stores in Los Angeles?

dheel

Does anyone know of any good shoe stores in the Los Angeles area, where they are accustomed to men buying heels? And would have sizes up to 12 women's? I am relatively new to LA, and have never worn women's shoes in public, and I'm very afraid of shopping for women's shoes. I'm guessing there must be some good stores in this city - maybe in West Hollywood somewhere? I'm not too familiar with anyplace north of LAX. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"No matter what they say"

What kind of shoes are you looking for? The "sexier" ones can be seen at Frederick's of Hollywood or Maya's Shoes nearby on Hollywood Blvd. Both are used to men customers and are very helpful. There are plenty more in the area, but I have little experience with them. Tony Shoes, well known on the web and as a brand, also has a small shop there, but not really very inviting, in my personal opinion. There are zillions of shoe stores in the L.A. basin (L.A. and Orange Counties), but many of the name stores only seem to go up to size 10. Hollywood is quite a distance if you are at LAX. Traffic and parking are better on Saturdays. Or, take the Red Line subway if it is nearby. By the way, the prices at the Frederick's store are unbeatable. But Maya's will do special orders, and has many men customers. I have a nice pair of leather spike heeled boots from Maya's, which the wife (BW) selected, and they are specially sized to wear with boot sox.

Thanks, but I'm not looking for the sexier type of shoes. Those are pretty easy to find online in my size. I want to find something more conservative, like something a young woman would wear to work in an office - like a chunky heel boot, or some kind of slip-on mule, or a loafer with a 1" or 2" heel, or something. Those don't seem to exist in size 12. It's so frustrating. It's just not fair!

"No matter what they say"

Thanks, but I'm not looking for the sexier type of shoes. Those are pretty easy to find online in my size. I want to find something more conservative, like something a young woman would wear to work in an office - like a chunky heel boot, or some kind of slip-on mule, or a loafer with a 1" or 2" heel, or something. Those don't seem to exist in size 12. It's so frustrating. It's just not fair!

Maya's has a pretty large selection of shoes, so you may still find what you're looking for there.

Ninewest only goes to size 10 as a rule, but their shoes run pretty large, so you may be able to get something there. Payless would also be a decent bet. Their size 12 selection is limited, but the size 12s that they do carry tend to be relatively low heels.

the truth shall make you fret

Why not try eBay -- You can find new, never worn, shoes in your size at reasonable prices in almost every style you can think of.

try looking through http://listings.ebay.com/pool3/plistings/list/all/category3034/index.html?from=R0

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

In addition to Maya's, try both Nordstrom or Macy's (either the stores or web sites). They carry some shoes/sandals in sizes up to 12. And the shoes are more "traditional," not real high heels or fetish, styles that you could comfortably wear in public, I do!! I can wear 2 - 3in heels with no problem, the 5 and 6 inch heels definately attract more attention. And I agree with BobHH, Maya's is a very friendly and accomodating place. SF

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

My local Macy's and Nordstrom stores in Santa Ana don't carry anything over 10 that I have seen. It's interesting that it is easy to find very high heels in sizes over 10 and over 12 in many styles, but hard to find lower heels in those sizes. If men want heels, are they only the very high ones? Not totally, I wouldn't think. How about a tall girl's shop? I haven't tried them (I take a 12 or 13!), as I wear the higher heels mostly.

The tall girls shops in the UK go up to a UK size 11, which is US size 12.5 or so. I imagine that there must be such suppliers over there. Over here, a shop called Evans does this, and most shoes are 1 to 3 inch heel, even in those biggest sizes. I found a place on the Net a few weeks ago, in the US, that caters for ordinary styles in large sizes. The URL was mentioned in some other thread. I'll see if I can find it again, or perhaps some other people may make some suggestions.

Why don't you just order them on-line from PayLess? They have an "https" secure sockets layer site, and they will ship the shoes either to your home (shipping charges apply) or to the PayLess store location of your choice (free shipping). Arrival is ~10 days from order date, and there are no questions asked at the store where you pick them up, other than asking you to look and see if what you ordered is what actually arrived. I have ordered 6 pairs of boots this way. Also, and this is the main reason why I decided to do it in the first place, is that you can get MANY MORE STYLES this way rather than going to your local store and hoping they have something in your size in a style that you like. Also JC Penney carries some shoes and boots in seze 11, and at least one style knee boots (2-1/2" blade) in size 12, as listed in their fall/winter catalog, which is being superceded by their spring/summer edition. I don't know if they have those sizes in stock at their stores, but they do have the particular styles in question. Also there is an excellent JC Penney outlet store in a mall near a large truckstop in or near Fremont (I will check on this--the mall towed away my 18-wheeled truck while I was purchasing some extra tall size 22 jeans one day back in 1999--I vowed that no matter how nice the store and mall was, if they couldn't stand the sight of a truck parked on the outskirts of their parking lot for 35 minutes, they could do without my business!)

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I have had pretty good luck with Nine West and Nordstrom in California. I carry a size 11 and usually find something in Nordstrom. Nine West often carries 10.5 and 11. Also there sizes run large so you may get by with a 10. I place that is fun to shop for shoes is the LA Garment District. I remember going into several shoe stores there and not anyone blinked when I asked to try on women's shoes. You are lucky to be in LA. I have found people there to be much more open towards men wearing high heels , than here on the East Coast.