The Interview

ChipsHH

Ah ha, someone should have read my post thoroughly :silly:

I said it within the first "paragraph" that I would still wear the "rags" I currently own, which is just a pair of gym shoes I have...

:) ...

I did read it, however, it was the "rags" I was confused by, and in none of your messages did you ever explain what that word meant to you. In the context of all of your messages, you made it sound like "rags" was some sort of pet name for your favorite pair of heels you own or something. I guess I have never heard the term used to describe gym shoes or any shoes for that matter. lol... Anyway, now that I know what you are saying, glad to hear that :)

...And I thought the rags were your other heels. I wouldn't wear gym shoes to an interview either, especially to work in a shoe shop!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

...And I thought the rags were your other heels.

I wouldn't wear gym shoes to an interview either, especially to work in a shoe shop!

There has been a lot of good comments on this thread, but one I think we all keep forgetting is that anyone who has just graduated from college has a somewhat limited wardrobe to work with, so you do with what you have. Any respectable interviewer these days will take that into some consideration.

As a recent example locally, a young lady (between 25 and 30) got her BA in business with an emphasis in retail. Was lucky enough to land a job offer at a local mall as a night manager, but with a house payment and 2 kids, her wardrobe was lacking. Owner dug through some returns which couldn't go back to manufacturer, a few clearance/display items and put together 2 complete outfits as a sign-on bonus.

There has been a lot of good comments on this thread, but one I think we all keep forgetting is that anyone who has just graduated from college has a somewhat limited wardrobe to work with, so you do with what you have. Any respectable interviewer these days will take that into some consideration....

I never got the impression that wearing more interview-appropriate footwear was an actual issue: the OP ONLY had 'stripper' heels, and/or couldn't afford another pair. Instead, it seemed like going this route was an intentional choice.

In terms of potentially having limited resources, the saying, "you need to spend money to make money" is appropriate here. You don't have to buy a $500 suit (or dress) for an interview (well, at least for a relatively simple sales position). However, if you have to spend some money to assemble a relatively presentable outfit, that might be what needs to be done to have an interview become an actual job offer.