serious minds take a serious look at many of the other, more controversial issues. Many of you might be surprised to learn that I fall more to the conservative right in my political views. Personally, I widely disregard lables, as I've found that every match is matched by a mismatch, someone who believes some of one label, but opposes the rest.

People should never be put into boxes. We are a continuum, each believing as they may throughout a wide range in each of many categories. It is the evil side of science (which most certainly has a good side) that atempts to pigeonhole people into specific categories, thus voiding them of their right to free, and complete expression.

True, many human acts are evil. Personally, I believe any act committed against another in violation of their free and uncoerced will is evil. I believe this includes the seduction of those not old enough to think outside of their budding hormone boxes.

I also believe that we should respect the desires of any adult capable of thinking rationally for themselves, whether we believe their choices are inherently evil, or not. I admit I am prejudiced by my personal religious convictions, yet I respect the fact that some others do not share my beliefs, and may very well believe in something I find objectionable.

Bottom line is that when a human being has reached the point where the majority of their decisions are more or less rational, and I believe that age pretty much occurs somewhere around 18 years of age, depending strongly upon one's upbringing, then they're an adult, and should be accorded all rights and privaleges enjoyed by the rest of modern, civilized society, including the right to freely participate in society, as well as the right to engage in behavious which, while much of society may disapprove, they are neverless personal and bear no direct burdon upon society at large.

Those behaviors which do burden society, however, I believe society should have some say as to how to mitigate the burden.

There - I've probably ticked off a lot of you, totally alienating the rest with what I believe is the only viable solution to the myriad of conflicts plaguing us today between religion, freedoms, and personally held beliefs.

Fire away!

genebujold: Might I add that in addition to being a law abiding citizen of earth/society which includes not doing all the bad things you outline, that as long as you are a productive/contributing member to society one should have no problem with how another dresses, their religion, politics, etc. Always exceptions to any belief as will be this one, am sure.

classic style high heel boots

genebujold:

Might I add that in addition to being a law abiding citizen of earth/society which includes not doing all the bad things you outline, that as long as you are a productive/contributing member to society one should have no problem with how another dresses, their religion, politics, etc.

Always exceptions to any belief as will be this one, am sure.

That would certainly be the ideal, yes, but as you know, prejudice abounds, partly due to the volumes written around ancient but still strongly revered religious literature, much of which is often misconstrued, but nevertheless rules (rather than reason) the hearts and minds of those with which we have to contend.

One day we'll have total clothing rights just as we're now approaching a day when race means little. We're not yet there with race, and we're nowhere close with respect to clothing.