Article in the Economist

gg_highheels

Below is a link to an article from the Economist on the long term effect of high heel wear:

http://www.economist.com/node/16588667

and here is the link to the Journal of Experimental Biology article referenced by the Economist:

http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/reprint/213/15/i.pdf

Basically, wearing heels creates stronger ankles to compensate for shorter tendons. A few minutes of stretching every night maintains flexibility. I thought it was nice of the Economist to note that men also wear heels.

Thanks for the links gg, It's always good to know the wider world keeps up with our hobby...

"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything." Nietzsche.

HUMH! Imagine that. High heels are more healthy to wear than some experts want us to believe. This study doesn't surprize me. Of course, I don't have any papers to attest to my perspective, just personal heeling experience. Although I'm happy for the acknowledgement about men heeling, my question is: What is an article about the effects of wearing heels on a person doing in an economist publication? I would think they'd be more concerned with the comparative practices of men's and women's purchases to wear heels and what effect will it have on the market as men become more significant in the purchasing of high heels.

As an experienced high heels wearer of some 25 years, I can certainly concur that they have an effect on my muscles and tendons. So much so, that it actually hurts to walk in flats for a while after changing shoes sometimes.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"