Trying on shoes, Oxford Street, London

Smudgeur

Hi guys I am going to be in the Oxford Street area tomorrow morning and really fancy trying on some heels. I will be dressed for a business meeting, but will probably wear some tights under my suit. I know a lot of you on here are confident enough to try on shoes anywhere, but I have never done this (except very quickly in M&S where all the shoes in all the sizes are on display). Where have you tried on in Oxford Street recently and had a favourable reaction? I went into one of the shops there recently and many of the assistants in the ladies section were male which I would find more embarrassing than asking a female assistant. Is there a better end of Oxford Street to try, or am I even better off trying the Carnaby Street area where I would imagine they are more broad minded. Are department stores or dedicated shoe shops better? Any advice gratefully accepted.

Smudge.... In haste, I'm up for a London trip. Unfortunately it will have to be afternoon, but if you would like a guided tour, I feel a little silliness coming on. Drop me a PM. Xa

That's a kind offer Xaphod, thank you but I'm not free in the afternoon at all - in fact I've only got about an hour in the morning between appointments - that's why I wanted to make it as productive as possible by going to a shop where I could try a few shoes on in peace! Thanks again, some other time, eh?

Evans is a good place they are well uded to guys in there and in the bottom basement of Topshop too. Faith is pretty cool too as is Aldo. In short anywhere in Oxford Street.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Well unfortunately yesterday wasn't much of a success. For starters my meetings got all messed around so I wasn't able to take up the kind offers of a bit of company for the trip. In the end I made a quick trip in the morning and a slightly longer one in the afternoon.

I started off at Primark to by some glossy sheer knee highs (to make it easier to try on heels) I went into Selfridges to put them on.

My first stop was, as advised, to Evans which is opposite Primark. Their shoe department is downstairs. There was one lady trying on shoes and one male assistant. For whatever reason, I couldn't bring myself to be served by a bloke so, sadly I left the shop. Next stop was M&S where there were loads of people about, I did however manage to try on one pair of heels in an interesting design that I hadn't seen before.

http://bit.ly/akbw0P http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414eEUTaX5L._SL500_SX182_SH35_.jpg

I then tried the following stores:

Faith - (Too many men shopping with their partners)

Aldo - (Generally too busy)

New Look - (Generally too busy)

So in the end I walked the length of Oxford Street and tried on only one pair of heels. Next time I think I might go in earlier in the morning when it is less crowded.

hi Smudgeur never mind,youll brave it sooner or later! PM me if your up for a trip again,i find monday evenings fairly good as generally not so many shoppers and the assistants have more time to help you,just my experience.Oh and i wouldnt worry about 'men',i have been trying on shoes for ages now and have never had any remarks,people tend to look away as if your a crazy man! lol

I just love those suede heels!!!!!

Hi Smudgeur Shame it didn't work our for you this time. Don't worry about the shops being busy though. Most people are too concerned with what their doing to be interested in someone else. Even if they do notice you, it'll be for a few seconds and then they're back in their own little world. Deep breath, and try again ;o)

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

I fancy a trip to Oxford street to try on heels sometime. I'd quite like to go to Aldo and try on these boots that are on sale at the moment:

http://www.aldoshoes.com/uk/women/boots/tall-boots/71829844-frosula/96

I don't think I'm close to being ready to wear something like that in public though, but would sure like to. :smile:

Very sexy :)

More than half of the trick is to decide on the outfit you would wear with them. What do you have in mind?

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

• 4 weeks later...

Im currently working 10mins from Oxford Street, anytime after 3pm i can do if you want. As for the stores the Faith store has just been restyled of the sorts, its always been busy so id recommend the Debenhams instead for Faith shoes, its much much bigger, more seats and more space to try on what you want. The Aldo store near Oxford Circus station is usually busy but the female staff there have no problem serving men, i should really start learning their names. The other Aldo store i was served by a guy for the first time (in any store) who really also didnt care but i saw their manager running around keeping them all in check. New Look ive been in there changing into heels with all the girls around, this is just a bonus to be honest. Rarely find anything i actually want to buy but its fun. I've personally found the Dorothy Perkins store a hard one to try shoes on, sale assistants seem too busy for me. I had a look down carnaby street, all i saw was a bigger and immensely cramped Office shoes store, any other shoe stores there i should know about?

• 4 weeks later...

Went back to Oxford Street again yesterday morning with the intention of trying some heels on, but again I chickened out! Evans (nr. Marble Arch) has a young male assistant in there on shoes and I'm really not comfortable asking a bloke, even though I did browse for a little while. Faith on the next block up (towards Selfridges) was far more promising, although was a little busy for my liking - even at 10.30 in the morning. I had a great opportunity when the very friendly shop assistant came up and asked "is there anything in particular you are looking for?". Of course, my answer should have been "I'm looking for a high-heeled court shoe in a size 9" when really what I actually said was: "No thanks, I'm just browsing"...... DOH! Thinking of returning again soon wearing a pair of (discrete) wedge heeled boots which will at least send a signal to any shop assistant looking that I'm in the market for heels.

In NEXT you would be very lucky that they carried the size 9 shoes. Never have when I have asked, seems they are for on-line and order in only. Anyway, don't worry about chickening out, its no big deal just a frame of mind thing, and that cannot be rushed. Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Went back to Oxford Street again yesterday morning with the intention of trying some heels on, but again I chickened out!

Evans (nr. Marble Arch) has a young male assistant in there on shoes and I'm really not comfortable asking a bloke, even though I did browse for a little while.

I once saw a shopassistant help an older bloke try on shoes there, so I'm guessing their used to it, but I know how you feel. I've tried on shoes at the other Evans on Oxford street a couple of times. It's not a big thing when you get used to it.

In Newport Mon. there is a next clearance (by Argos & T K Max in Maesglas) and they have 9s most of the time. Prices vary between £10 and £50 and tend to be seasonal. So far, no objections to trying them on, but customers do tend to gawp.

totter along into history