An Amusing Encounter Downtown

ShockQueen

This was just too ironic not to share. What a day this was - it gave me something to truly contemplate. I was walking to the courthouse downtown to pay a fine I had received (long story - kinda dumb), but dressed as I usually am in this day and age - solid colour pullover, flared jeans, 3" heel boots, nails nicely polished, and assorted earrings in - the usual thing. I was walking around a corner, and this young lady turns around at me and starts talking rather loudly "You should be wearing sneakers - OH MY GAWD! WHAT A GOON!"..... ......all this while sporting a rather largish silver bottom lip ring with a black stone embedded in it. Being bigger than retribution, I just said nothing and went about my way. Oh sure, I COULD have quipped back "I don't see you have much room to talk there LIPPY" or some other remark - or could have told her that back when I was her age, people who sported lip rings like the one she was so obviously proud of would have been looked on like SHE was a FREAK too. Of course, I do admit I am not the most usual person on the block - quite the opposite really, but this was the first face-to-face, trying-to-be-negative encounter I have had in quite some time. I've gone through my share of name-calling, jeering, and the like, and it really doesn't phase me in any shocking way anymore, but it was just ironic being called out like that from another person who was also not very typical - at least around this area. Reality is 9/10ths perception, and I guess some just colour it differently than others. I don't wish the young lady any ill, as I'm sure it's just her perceptions, and someday she'll grow to realize that people are people no matter what their outward appearance, and once she realizes this, she'll grow over it too. Kinda funny when you think about it, knowing what all us went through back in our younger years. At least she probably hasn't been thrown out of any restaurants recently......but that's a story for another day.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

my stock reply for such idiots is "fuck you and the horse you rode in on"

"and the bulldog that gave birth to you!"

society has decided that men will be confined to

certain items of clothing, and certain modes of

presentation.

until we rebel PERSONALLY against this, we are diminished!

Who knows what she would have said if she ran into someone wearing oxfords, dress pants and a tie! That might have really freaked her out!

"and the bulldog that gave birth to you!"

Wouldn't that be a "cowdog" that gives birth, rather than a "bulldog?"

;-)

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Caustic and abrasive responses only serve to engender more hostility. If it is not your purpose to win the other person over to your side then a simple, "A pleasent day to you." will usually serve. We have far too much hostility in our world today. Whatever anyone can do to reduce the level of hostilities actually serves all of mankind. ;-)

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Oh I agree, Guy N. Heels, which is why I said nothing. I was out to enjoy my day, and nothing - not even a short-sighted person, will deflate me. I remember a time when such a comment would have pretty much shot my day down the tubes, but heh.....not this time.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!