Shy-Guy Street-heelers: It's now or Never!

Heelfan

Quite a few closet shyguys post on these forums that they havn't yet plucked up courage to "step out" in public in their heels. Well, now is the ideal time but it won't last for ever! To start with, block heels are less embarrassing for the shyguy than stilettos. But even these looked too effeminate a few years back, because the girls were all wearing block heels as well (before blade-heels came along )and the guy's chunky heels looked just the same as the ladies'. But now that ladies' block heels have died out and have been superseded by stilettos, the shyguys' same chunky heels have started to look much more macho and masculine by comparison with the ladies' much thinner stilettos. It is now much easier for guys to street-heel in block heels without feeling shy. But don't leave it any longer before starting! The present ideal situation will not last much longer. Before too long (another two to four years), the 20-year-fashion-cycle will dictate that all high heels will go out of fashion and almost all women will again revert back to the dreaded flatties, leaving shyguys in high heels (even blocks) feeling very isolated and vulnerable. The moral of this story is - GET STUCK IN NOW, AND ENJOY STREET-HEELING whilst the present ideal conditions still last! Best of luck - post us with your heel debuts and successes! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

not only that, but with Halloween being friday, nobody will think twice about what you wore. Last year, my best friend and I were hanging out on Halloween and I noticed a couple guys wearing heels... he didn't even pay any attention (and he normally catches that sort of thing). I hadn't told him about how I like to wear them until a good month or so later, so I didn't really comment on the guys wearing the heels at the time... when I mentioned seeing the couple guys on Halloween, he said he didn't remember; He was completely oblivious to it, despite one of them being a waiter at a place we frequent. I don't have anything to do this year (on a Friday night no less), but I might go out shopping wearing something less chunky and quiet (ie, something I'd like to wear but still get nervous about) since nobody else will care. It'll make the step a little easier

Agree with HF. Just aquired a pair of these:-

Posted Image

They have a 1.75" block heel and are dead comfortable. Been wearing them all day here at work and not an eyebrow raised or even a mention from the girls (they notice things about your dress far more than blokes do). Pop over to http://www.tallgirls.co.uk and look under school shoes section. Their service is excellent along with quick delilvery.

Great to boost your confidence.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

well i have to say even though i like blocks, i much prefer stilettos, as im sure many would agree although in appearence more feminine, (because its girls current fashion) they are dead sexy and feel nicer to walk on. They make more noise and have that exciting unstable feeling. Anyway i dont know if anyone has noticed but all th estilettos and even blocks are starting to emerge with these ghastly white 60's style stripes which is repulsive fashion sense in my idea. Just shows the designers cant come up with anything new, so they spice up the old fashions. Although i get shy easily, my first time out on the busiest day of the year in Blckpool (i do pick my times well) was in 4.5in stilettos. My second was in blocks all day on the last London meet, and my third i announce will be in stilettos when we meet again on Nov 6th. So although still a bit of a 'shyguy' im a big believer of if you wear higher heels as i like to, youll be noticed anyway, so wear what you enjoy most. Daz

Actually Daz, I'm not so sure that your heels would have been automatically noticed (so far anyway) because your jeans were so long and ground-hugging. Generously long trousers/pants/jeans is an ideal way for shyguys to start without attracting attention. Then, one notices that most guys gradually get the courage to shorten the legwear, exposing the heels more and more as time goes by. It can reach the ultimate (but rare) stage of some of us even tucking our trousers into our boot-tops or wearing shorts! It all depends on how far each of us wishes to push our own personal street-heeling. In my case, I get ultra-bold days (highest heels, thinnest heels exposed fully) mixed in with shy days (lower, thicker heels and longer trousers). Everyone must do their own thing! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

i hate the fact of not having a choice without ridicule from the general people. I know we dont give a frigg what people think because who cares what they think, but it would be so much nicer to be able to wear what we like in the same way that women can do it without seeming like a black dot ina white background. i dont like been a stand out as an unusuality in the crowd, i like people to consider me as a normal guy, but not everyone is open minded enough to not assume that i would be gay or trying to be a woman for wearing heels. I know it boils down to that we have to just face people if we wana do it, and i will do it too, but my point is we shouldnt have to! daz

Yes, I entirely agree with Daz! We street-heeling guys can (and the bolder amongst us do) do it by just getting on with it and quoting Firefox's "I don't give a toss what they think", but as Daz says, it would be so much nicer if no members of the public would think it odd if a guy wears high heels. Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

It would be nicer, agreed. But to a very large extent it is "nice" anyway. I get more favourable or indifferent reaction than anything. And now my circle of friends and family has been long educated that not I'm not gay, or about to turn into a woman, but just that I enjoy alternative fashion. It's natural to want the easy life, but many people get more attention than others for various reasons. Take celebs. They can't step out of their door without people pointing or taking pictures. And a woman who wears higher than average heels will get more atttention, not all of it as complimentary as she would like.

i hate the fact of not having a choice without ridicule from the general people.

I know exactly what you mean, Daz. I'm not comfortable unless I can keep a low profile and remain unnoticed by other people - I've been like that my entire life. But at the same time I have this overwhelming desire to wear women's shoes, which would make me instantly noticeable and an obvious target for ridicule. So there's no choice - either I suppress my desires to wear unusual shoes and be miserable for the rest of my life, or else I wear what I want and constantly run the risk of people noticing and/or ridiculing me, which would also make me miserable. So it's a choice between being miserable in private, and being miserable in the public eye. It's a no-win situation - it means I'm doomed to a life of unhappiness and frustration. How do you deal with that?

"No matter what they say"

Just one question Dheel, have you ever actually tried it? Maybe, if you followed all the guidelines laid down by Firefox's site, and by other street-heeling guys on this site (you know - starting with lowish block heels, long trousers etc.), you'd find that it's not even a tiny fraction as traumatic as all shyguys initially fear that's going be! In fact it's a great experience! In his short few weeks of postings, Daz has rocketed from being too scared to do ANYTHING, to having come to the last London Heel-Meet, to promising to come on next Thursday's London Heel-Meet in his stilettos! Coming to one of our Heel-Meets is a real education and huge confidence-builder, even to a veteran street-heeler like myself (heels not compulsory!, especially for shyguys!). You find that the VAST majority of the public either don't notice at all, or or are amazingly OK (and even positively interested) in out heels. There's always the very occasional pair of giggling schoolgirls, but once one has the overall confidence that the world is not going to come crashing down on you, the buzz and the sense of fashion freedom are terrific, and the very occasional giggle becomes part of the fun. Like Daz, come along if you can - it's a great reassurance! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Quite a few closet shyguys post on these forums that they havn't yet plucked up courage to "step out" in public in their heels. Well, now is the ideal time but it won't last for ever!

To start with, block heels are less embarrassing for the shyguy than stilettos. But even these looked too effeminate a few years back, because the girls were all wearing block heels as well (before blade-heels came along )and the guy's chunky heels looked just the same as the ladies'.

But now that ladies' block heels have died out and have been superseded by stilettos, the shyguys' same chunky heels have started to look much more macho and masculine by comparison with the ladies' much thinner stilettos. It is now much easier for guys to street-heel in block heels without feeling shy.

I believe you're right, but for the wrong reason. Go to Nordstrom's or Zappos and do a search on boots (what most high-heel-wearing men wear out on the town) and you'll find a wide variety of styles. In fact, the variety is perhaps the greatest than it's ever been.

Why?

Marketing.

In booming markets with high competition, the best way to gain market share is through product diversification.

Since the competition is accelerating (there are few mergers among fashion designers, and far more new entrants into the market), and the market is fairly stable (shoes wear out), this trend will almost undoubtedly continue.

Therefore, you're best bet to help cement our place in history and the future is to do the following things:

1. Wear your heels on a regular basis, but in a moderately conservative fashion. We do need more expose to soften the public mindset, build numbers, and attain the interest of the designers. We don't need to push the boundaries, or we'll accomplish the exact opposite and become the next pet rock (or mohawk).

2. Write both the designers and the fashion outlets, letting them know of your desire to see their styles (or "Styles A, B, and W") in larger sizes (like two sizes above your own).

One trick for window shopping for styles you'd wear if they came in your size is to go to Zappos, Search on Size, choose something in the middle, like 8 or 9, then Search. When the list comes up, choose the heel height and Show All One Page (or 99 one page).

I've found many different styles of high (4" and beyond) heels that would look very good on us guys, so much so the public wouldn't bat an eye.

But they're not in our sizes!!!

Pick a few and e-mail the manufacturers, telling them you'd very much like to see this style in your size!

It's pretty easy...

I believe you're right, but for the wrong reason. Go to Nordstrom's or Zappos and do a search on boots (what most high-heel-wearing men wear out on the town) and you'll find a wide variety of styles. In fact, the variety is perhaps the greatest than it's ever been.

Why?

Marketing.

In booming markets with high competition, the best way to gain market share is through product diversification.

Since the competition is accelerating (there are few mergers among fashion designers, and far more new entrants into the market), and the market is fairly stable (shoes wear out), this trend will almost undoubtedly continue.

Therefore, you're best bet to help cement our place in history and the future is to do the following things:

1. Wear your heels on a regular basis, but in a moderately conservative fashion. We do need more expose to soften the public mindset, build numbers, and attain the interest of the designers. We don't need to push the boundaries, or we'll accomplish the exact opposite and become the next pet rock (or mohawk).

2. Write both the designers and the fashion outlets, letting them know of your desire to see their styles (or "Styles A, B, and W") in larger sizes (like two sizes above your own).

One trick for window shopping for styles you'd wear if they came in your size is to go to Zappos, Search on Size, choose something in the middle, like 8 or 9, then Search. When the list comes up, choose the heel height and Show All One Page (or 99 one page).

I've found many different styles of high (4" and beyond) heels that would look very good on us guys, so much so the public wouldn't bat an eye.

But they're not in our sizes!!!

Pick a few and e-mail the manufacturers, telling them you'd very much like to see this style in your size!

It's pretty easy...

Here's another shoe I REALLY wish came in my size. They'd (and feel) great with my black slacks while out on the town.

Posted Image

This is where these forums really come into their own - guys discussing and recommending and illustrating streetheels to other guys, swapping views and information - all exceelent stuff! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

i rather like those in the picture. thats something i could be confident enough to wear anywhere. I go high heeling in fairly obvious stuff nomally, which means usyally away from home. styles like the above could change that! The collection builds.....

Exactly Daz! It's missing on life for any of us to restrict our street-heeling to going miles away from home, when there are discreet fashions around that we can feel comfortable wearing in our own neighbourhoods (and even to work, which many members do). It is largely for this reason that I started the thread "Discreet Heels for Shyguys", and elsewhere many other members have posted references and illustrations of heeled "Unisex" shoes that would be satisfying and fun to wear without any noticeable embarrassment. Happy heeling, Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Here's another shoe I REALLY wish came in my size. They'd (and feel) great with my black slacks while out on the town.

Posted Image

Hi Gene,

I really like these. Is there a website that has them? I would really like to get a pair! I have block heels from Payless in size 10 (normally I take a US women's 11) and they fit fine because they are mules. I think in mules you can get away with smaller shoes.

Thanks,

Scotty

Heelymates,

Just think - 30 years ago, we were wearing these:- Well I was. I wonder when the fashion will come round again. There is hope.

Posted Image

Posted Image

In those happy times we could heel away to our hearts content.

These pictures come from the Russell & Bromley website from their history section.

TTFN

There's no reason you can't still wear those styles today. Admittedly, manufacturers no longer produce them for men. But, nothing says you can't find a pair of woman's shoes like them and wear them in public. I do and have been for years. Heels from 1½" to 3" and boots with heels as high as 4½".

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

V. True Bubba. I wear womens loafers (2") at work without problems. I was having a blast from the past, so to speak. Putting it another way, I'm showing my age :( Toodles

Heelymates,

Just think - 30 years ago, we were wearing these:- Well I was. I wonder when the fashion will come round again. There is hope.

Posted Image

These pictures come from the Russell & Bromley website from their history section.

Well spotted Thighman, I recalled taht things were more platformy that early. I actually still have an old pair from slightly later than that (needing some conservation!) which have a true 3ins straight block stacked effect heel on a shoe without any platform in a grey semi-brogue style with almond toe. I doubt any higher male shoe was produced for the high street. Sorry, I don't have digicam to get a pic uploaded, try the next one instead...

_

This item is from Shoebox for women, not sure how long ago:

Posted Image

and shows what can easily be done.

_

BTW spotted on the telly over the weekend was the TV host and presenter, Jonathan Ross, on his sports quiz show wearing a splendid pair of black suede cuban heels. Probably a good 2ins+ and he wears his trousers quite short too. I guess Ross is the exception that proves the rule as he probably counts as what a century ago would be called a 'Dandy' and flambouyant dresser.

/I

/I

Daz, a useful tip when you don't know where a picture comes from is to click on it with the right button and examine the "properties" on the menu. Of course someone may have posted off the picture server when you will be non the wiser, but in this case you will find they come from

http://www.zappos.com

A quick search of the excellent Zappos site reveals:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1098232/c/3.html

(available up to size 8UK)

Another one I liked from the mule selection was:

Posted Image

Dear Ionic, In the early 1980s, there WERE higher men's heels in high street shops than black lace-ups you illustrated. I have a pair purchased from Mr. Henry (a now defunct Oxford Street shop near where Ravel is now) at that time which has heels of almost double that height. I'll show them to you on one of our Heel-Meets. Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Hello everyone, Have been w/o internet for a few days, but I am back .... Just wanted to share a small success story with you all. My plan was to go to a party dressed in a military costume and have my HH in my backpack along with a skirt (to increase the challenge). After the party my plan was to change and walk home using both skirt & heels. Well, I did it! it feels Soooo good!!! ( helped to gain confidence!!!) Thought of sharing with you all, thanks for your encouragement! Pam PS - This was posted on another thread, but makes much more sense here! Cheers

Dear Ionic, In the early 1980s, there WERE higher men's heels in high street shops than black lace-ups you illustrated. I have a pair purchased from Mr. Henry at that time which has heels of almost double that height. >>snip<< Heelfan

I didn't say there weren't. I couldn't illustrate my old 3" block heels (c.1977); as they were a close match in look, I showed the black ones as a demonstration of what was possible and occasionally available on the women's shelves if you hunt hard enough. They are probably approaching 2.5".

/I

/I