Stamina and Practice in Heels

mlroseplant

I’ve been thinking of getting one. It would be handy as I wear boots all the time and my favourite pair are really thought to get off - to the extent that I find myself reluctant to wear them. When they are in, they fit beautifully and are very comfortable - I’ve done 25,000 steps in a day in them with no troubles whatsoever. Getting them off at the end of the day is another matter

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It is time for another trip to the cobbler. I have actually worn through a sole on my most durable pair of shoes, my True Religion mules, after 207 miles. I'm on my third set of heels with this pair, which have lasted an average of 80-90 miles each, a figure which is nothing short of remarkable, considering I was lucky to get 40 miles out of a set back in the day.

What is also amazing is that I wore 4 1/2" stiletto mules to church today, and then later to the grocery store, and I realized as I was getting ready for bed last night, I didn't even really think about it all day. It's been a long while since the day I wore 4 inch boots to the mall (in retrospect, WAY too high for me at the time), and didn't think I was physically going to make it back to the car.

I do not believe that I can credit only the years of walking in heels that has enabled me be able to wear quite high heels all day. I believe it is in combination of my foot exercises that I do to increase the strength and flexibility of my feet. I say this because I used to have foot pain from wearing flat work boots, and those days are also long in the past.

• Like 1

On the subject of practice in heels, I’ve lately been making an effort to settle into wearing my 10cm stilettos. I’ve no place really to walk in them other than while writing at my kitchen table or pottering around making lunch or coffee as when I step outside I am onto rough and muddy towpaths which would only ruin the boots or break the heel - or me! But I’ve noticed that even in a week if just wearing them around the home/office I have become much more attuned to wearing them. 

I believe there is something to that because for me, it's never really been about the walking--it's the standing. I believe the walking ultimately helps my standing endurance, but the two are definitely different animals.

When my wife started this egg roll business in earnest, I went on a mid- and low-heel buying spree, because I wanted to wear heels to the events, but I didn't figure I could hack the 5+ hours of standing in high heels. Over the past three years, I find myself wearing those less and less, to now practically never.

What I cannot figure out is how the burning sensation in the balls of my feet has gradually left. I know women often complain about that particular pain as being the worst, and I do remember it, but I just don't seem to have that problem anymore. Maybe I willfully ignore it now. I'll have to pay better attention.

I wouldn't start paying to much attention, or giving too much thought to the possibilities of burning pain in the balls of your feet because you may just revive it!  I would guess the nerves in the balls of your feet have adapted to the circumstances of spending much time in high heels. 

I find that as I work at my desk, in stilettos, getting up as and when, I am very much become used to wearing heels, even if I am not striding long distances down city sidewalks. I get up and make coffee matter of factly, often forgetting that I am in heels at all.