The Mechanics of Dangling

I'm not into dangling, but I figure the title would attract more attention than something more mundane. And it's not totally clickbait--this is a serious question I have for our members. How tight do you have to wear your slip-on shoes to be able to actually function in them? The answer for me personally is, pretty tight. This goes especially for pumps, but also for mules. I have very few shoes that I can easily slip in and out of, hands-free, and those that I can, usually get relegated to house shoes for that very reason. I say "relegated" because there's a converse consequence to and easy on-and-off. Those shoes typically do not make good walking shoes, because I step right out of them mid-flight. And that's just the mules.

When it comes to pumps, I know there are some of you who wear them pretty much exclusively. @Jkrenzer And some of you can't wear them at all. @Cali I was kind of in the Cali camp before, as it was difficult for me to walk in pumps without simply stepping out of them, which is highly irritating. Still to this day, I don't usually wear pumps unless I feel I need to really dress up for a number of reasons, but the main one is that I have to work at it to keep them on. I have found over the years that heel grippers make zero difference. If anything makes any difference, I need to add a ball of foot pad to take up some room, but that often makes the toe area super tight.

Now to tie in the title with the subject: Are some people's feet actually built in such a way that they can actually just slip into their pumps and actually walk in them? Can some people just simply flex their foot and pop their heel out of their shoe and still actually walk in such a shoe? Or is this just social media trickery?

• Like 1

First I don't wear pumps because the vamp cuts into my tendons and it is painful. So my "slip on" are mules. I can slip my foot in and start walking. And it is extremely rare when I can walk out of them.  I have a large toebox and that keeps them on, I wouldn't call them tight, just snug. I can take them off hands-free by 'kicking' the heel with the other foot.  I have 4 different styles of mules and they all work the same for me.

I occasionally get those walk out pumps or wear them to that point. These many of my pumps have a Mary Jane Strap or an ankle strap. With these features there are no issues. Also, good pumps will narrow above the heel cap, gripping my ankle. This is also a reason I don't care for platforms. All platforms have less flex and all platforms will dislodge more easily. 

Oddly enough, I wore pumps over the weekend, and I have several pair in this general style. All of them are between 4 1/2 and 4 3/4 inches. This particular pair, which are Steve Madden Daisie, are quite comfortable. I had them on for about five hours, much of that standing, and never regretted it. In fact, I did not feel anything but good vibes.

To go along with the main subject, however, I can't just slip these things on or off. It's a bit of a production. The good thing about this is no unintended shoe loss. I still do not understand how some people manage to slip right into their pumps and still walk around normally.

SMDaisie175th.jpg

• Like 3