Are you neurotypical?

Lisa

I found I couldn't really take part because only about two of the questions came anywhere near what my response would have been. The one about folding leaflets and the one about going to a party. Besides which, who is to say what is "correct". There is no such thing as "normal" which is why website forums like this flourish.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

neurotypical WTF is that? mentally normal? that's a bit hard as I have High Functioning Autisim (that's one wrung below Aspergers syndrome) but I like cars, computers, Banshee's (a VERY fast 4 wheel motorcross bike (2 stroke) it does 0-60 mph in 3.5 secs, I like driving my farm hack "The Defect" its in my sig, it's my pride and joy :lol: . but back to the subject matter i was 14 when I got a diagnosis, go figure :( it is extremely hard to get a diagnosis folks as no two people with autisim are the same unlike downs syndrome for example) they are sort of but not (it's kinda complicated and I dont want a 4 page rant! :) ) PS do NOT emil me about this subject either as I DON'T want answer questions.,please later, TXT-1

• 2 weeks later...

1/10 for me and that one was because it was the nearest to what I would do not what I would actually do so therefore really it should be 0/10 which makes me a full blown - what? a nut :( different? :D or 'norm' :D This one has lost me...... now I am confused :wink: Not one for people having an off day :o

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

I got 2 out of 10 correct.

However, for most of the questions, none of the answers fit exactly what I would have done. I had to compromise and choose the closest answer.

I was surprised at many of the "correct" answers that I got wrong. My score indicates that I appear to be suffering from neurotypicality.

This site makes certain points about what factors constitute neurotypicality. Let's analyze them one by one.

Neurotypical individuals often assume that their experience of the world is either the only one, or the only correct one. I consider myself to be very flexible. Listening to others has often altered my opinions.

NTs find it difficult to be alone. I enjoy being alone and often prefer it.

NTs are often intolerant of seemingly minor differences in others. I consider minor differences not worth the bother to be concerned over.

When in groups NTs are socially and behaviorally rigid, and frequently insist upon the performance of dysfunctional, destructive, and even impossible rituals as a way of maintaining group identity. Although I may be somewhat uncomfortable in groups, I do not rely on destructive or impossible rituals. I have nothing to prove to anyone.

NTs find it difficult to communicate directly, and have a much higher incidence of lying as compared to persons on the autistic spectrum.

I can communicate well when the subject matter is something I have some knowledge of. And although I have done my share of lying, I do not consider it to be excessive. In fact, as I age, my lying has decreased.

So it appears that my test results contradict the definition of a NT. One of us is crazy and it's not me.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

PJ thank God I thought I was going nuts. You have echoed my thoughts on the whole thing exactly. Who on earth has been paid to set this thing up and couldn't they have been a bit more flexible on the answers as I found that I couldn't relate to any of them. I would be:

Neurotypical individuals often assume that their experience of the world is either the only one, or the only correct one. I certainly do not think my way is the correct way, I am happy to admit when I am wrong and love to learn from experience. Variety is the spice of life and I am completely open to change. I do however object to people who do feel their way is the right and only way and try to change me. Have I just contradicted myself here? I know what I meant to say :o

NTs find it difficult to be alone. I enjoy being alone and often prefer it and quite often if I don't get quality time for myself end up quite cranky :wink:

NTs are often intolerant of seemingly minor differences in others. I generally don't notice minor diferences and if they are major then I am more interested in why they are different as I find it fascinating.

When in groups NTs are socially and behaviorally rigid, and frequently insist upon the performance of dysfunctional, destructive, and even impossible rituals as a way of maintaining group identity. I do prefer one to one confrontations as I like to listen intently to what someone has to say. Groups are frustrating as everyone seems to want to talk at once and I get distracted and fear I might miss something exciting :( I really don't need to identify myself either, like Laurie says I have to be me take me or leave me. As for violence I just haven't the energy or inclination.

NTs find it difficult to communicate directly, and have a much higher incidence of lying as compared to persons on the autistic spectrum.

I live to communicate with people. I find every encounter fascinating as everyone has a story to tell. My mum says I was born talking. I hate lying as I have lived with 2, but one in particular big time lyers. I will however avoid the truth :D eg if someone I don't want to hurt their feelings asks what I think about something they have bought I will say "if you like it that's what counts" because in a way that is true. I wouldn't want to influence a persons choice because I don't particularly like it, but then I usually tell them that anyway. I think, like PJ says as you get older (apart from the 2 that I found), you get to the point when you think it's way too much hassle, and I have a bad memory for things like that anyway.

Maybe the person who invented this is a neurodeficit :D

PS I have just been told by one of the doctors here that what this is in fact called is another word for an anankastic state :o

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

I got 1 correct answer out of 10 (and that's only because I know what to do with a rescue diskette and a text editor).

The telling comment about all of this is the bit at the beginning where the site author says that as many as 9625 people out of 10,000 (or about 96%) may be neurotypical, and that 'with training' they may learn to manage with autistic people.

I think this is put together by someone or a group of people who are at least partially autistic, and are angry with society, for its perception of them and treatment of them. The whole site, at least by my reading, comes over as very very angry. I found it a jolt as my perceptions of the situation were challenged. I must admit, I read it thru, then spotted the 9625/10000 number, and had to go back and read that several times. Then, I think, I began working it out.

Then I found this comment:

# This site is an expression of autistic outrage.

So there you have it. It's not quite what it looks like, but it's jolted my perceptions, and made me think. An excellent link!

I'm sad that we, as society, make people this angry. I don't think I know anyone autistic, but I hope that if I did I'd know how to treat them.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I did not get the test. Only one question had an answer that I actually liked. The designers of the test, like designers of all tests, have failed. Why? No one bothered to take into account the Laurieness factor. In that I am so freakishly different and unique, that tests like this can not be answered by me. I scored a 0, by the way, answering questions in ways that I did not agree with. What does that make me? Other than bored of the test and resolute in my feeling that such tests are utter crap.

Laurie wrote

by the way, answering questions in ways that I did not agree with. What does that make me?

That makes you:

I have to be me. No one else is going to do it! :wink:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

True... After all, if a child is being bullied, I will break it up, but I will not blame the victim. How stupid is that! I'd probably try to teach him or her a few self defense moves or something. Generate confidence, and then, the bullies will have one less victim.

I figured this out when I first went to the site, and concluded that I had about 60% more in common with autism than normal human beings. Since all of my kids have been diagnosed with varying degrees of ADD/OCD, as well as myself, and knowing there to be some sort of a link based on P.E.T. scan research done in the last decade, this came as no surprise!! Don't know what others were wrangling about though. It might make for some interesting research to find out if there is a connection between hi-heel wearing (or greater sensitivity to things traditionally known as "feminine") and low-scale autism. :wink:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I have never been diagnosed with OCD, however I have read several books on the subject and I had some of the classic symptoms that they mention (fear of germs, doubting reality, propitiation, bedtime rituals). It was quite severe between the ages of 7 and 19, and particularly disabling during my first year in college. Then mysteriously it went away, along with my migraines. Well mostly...I still worry a little about whether the stove is off when I go on business trips.

Michael

Try this page on that website before you get too worked up: http://isnt.autistics.org/humor.html

My rant is more about how I cannot tolerate any kind of internet test, because t he options so rarely fit what I would do.

I neither zig nor zag, so trying to determine a response for me to choose is like, well, predicting the number of rain drops that might fall in a given hour during a big storm.

• 3 weeks later...

most tests of this sort don't!

The point of the website is to draw attention that the so-called "normal" people are calling the autistic subset "abnormal" when many of these "abnormal" people lead a more successful life than any "normal" person.

Its just another example of how the people in power will stay in power by labelling unlike people differently and in a way that draws negative attention to them.

One of the definitions of normal -- "not deviating from what is common, usual, or to be expected." Therefore, anything that is "unusual" can be called abnormal. Even having bad breath. However, please keep in mind that as unpleasant as bad breath is, it's preferable to have bad breath than no breath at all! :wink:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.