My 3Rd Annual Farewell To Heels

mlroseplant

It's hard to believe, but yet another year has passed, and my family will soon be on its way to Vietnam to visit my wife's family during the Lunar New Year, commonly known as Tet holiday. Many of you have heard this story before, but although she tolerates my choice of footwear here, my wife does not allow me to wear my heels in Vietnam, and that's probably right. We are a little bit more live and let live here in the U.S. At the place where I will be staying, my white face, blond hair and blue eyes attract enough attention already. I cannot imagine what it would be like if I went walking down the street in 5 inch stilettos.

I'll still be in touch, but from the other side of the world for about three weeks.

I had an interesting experience last night, on Lunar New Year's Eve here in Vietnam. We visited my wife's uncle right after midnight. The Vietnamese are fairly superstitious, and exact who is the first visitor to your house in the New Year is important.

This uncle has a youngish daughter, 28, who is single, and is all about fashion and dressing like a Hotgirl. She has been my on and off nemesis for the past 8 years, but she is also one of the very few here who knows how I dress in the U.S. Last night, she did not disappoint, and wore a low cut, short floaty dress with 5 inch peep-toe sparkly pumps (1" platform). Although she loves to wear "ambitious" shoes like that, she's not really very athletic, and doesn't walk well in them.

I joked with her a couple weeks ago that maybe I could give her some instruction about how to walk more gracefully in her heels, and she actually admitted that perhaps she could use some help. Last night, she excused herself for a few minutes, and promptly tripped over the door threshold and fell down right in front of me!

Given our sometimes adversarial history, I couldn't help but feel a moment of delight, but I have to admit, I wish I could be a little bit more like her--she got up, and didn't seem a bit embarrassed. Unfortunately, she didn't allow me to take any pictures, but I'll be meeting her again tonight, so we'll see what another day brings.

Of course, my wife rolls her eyes at the whole thing, but bless her heart, she is very tolerant of me.

Great story, Mlroseplant! I'm glad she wasn't hurt, but you'd think she would use some common sense and take lessons, either from you or someone else, on how to be graceful. I've seen lots of college women like that. They never practice walking in heels. They always wear sneakers or flip-flops. And then they go to a party all dolled up and really struggle to walk. So the first thing they do when they get inside is take their heels off. Sad.

My wife was a sorority chapter advisor for 25 years at the local college, and she used to go crazy when the gals did that. She would try to teach them to act like ladies instead of tomboys, but there were always a few who were untrainable! Oh, well.

Steve

Steve, your story (or rather, your wife's story) is a good one as well. As for Miss Hotgirl, mentioned just above, she is going to have to go through life looking a bit like an idiot, because she has p***ed me off for the last time.

On a more positive note, once again, Hanoi is a very good place to see a ton of heels!