Metal heels are dangerous!

Laurieheels

Now, when one is wearing a pair of shoes with metal spike heels, one thinks "yes, these look very nice, very different" But one never stops to consider the hidden dangers. First of all, metal heels, or even just tips, do not offer any stability on well polished, smooth floors. I learned that yesterday as I made sure I did not fall down while walking through the lobbies of a few office buildings. Another danger - Metal heels go through things. Please, do not wear flared leg trousers and metal spiked heels. Why? Well, I now have a nice hole, about an inch and a half wide, and a tear down the seam about five inches, because when I was stepping off the walkway into the parking lot at a local store, the wind blew the legs of my trousers around. As I came down, the metal spike caught the material, and it must ahve pulled taught and torn into it. As I tried to life my foot back up, the pant leg was now hooked on. I did not injure myself other than a pulled leg muscle and a few bruises, thankfully. Even in bad situations I can use my balance. In this case, I needed to drop to the ground and roll into a position to unhook myself, which was too late for the heel had torn through by then. My pants have suffered a lot, because once the heel made contact, it acted just like the stiletto it is named after. Before you say "oh wow, metal heels are wonderful" take a moment to think about the dangers. Wear them with skirts that are well above the ankles, and make sure you avoid certain surfaces. For me, I still prefer rubber tips, and I think my metal spikes are going to sit in the closet for now. Life is dangerous enough! After explaining it all to Chris, he was quick to say "well don't let this discourage you" and of course, I assured him that I would still be wearing heels. But the metal tips and heels stay inside for now. :wink:

once the metal is worn down and rounded from outside wearing, the tips aren't that dangerous anymore. I had my ankle boots re-heeled a while ago, when those tips were new, I could shave the linoleum floor in school just by dragging the heels along it..

Metal stiletto heels can also be a problem if you are wearing them with a long full skirt. You have to be very careful when you sit down that you don't step on the hem with your heel, because you will rip the skirt when you stand up. :wink: I find that the safest thing to wear with spikey heels are straight skirts, you can't catch the hemline with your heels and a straight skirt will make you more cautious anyway.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

90% of my heels are metal tipped. I see no difference between metal or rubber when talking about damaging skirts or other things. The main damage seems to be caused when pressure is applied on the heel itself (just looking at my wooden floor or car carpets explains the problem)...

Even on my thicker heels I place metal screws at the wear points for 3 reaons. To save wear, to attract attention, and it's a nice sound. But you do have to be careful on marble or polished type floors with steel. It's all to easy to let a foot slide on that surface.

They have very nice hard rubber replacement tips at most shoe repair places I've been too, and they last. Kind of like hockey puck material, I'd think. Strong stuff, that. I think I prefer that over any other heel tip material I've tried. it grips enough on the slippery surfaces, and does not damage the soft surfaces as far as I can tell. Of course, we're all different people, and we all have our preferences. :wink:

I don't think you can beat the sexiness of the 'click-click-click' of steel-tipped stiletto heels. I remember in my mid teens when my very first girlfriend had her stilettos re-shod in rubber, those same shoes seemed so meek and tame afterwards. It seemed to take all the fun and the daring excitement of stiletto heels away! I agree with Firefox that the steel tips are great for attracting (much-deserved!) attention, and obviously Jenny realised this when she added the sound-effects to her heel-teasing page. Cheerfully yours, Heelfan.

Onwards and upwards!

I agree with the fact that metal tipped heels attract attention. When I walk around, people do normal looking backwards to see who's coming (somthing I am now used to). A pair of very high heels attracts enough attention anyway (especially when you are wearing shorts or a skirt anyway). Metal tips are cool (and as you know pretty much all I own). It was metal heels themselves (ie. fully metal) that I am uncertain about. As Laurie did say however.... Each to their own taste.

Ah, well, now we come to the meat of the matter. I am not wearing heels to make them click and grab attention from that. I would not give up stability for sound effects, so, now we see where we differ on the subject. I think the impact rubber can still make a nice sound on many surfaces, but it can grip some of the more dangerous ones. It's not perfect, but it works for me. Strange, though, how everyone is hung up on the sexy sound of the shoes with metal tips, and should we not view the entire person as sexy? Heels are only an aspect, an accessory, and not the total package. So the click of metal heels is sexy. Why not a subtle laugh, or a giggle? Or any other number of sound effect issues that could come into play? I think we're hitting on a deeper subject here... the shoes seem to be the total turn on for some, and that is fine for those who feel this way, but I sense a bit of objectification in that attitude.

I've had my J-Lo boots re-heeled with rubber heels, after wearing the original heels out. I nearly went base over apex on a wooden floor with the metal tips. Since then, I've worn the hard rubber tips on several surfaces, and felt no end more secure. I doubt I'd wear metal tips, as I seem to spend a lot of time on tiled or wooden floors, and I'm clumsy enough. As for the objectification, I agree. Heels are an important part of a great look on someone, not an end in themselves, for me. When I see shoes in a shop, I wonder what they'd look like being worn. Empty shoes have something (or someone :wink: ) missing!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I actually prefer the softest possible rubber I can get for my heels for two reasons: - I DON'T want to attract attention - They give the best possible grip at quick turns, which is important if you weigh 80 kilos like I do. The wear is a problem but I put up with it... Bert

What's all the fuss about?

Laurie - I love the fact that you are straight to the point and I agree with some of your comments. I must add that sometime (when wearing metal tipped heels) I do happen to notice that people turn and look, which gives me confidence. They normally look to see who is coming, look at the shoes and see me walking with confidence and attitude (which kind of give me a good feeling). The fact that some find this sexy is an added bonus. My thoughts.....

I have two pairs of ankle boots that I wear outside virtually all the time now. They both have 4" stilettos, one pair metal-tipped and one non-metal tipped. I would go along with the general concensus (sic) that non-metal ones are more 'safe' but I find them less exciting. I find that if I'm walking on a tiled floor in my metal tips I find myself concentrating more and how I work and trying to improve it. I find it quite useful in a way I suppose. Having said that, I have learned the hard way about walking in metal tips on more than one occasion!

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

The real reason I personally want to attract attention is to bring my fashion ideas to the forefont. It makes it easy for others to follow. However, a girl wearing heels with a skirt obviously has completely different motives. They can still be dangerous whatever the motive though!

Laurie - I love the fact that you are straight to the point .....

Is there any other way to be? Well, maybe, but those are the ways of peop0le trying to hide something. Governments, large communication comapnies taking a nose dive, and the like.

Of course, metal heels do look dangerous, which can be an advantage.

*kick*

I'm late joining this animated discussion. It seems that having once become used to the attention a metal tip brings, then anything else seems rather tame, but the soft tips are good if this is a problem. However it seems like a problem with the non-metal tips wearing out. Could the non-metal tip wearers tell us how you know its time to replace the tips, how often it happens and what if you overlook replacing them in time - or how much warning you get and what happens

I'm late joining this animated discussion. It seems that having once become used to the attention a metal tip brings, then anything else seems rather tame, but the soft tips are good if this is a problem. However it seems like a problem with the non-metal tips wearing out. Could the non-metal tip wearers tell us how you know its time to replace the tips, how often it happens and what if you overlook replacing them in time - or how much warning you get and what happens

Sure... being a wearer of both metal and rubber tipped heels, here are my answers:

How you know its time to replace the tips: They wear down to a metal nail type fixing screw or the rubber simply looks worn

How often it happens: Depends on how often you wear the same shoes. I find I have to replace heel tips every couple of months or so (with heavy wearing)

What if you overlook replacing them in time: You tend to damage the heel, slip and fall on certain surfaces (ouch :wink: )

How much warning you get and what happens: Depends on your weight etc. I am tall and slim (weigh abou 55 Kilos) and am a very regular wearer of heels. I try and change my shoes from day to day to avoid damaging heels etc.

Hope that helps!

If you find the right shoe repair place, that uses a good rubberized material, you'll get a few years out of the tips if you are on moderate wearing cycles. My now falling apart clear heeled black sandals had new tips put on last year, and the tips look to be in great shape. Mind you, I didn't wear them much in the summer, but late Spring saw me wear them a lot, and they're great. The original tips, well, my advice is get them changed right away. A lot of places seem to use some sort of plastic, as far as I can figure.

METAL HEELS ARE DANGEROUS! It's official. I accidentally trod on someones foot this evening (a guy) who discovered how dangerous exactly my heel could be. He apologised for being in the way and then went off to scream quietly. I think it hurt the poor guy!!!

[sEXISM ALERT!] In England, at least, an accident caused because a male driver was distracted by attractive members of the opposite sex is called a "gash crash" :wink: I wonder if this applies?

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

In England, at least, an accident caused because a male driver was distracted by attractive members of the opposite sex is called a "gash crash" :D

It is really dangerous, especially in the city centre where there are full of spikes and pretty legs :wink: We just have to concentrate on the road... but if necessary (it is!) pull over the car to the side and have a good look of the heels...

Posted Image

HH forever!

I am glad I am not in England! I am sure someone would drive right into me.

Perhaps not... we drive on the left here :wink::D:o

That would make it even worse, I wouldn't know where the drivers would be coming from! Of course, I'd probably be feeling sick from too much of Fish and Chips, Bangers and Mash (mmmm) and even some Bubble and Squeak. Okay, that's stereotyping, but hey, sounds good anyway!