The danger of flare jeans

heelma

A while ago, I found jeans on alloy.com with a huge flair (if you stretch it, it's probably a foot or even a bit more) and 37" inseam. Those are really cool with platforms but also with Stilettos. Today, I walked in the city with "Brazil" pumps from The Highest Heel (see attached pic). Those have a chrome heel that measures 5 1/4" (advertised as 5" though) and have quite a long pointy toe.

I am walking down the sidewalk of a major street in the city, and then it happpend: I wanted to move my right foot forward, but felt that the tip of the shoe got caught in the flare of the left leg. Not sure if I stepped on it with my left foot before or if it just got caught there for other reasons. Anyway, the next second I fell forward onto my hands and my right knee. :wave:. Nothing really happened, maybe a small scratch on my knee. No pedestrian was around, though some cars were, but nobody said anything, honked or sth like that. It probably must have looked just like in this YouTube clip:

, just that this model landed on her belly/face :wave: I actually would have liked to see a movie of myself, too :cry1:.

post-3379-133522897305_thumb.jpg

Flare jeans are cool but maybe not sooooooo flared out. I have wondered what could happen if a heel got caught in these pant which often touch the ground. I think you're just about as well off with some boot-cut jeans. They will expose an inch or less of your heels and the stretchy material is wonderful on the skin. Chances are if you are wearing stiletto-heeled shoes in public that nobody will say anything bad and you probably will get some good comments! If you have already are stepping out in stillettoes then wearing such a flared pant becomes unnecessary. Shoe your heels, paint your toes, and have fun!! HappyinHeels

I tend to wear long so quite often I step on the back of the trouser leg. That seems not to cause a problem just the seams get worn quickly . There is a following of over length trousers whatever the heel height, certainly to me, at a certain point the excess length becomes a total waste of time, I can cope with it when stepping down out of heels but on a full time basis noway. Dragging too much material around I'd far rather use a broom to sweep the floor. Used to wear big flares in the 70s, don't remember catching a toe. Al

Flares are OK but like anything, sensible and moderation. I feel so sorry for any model who falls on the runway for whatever reason. And if you wear your pants too long and they don't show off your high heels, haven't you defeated your purpose?

Flares are OK but like anything, sensible and moderation. I feel so sorry for any model who falls on the runway for whatever reason. And if you wear your pants too long and they don't show off your high heels, haven't you defeated your purpose?

Those jeans aren't too long with 5" heels. Their length is just right. I am definitely not cleaning the floor with them :cry1:

• 1 month later...

Here is an update on this story: I walked now many times again with these jeans and the same and other heels. I found that it's the combination of how pointy the shoe is and how low the jeans are that makes me trip over them. Usually, I like it when the jeans are just above the ground when I stand. However, with very pointy shoes like the one shown in the thread and to a lesser extent the Pleaser Milans, the pointy tip of the shoe catches the jeans then. I haven't fallen down since then, but I tripped many times. This doesn't happen if the same jeans are slightly higher, let's say 1.5" above the ground or more (height can be adjusted with belt settings), or if the shoe isn't that pointy.

I'm a big fan of Alloy (And the Buckle Stores) because you can get 37" inseams and some nice flair jeans... A couple things, your walk can be at play here, smaller steps don't lift the toe so high. I found it's best to take your time in wide flared jeans or pants. The other thing that can happen is catching the heel of the forward moving foot on the flare in front of the planted leg. Happens when you try that model style "crossover" walk. Keep you toes straight and your stride comfortable and you should do just fine.

Yes, Alloy is pretty good, also with respect to prices.

That being said ... I always try to push the limits, so I just ordered some wide leg pants from Simply Tall with 39"(!) inseam. Now, for those I will probably really need some platforms :cry1:

For those who are interested:

http://www.simplytall.net/ocollectionwovenpantbrown.aspx

I ordered size 18 for me, but they seem to be out of it now.

I'm a big fan of Alloy (And the Buckle Stores) because you can get 37" inseams and some nice flair jeans... A couple things, your walk can be at play here, smaller steps don't lift the toe so high. I found it's best to take your time in wide flared jeans or pants. The other thing that can happen is catching the heel of the forward moving foot on the flare in front of the planted leg. Happens when you try that model style "crossover" walk. Keep you toes straight and your stride comfortable and you should do just fine.

I agree, if your heels dont show whats the purpose. I love all my heels and want them to them to be seen. I also have a problem with mules getting caught up in flared jeans if the hem isnt just above the heel.

The fashion trend, for my lady co-workers, seems to be flaired slacks that appear to just about drag the ground with just a hint of the heels they are wearing. When sitting you can tell they are wearing some very nice heels but being that it's a fashion they cover them up. I'm more of one that like the 80's, where ladies wore skinny jeans with pumps or Candie's slides! Goes to show you how old I am but I definitely apprecated that way-back fashion statement!