The grass is always greener...

geo_t

...on the other side of the shoe store. Went shopping for work shoes today. Boring, black oxfords suitable for my professional life since my line of work is somewhat, shall we say, conservative. Anyhoo, walking past all those cute boots was somewhat depressing. Shoe Carnival had some really nice high heeled knee-high boots with turned-down cuffs (for $55!) but they only go to size 11. Sigh... the depressing reality of being a large guy with a penchant for heels. Now don't get me wrong, I love the collection of heels I have amassed over the years, and wear my Domina knee boots everywhere possible, but I'm getting a little tired with the same old size 13 styles year in and year out. Too bad I don't have the budget for custom made... :wave:

...on the other side of the shoe store.

Went shopping for work shoes today. Boring, black oxfords suitable for my professional life since my line of work is somewhat, shall we say, conservative. Anyhoo, walking past all those cute boots was somewhat depressing. Shoe Carnival had some really nice high heeled knee-high boots with turned-down cuffs (for $55!) but they only go to size 11. Sigh... the depressing reality of being a large guy with a penchant for heels.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the collection of heels I have amassed over the years, and wear my Domina knee boots everywhere possible, but I'm getting a little tired with the same old size 13 styles year in and year out. Too bad I don't have the budget for custom made... :wave:

Hi there. I must say there I am very lucky I wear a size UK 8 and here with us there are numerous heels,boots, stillettos and some more. Just so little money sigh, and so little time to wear them

Sounds like we have a budgeting situation here. Are you guys paying into your favorite charity (your immediate family, even if your single) a percentage of your earnings of your pay check before it's gobbled up by all the other expenses? Even if it's, say a $100 a month you pay into this account, in a year's period you've got $1,200. That's usually enough to buy most any custom or designer heels. It's just keeping the goal insight, narrowing the field of desires, and disciplining your cravings for the daily lattes, breaks enjoying donuts or chocolates, latest dvd's, or that other vise that you really could do without. It's your choice as to which is more important or of a higher priority. Usually, you have to nurture the lawn you have to get it greener so that it will be more attractive. By the way, throw the garbage away!

Sounds like we have a budgeting situation here. Are you guys paying into your favorite charity (your immediate family, even if your single) a percentage of your earnings of your pay check before it's gobbled up by all the other expenses? Even if it's, say a $100 a month you pay into this account, in a year's period you've got $1,200. That's usually enough to buy most any custom or designer heels. It's just keeping the goal insight, narrowing the field of desires, and disciplining your cravings for the daily lattes, breaks enjoying donuts or chocolates, latest dvd's, or that other vise that you really could do without. It's your choice as to which is more important or of a higher priority. Usually, you have to nurture the lawn you have to get it greener so that it will be more attractive.

Seems to me that you're taking a fairly light-hearted gripe (nothing in my size in a discount store) the wrong way. Sure, I'd love to give Christian Laboutin a few thousand dollars for some made-to-measure boots, but lets be realistic here. The US economy is in the crapper and shows no sign of getting better and unemployment is rising, so what's more pragmatic? Taking all spare $$$ and using it to pay of "easy" credit, pay down the mortgage and build an emergency fund, or blowing it away for a pair of shoes.

There's a reason I was at the discount store and not a department store... I got the *exact* same pair of work shoes for $30 less. Same reason I shop at a discount grocery store instead of Whole Foods... same food, less $$$.

By the way, throw the garbage away!

Um, what?

Hi geo t. I support you 100%. I have the same problem, except worse. I wear Usa size 15. Have sofar only been able to buy online from the Pleaser line. Even that has been horribly expensive. Out currency is rather weak and the shipping and inport charges are staggering. BUT- I will persevere.

I think everyone here at the site who wears sizes larger than women's size 10 (myself included) empathize and sympathize with your dilemma. You just need to decide exactly what you want, what you can or want to (reasonably) spend, and make sure you will be happy down theline with your choices. I wish you the best of luck.

Seems to me that you're taking a fairly light-hearted gripe (nothing in my size in a discount store) the wrong way. Sure, I'd love to give Christian Laboutin a few thousand dollars for some made-to-measure boots, but lets be realistic here. The US economy is in the crapper and shows no sign of getting better and unemployment is rising, so what's more pragmatic? Taking all spare $$$ and using it to pay of "easy" credit, pay down the mortgage and build an emergency fund, or blowing it away for a pair of shoes.

There's a reason I was at the discount store and not a department store... I got the *exact* same pair of work shoes for $30 less. Same reason I shop at a discount grocery store instead of Whole Foods... same food, less $$$.

I frequent the discount stores and shops also, because our situations are about the same as far as "extra funds". I just wanted to promote the idea that paying ourselves is just as important as meeting our other responsibilities. We don't have to buy the heels of our dreams that would bankrupt most budgets, but we should be saving or investing for things that can eventually help us and ours to break out of the container we seem to be in. Granted, it's going to be tuff and improbable, but we have to find some way to have the life we prefer. This is actually part of the American way - seeing diversity and making it work for us. I should get back into a career (re)training course and having the funds that I have paid myself is the way I can do it.

Hi geo t.

I support you 100%. I have the same problem, except worse. I wear Usa size 15.

Have sofar only been able to buy online from the Pleaser line.

Even that has been horribly expensive. Out currency is rather weak and the shipping and inport charges are staggering.

BUT- I will persevere.

Thats the spirit Addicted :)

Must admit, i know what you mean about the ZAR being weak (rather polite of you) - when I was at home, it used to cost me a fortune!! Things have improved slightly here in the UK on contract - can buy a reasonable pair far cheaper but the styles are still very limited! I'm only a size 10 so cant imagine what you go through!

Must admit I do look forward to business trips to the US where there seems to be far more variety and even in good stores like Nine West which go up to a US 12 often

Gingers Rogers did everything Fred Astair did .. but backwards and in heels

geo t,

A great big atta' boy from this accountant! Getting rid of that short & medium term debt is the fastest way to Laboutins. At the risk of insulting your financial expertise and based on your comment below, I'd suggest you let the mortgage ride (the interest there is deductible) and put all the extra $$ first into paying off that account which requires the highest payment to carry the smallest balance. That'll get you the most extra cash the quickest to start on the account with 2nd highest...blah, blah, blah, bringing Laboutins into your more imediate future. If it comes down to choosing between accounts with the same payment/balance rations, then pick the one with the highest interest rate. Meanwhile, you're not totally heelless. I mention this boring scenario as its the most frequent question I run into with my clients:...how do I get out of all this debt, and how long will it take?

Sorry, when I get on this subject, I get to preachin'..

UpBy5