I saw a man in high heels today!

roniheels

Just to add on the pronoun issue. It's even more difficult in French. When I'm in an English speaking country and people aren't too sure about my gender, I'm usually addressed as "Luv', Dear, Hon, Sweetie ... But there isn't such words in French. It's whether Monsieur or Madame (or Mademoiselle ... which considering my age wouldn't be adequate). It's kinda funny somethimes to see people struggling "err Monsieur, pardon, Madame ...".

If anybody calls me "Cherie", I'll bust his/her nose! That would be offensive and derogatory.

Why is that term offensive in some way, either generally or just to you? It simply equates to 'luv', 'dear', 'sweetheart' or similar mild title of affection. :)

Is it because that spelling is to be used in addressing a female - otherwise 'cheri' for a male? But in speaking, they sound the same and I fail to see your problem. :lmao:

You said that there is no asexual word of address in French. I am no linguist (cunning or otherwise! :lmao:) but I gave you an example. Please explain what is wrong with it.

I'm no linguist either but I strongly suspect that cheri and cherie imply a level of close friendship or even intimacy that would be totally inappropriate in a casual encounter. In english darling and my dear can be used casually without causing offence but they can also be used intimately or even ironically.

A difference between french and english culture can be seen in the relative formality of everyday shopping. This is for smaller shops, obviously not supermarkets. If you go into an english shop, an assistant might ask if they can help and the customer might well wish they hadn't been asked. If you go into a french shop you will be greeted with Bonjour Monsieur/Madame and it would be rude not to return the greeting.

As for seeing men in heels in public, outside of our merry band I've probably seen a handful over the last few years. That's excluding the commonplace "goth" platform boots seen routinely in Camden on the occasions I walk or drive through there.

Merci at9, you're entirely right in your understanding of the use of "cheri" / "cherie". If someone you don't closely know addresses you as "cheri" / "cherie", it's whether that she's a hooker or he thinks you are one.

• 3 weeks later...

Merci at9, you're entirely right in your understanding of the use of "cheri" / "cherie". If someone you don't closely know addresses you as "cheri" / "cherie", it's whether that she's a hooker or he thinks you are one.

My wife, who spent several summers in Italy on a college extension program to learn to speak the language, mentioned at the time that one of the words for "you" is the word tu, used only in conversation with close friends or relatives unless invited to do otherwise, NEVER with casual acquaintances. Misuse was a major social misstep....apparently in the same family with Cheirie.

Yesterday, I got a glimpse of a guy in heels. While I was passing a gas station near Sacramento, I got a glimpse of a guy in heels. I was with a co-worker, so I was not able to stop and chat. The guy was wearing long jeans and what appeared to be very tall heels or ballet boots. It was a great look!