High News: Women defend right to wear heels as 'kill joy' union bosses condemn heels

Maverick

This is what I see happening in the future. It kind-of relates to smokers: Said smoker smokes until they develop lung cancer or some very bad medical conditions. The system tells them ' you did this to yourself, its not our problem, have a nice day ' and they live in misery. The same will happen with heel wearers as its a ' choice '. Some ( as the Union stated ) will say its a bad choice. And those heel wearing people will have to live with the aches and pains. The whole problem with the picture is people should be allowed to wear what they choose UNTIL it adversely effects those around them, thus they become a contributing problem. If anyone noticed, there was NO mentioning at all of the type of Labor being performed. THAT is the meat of the equation which is absolutely left out of the discussion.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

What kinds of jobs are these women doing that its hazardous to wear heels? If they are working in a factory, warehouse, or doing labor jobs, well no shit they shouldnt be wearing heels. Are we talking about office workers or what?

I didn't see any mention as to what kinds of work was being performed either.

There are some jobs where a heel of any kind isn't appropriate. Over the last few years, I spend 11 to 16 hours a night in big ugly steel toe work boots. I have yet to find a pair I would consider anything near comfortable. I often wonder if the foot aches and pains I get out of these would be comparable to a newbie in ballet boots.

A few years ago when I was a 'safety coordinator', I did hear mention that work related injuries related to high heels might not be covered under workers comp insurance. Never did hear if they followed through on this proposal.

I didn't see any mention as to what kinds of work was being performed either.

There are some jobs where a heel of any kind isn't appropriate. Over the last few years, I spend 11 to 16 hours a night in big ugly steel toe work boots. I have yet to find a pair I would consider anything near comfortable. I often wonder if the foot aches and pains I get out of these would be comparable to a newbie in ballet boots.

A few years ago when I was a 'safety coordinator', I did hear mention that work related injuries related to high heels might not be covered under workers comp insurance. Never did hear if they followed through on this proposal.

There are definitely places where heels are not appropriate. And honestly, if you are in a job where they arent appropriate and you get hurt while wearing heels, I dont think you should get workmans comp. Blatant health and safety violations shouldnt be covered. Even if you are in an office setting and you roll your ankle in your 6 inch platform pumps, i still dont think workmans comp should cover you. Heels are a choice, i love them to death, but we shouldnt be handing out money to people who hurt themselves wearing them, thats a risk you take living the heel life!

This is relevant to me too. I just bought my GF a gorgeous pair of 6.5 inch ZiGi's and she took a spill at work just last week. She wasnt quite used to the way the front of the platform slopes up towards the front and missed a step. She hit the ground pretty hard and sprained both wrists. She knew it was her fault and wouldnt even think of trying to get comp out of her employer. She chose to strut those beautiful sky-high's, and paid the price to wear them all day at work with out much home practice.

Said smoker smokes until they develop lung cancer or some very bad medical conditions. (...)

The same will happen with heel wearers as its a ' choice '.

Ilikikicks, this time I don't back you. The shoe manufacturers are NOT secretely putting addictive drugs in their high heels, as tabasco manufacturers actually do in cigarettes. The difference is significative enough to me.

Yet some can feel a mental addiction to wearing heels through fashion, TV brain washing or magazine harassment. But nobody is hiddenly forced to let its TV on (I never bought any electronic device without a OFF-button) nor to buy fashion magazines. Also I think this societal parameter may not be as strong in France as in the US : through my humble experience, people here are not so keen to join social groups (there is no such fraternities in the universities, the churches live a hard time, etc.).

If anyone noticed, there was NO mentioning at all of the type of Labor being performed. THAT is the meat of the equation which is absolutely left out of the discussion.

It is clear they are speaking about saleswomen forced to dress according to the company's dresscode. Or women acting as hostess in expositions such as car expo, etc. Or even high street financial institutions, etc. Not manufacturing jobs involving security shoes.