Shy-Guy Street-heelers: It's now or Never!

Heelfan

Why is it i can go into a shoe shop and end up in a twenty minute discussion over the style and comfort of a certain high heeled boot or shoe, and then either try it on or purchase with out so much as a sideways glance(one shop assistant insisted i try on a pair of stilletto RMK ankle boots, when i did she couldn't hold herself back, watching me prance around she admitted it blew her away, she loved the look and had never before even considered a man in heels), yet as soon as i don a pair of heels in public i seem to attract the glares from every passer by? Why is it i can wear 4" heels around a group of ladies and all is well, yet step outside and have those ladies/girls in the company of men, be they footy players or politicians and i am the local freak? Yet, if i wrap myself in a dress, lather myself in make-up, then don a great pair of heels and stumble from pub to pub pissed as a fart i'm the life of the party? Australian footy players are renowned for cross-dressing as a form of humour, and to be honest there seem to be cross dressers everywhere now days. So why, if blokes in dresses, pretending to be girls is acceptable, isn't a bloke in male attire with a classy pair of heeled boots? I mean in the late 80's you could still buy mens boots with a chunky 3" heel in cowboy style, yet a decade on colorado work boots and jeans with skinny ankles seem to be the accepted norm for aussie guys. i guess my point is that as much as street heeling is probably the one thing i want to do more than anything, apart from night excursions, and putting out the bin, the near future looks bleak, at least in the one horse town i live in. You would think 30,000 citizens and a university could cope but as yet the only contact i have is a dude that likes wearing nappies and lingerie. and he tells me his wife hates it. At least my girlfriend is cool, and why shouldnt she be, her sister is a lesbian, her best friend is a reformed lesbian who is now married to a man who is a transvestite, (i'm not supposed to know, of course), and she steals my boots even though they are four sizes too big (lots of sock wearing involved). Sorry to rant BC

thanks Heelfan! Feels very liberating! Fantastic experience...the best part is to realize that NOTHING HAPPENED...did something that felt great, and the world kept on turning to the right! pam

Exactly Pam! We've all gone through that first ultra-nervous debut stage and survived intact. We're all still here, still enjoying our street-heeling ten times as much. None of us have been molested, imprisoned, ostracised or anything else. We all get a sheer sense of relief that a) It went 100% OK, and B) that we can repeat it for evermore. What could be better? Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

HI BC, I am not sure these are always the same people. The women that compliment me on my shoes are usually women that are very much into shoes themselves. And thrust me, there are some serious shoe freaks among women. I have met sales women that probably own half of what is being sold in their store. I consider this the "good" side of acceptance. When it is a rugby player cross dressing, it is much more a parody on life. I don't think this is such a good thing. We all would like HH wearing buy guys to become mainstream, without any implications of being "funny".

Loveheels statement that

We all would like HH wearing buy guys to become mainstream, without any implications of being "funny".

says it all. That's really the reason for my being here and the purpose I've had in mind all along.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Well I managed a first for myself yesterday, so I thought I would share since I'm pleased with myself:

I have shopped, tried shoes on in shops with the heel-meet group before but never entirely on my own (charity shops & TLSB excepted or the dash and grab method off the Sale racks).

Anyway walking past a small local Ravel shop, I spotted a couple of pairs of smart boots in a 42 with a 3.5" thick blade heel on a mid-season sale rack. I resolved to return the next morning with my little tape-measure (courtesy of Heelfan) and also when I wasn't wearing thick socks.

My collection is well stocked with 3" heels which get regular outings and 4" ones of various shapes but which I am either yet to train up to or else find too spikey to be brave enough to wear out. I have a serious gap at 3.5", an important staging post on the way to the 4"ers and my last attempt on eBay was a total failure (for sale if you're a 7!!!) and they don't come up often enough.

Anyway, yesterday morning, wearing some 3" boots, I returned to Ravel when luckily the shop was empty. The assisistant took it OK and I thought she tried quite hard to accept me and see the look positively. I walked over to the mirror and yanked up the overlong trouser leg to get a clear look of them on, commenting that the legs were a bit long ~ she quite got into the swing of things and added that with the new boots the trouser legs were just about right. Made my day.

Her colleague was rather more puzzled and you have to laugh at this, guess what she said...

Disbelievingly she asked, wait for it... "Dont' they hurt?" ...yes that old one - argggggh. And there she is, selling shoes in Ravel, with racks of 4" stilettos from floor to ceiling behind her, and Ravel always has lots of high styles. Would she put off her lady customers with that question?

Today I walked to collect some pictures from the photo-processors to give them an outing, they do get narrower and narrower feeling after wearing an hour or two so even when you try on in the shop you don't judge things perfectly. I do admit the light was fading and it was getting a bit twiglighty when people's vision is in transition and they don't notice things.

3.5" is quite high enough for me without getting self-conscious for the time being.

_

Funnily enough, across the many lanes of the main road from Ravel on the side of secondary shops without the shop chains is a small independant shoe shop with a pair of men's 2" cuban heeled boots but they were double the price the Ravel ones so the decision was a bit of a no-brainer.

Mind you, they are tempting......

/Ionic-the-better-heeled

/I

Exactly Pam! We've all gone through that first ultra-nervous debut stage and survived intact. We're all still here, still enjoying our street-heeling ten times as much. None of us have been molested, imprisoned, ostracised or anything else. We all get a sheer sense of relief that a) It went 100% OK, and :( that we can repeat it for evermore.

What could be better?

No much, is like riding the roller coaster for the first time! We certalinly care for what people might think, when in reality most people don't. Every journey begins with a first step, high-heeled step that is!