Trying to determine my shoe size

Tekno09

Hi I would say I'm about a 9.5/10 in male shoes, but I bought a pair of Pleaser Milan's a while ago in a size 9 (I'm assuming UK womens size) and they were way too small and very tight on my feet, so I ended up returning them. Then later on last year I bought a pair of round toe pumps from Priceless shoes in a size 11, thinking I needed a bigger size, but then those were way too big, so again, I returned them. Both of those were internet orders, so very hard trying to actually determine the right size when I've never actually owned a pair of heels before. I'm having a hard time trying to guess my size and I'm not really wanting to go into an actual shop at this point to try them on first, I know it sounds lame. But is there anyone that can help me out in actually determining what size shoes I should buy? Stupid question I know, although I'm a complete newbie to buying heels. Thanks.

Teckno, Firstly, welcome to the board. Secondly, shoe sizing, its a black art or so it seems. Priceless/Barratts/Discountshoestore is a good place to start though. You can order shoes to bracket your size if you are not sure (as you would in a shoe shop) then return those which do not fit. They credit you quickly too. You sound like my foot size which is a snug male 43. Mens shoes don't have to fit particularly well and with thick socks, this can really change your shoe size and width. On the other hand, womens shoes need to fit well otherwise they constantly slip off and in any form of heel this is a disaster and very tiring to wear. I now wear exclusively womens socks or kneehighs (popsocks) and so I found myself going down from eu44 to eu43 in mens. In ladies I really need a 44 unless it is a wide fitting, then a eu43 usually works. Don't loose heart, just go back to discount/priceless/barrets and order away. Watch out for Pleaser though. Their last width changes at US12/US13 from a womens width to a mans width. Their 12 is too tight - just for me whereas their 13 is like a boat due to the width. I would suggest a US12 as a slingback for Pleaser products. Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

The pleasers are american sized and so you should have ordered a 12. There is no substitute for trying them on...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Hi Thanks for your response Thighboots and Dr. Shoe. My feet aren't very wide, so width isn't the problem, at least I don't think so. With the Pleaser Milan's in a 9 it was more down to my toes being crushed up. I'm mainly looking at Pleasers to buy as I like them the most, it's just sizing is awkward and then most places have to special order the larger sized ones which is also a pain. When you say you suggest a US12 slingback for Pleaser, is that as in the shoe style? As I'm not really fond of that style, it's more the point toe pumps I like which is what I want. Can you recommend anywhere that sells point toe pumps, or another brand, that has more reliable sizing? Thanks again.

Priceless seem to be big for the size, Barretts small so you'll probably want a 9 from priceless or a 10 from Barretts. Pleaser do seem to be very narrow. I just got a pair of Nine West, and they seem much higher quality and a 9 fits perfectly (it's a women's US 11W really), though I am normally a UK mens 10. Hope some of that helps?

Tekno09, The sizing will vary depending on the styling and height of the heel. The Ellie 8260 is about a 6" stiletto heel with pointed toes. The construction of the shoe raises the foot so that the toes are positioned pretty close to a perpendicular angle to the foot. To wear the 8260 you'd probably have to get a women's size 12.5 US or a 13 US. Pleasers have many lines of pointed toes. Knowing the height you want the heel to be determines which line to buy. Say you wanted a 5" heel: the Seduce styling would be one of the lines to choose from. The Domina styling is a little higher. Bear in mind that the rise won't be the same as the pictured sample (usually a size: 6 US) used to depict the style you want, which makes the rise look a lot steeper than the heels you will get in your size 12 US. Have fun in finding your heels of perfection. All heelers have to go through a period of discovery for the heels that they like best. Depending on the total look of the heels, height may not always be in your top priority, but good quality and the proper fit should always be.

Hi Thanks for all of your responses, they were all very helpful and informative. So I'm guessing for Pleaser/Ellie Shoes, I would be better off getting a US 12, as I said in my earlier posts, the Pleaser Milan's I had were a size UK 9, I could squeeze into them but my toes were squashed. So I'm guessing the next logical size up would be a UK 10/US 12, which should have more room. Are there any retail stores in the UK that stock Pleaser shoes? I mean, I'm in the North West, not far from Alternative Footwear and Banana Shoes but apparently both stores don't have the larger sizes in stock and they are special order. But if there is a Pleaser/similar style type retailer I would make a trip and try before I buy. Does anyone know of any? Thanks again.

Tekno09:-) If you are going into a shoe shop as you suggested to try on heeled shoes, then you can be measured to see just what size may fit you and the salesman or saleslady can advise you as to the style that you are looking for and as to the fit for you. Wearing a pair of pantyhose under your male clothes will also help with the fitting end. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

If it helps...I take a US 8.5 or 9 in most men's shoes and find that Pleaser size 10 boots are a perfect fit for me. I have a somewhat narrow foot, for a man. I like my heels to be a bit tighter than my regular men's shoes.

hence why we haven't ordered any shoes over the net!! although very tempted at times!! what we found, it depends on the make and shape of shoe!! wife is a size 8, and self a size 8.5, measured on a board for measuring shoe size, where we got my boots last week!! two days laster were were at a shop that sells Pleaser, and the wife tried out a few shoes, and it ends up she is a size 12 pleaser she said the 11 was not a good fit, and the 12 was great, and should of fitted me well, maybe just a little tight on me, however she was of the opinion that it should of loosen to a great fit for me!! thats how we buys shoes, wife tries them on, and tells me, good bad tight loose...................., yep me very lucky!! that is our experience with shoes, and it has taken us a while to get to this point where we know what size from what standard/format fits us!! hope this helps!!:)

From my experience I've found that the Pleaser sizes tend to run on the small size. I wear a UK 9 and found that Ellies 13 (US) fits well, I have 2 pairs of boots & 3 pairs of shoes, but the Pleaser Go-Go boots that I own are a tight fit. Good luck with the shopping.

Hi Tekno09. Have you contacted Alternative Footwear or just looked at what's on the website? I'd be very suprised if they didn't have anything in a size 10 (UK) that you could go and try on, even if the specific pair you wanted needed to be ordered in.