Filling a gap (and making a mess...)

The problem:

I have a pair of 7 inch heels where the ball of the foot is partway up the arch. Partway to a ballet heel type of shoe. See forum Ultraheels post "These are interesting" for more information.

I'm pointing to the ball of my foot.

Posted Image

The problem is when standing my foot slides down, there's a gap at my heel, the throat of the shoe cuts my foot, and I can't walk 3 steps without holding on to something.

The obvious solution to me is to put something under the balls of my feet, sort of a hidden platform. I tried stuffing Kleenex and such under my foot and into the toes to keep my foot up and not sliding forward. This worked to a degree but usually too much or too little, and never both matching. And just as hard to get right the next time.

I was in the hardware store (ironmonger's?) and saw a can of expanding insulation. This product comes out of an aerosol can like shaving cream, expands to fill the space to be insulated, and hardens into a dense plastic foam. It's hard, but compressable and springs back. Seemed perfect for filling platforms...

Posted Image

It hardens like this:

Posted Image

The can has a 6 inch or so long tube attached for the stuff to come out of.

I put my feet into plastic bags, put on the shoes, inserted the tube under the ball of my foot, and pushed the squirt nozzle. A most bizarre feeling of compression for sure!

The instructions on the can said the stuff hardens in an hour so I laid down with a good book and waited.

After 1 1/4 hours the test mound of the stuff I squirted on a piece of paper was pretty stiff so I pulled the shoes off. The bags came off with my feet and pulled out quite a bit of the still soft foam.

I was into it this far, so I put the shoes aside until the next day. I cleaned up the small amount that had squished out around the edges and tried the shoes on.

Posted Image

The surface of the platforms was not too smooth, but it actually worked. I could walk in them.

Posted Image

If I ever decide to try it again, I'll do it at night and sleep with the shoes on.

Final note, the stuff is very sticky and eventually dries up in the delivery tube and can't be used anymore. I may try opening the tube up, but am not confident of success. I bought it on sale for $2.99, but I think it usually sells for closer to $10 per can.

Don't try it on your Manolo Blahniks :lol:

Hey, this is a brilliant idea. This problem occurs too if you wear shoes one size too small but have a big toebox. I have tens of pairs of those. If I could find a way to do this without risking expensive shoes... What about silicone? I could give this a shot with construction silicone! In a condom perhaps? But how am I going to pull that off with boots? Can't squeeze the nozzle down for 50cm/20"... I guess the zip has to be closed for at least a few inches to make it all fit decently. I got to think this over for a while! Thanks for the idea! Bert

What's all the fuss about?

I think the problem with silicone in a condom is it will never harden. Read the label, sometimes heat will cure it. Maybe enough heat for the silicon but not enough to ruin the shoes. I've used Bondo type auto body filler and boat fiberglass epoxy, too. They are 2 part mixes so will cure without air, but they'd probably dissolve the latex or whatever other flexible material you put them in. I've raised and even made entire new heels with the stuff. Maybe there's a 2 part mix that dries soft. It seems familiar, but I can't quite remember what it was for. Sometimes I just wander around the hardware store looking for shoe modification materials/tools. If you do much of this type of stuff, a Dremel Moto-Tool or equivalent is a great investment.

Maybe there's a 2 part mix that dries soft. It seems familiar, but I can't quite remember what it was for.

I think the stuff you're thinking of is Dentex used by dentists for making an impression of your teeth.

Also, back to the expanding foam stuff, you're supposed to clean the nozzle with solvent after use and leave the tube to soak. If memeory serves I think white spirit will do it but it will almost certainly tell you on the tin.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Mold release spray. Used for plastic injection molds and fiberglass lay up molds. Some versions are Teflon based. Just spray it on the out side bag before inserting the foot.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I think the stuff you're thinking of is Dentex used by dentists for making an impression of your teeth.

No, I wasn't thinking of that, but at least it proves that such a material exists.

Also, back to the expanding foam stuff, you're supposed to clean the nozzle with solvent after use and leave the tube to soak. If memeory serves I think white spirit will do it but it will almost certainly tell you on the tin.

Unfortunately in the US, that would involve recommending the consumer to use a possibly hazardous solvent without giving proper product warnings. Without safety instructions we might decide to taste it, clean our contact lenses in it, or light it on fire to help it dry faster.

My orbital sander came with enough warnings to make me believe I could win a war by giving it to the enemy.

My digital camera instructions include the warning that placing it on an unstable surface might cause it to fall causing personal harm -- and it's marked with the symbol that means death could occur if unheeded...

• 4 months later...

Onyourtoes - where are those shoes from? They are fantastic! I want a pair.

Hi,

I saw the very same style on a Dutch web store. They don't do deliveries abroad however....

I don't know the brand but the style is called Ellie A. Perhaps this will help you find them.

They come in sizes upto 45eur FYI.

Hi,

I saw the very same style on a Dutch web store. They don't do deliveries abroad however....

I don't know the brand but the style is called Ellie A. Perhaps this will help you find them.

They come in sizes upto 45eur FYI.

I bought them from www.americanheels.com and they do ship internationally.

• 1 month later...

A nice answer to a knotty problem. The better etreme type heels actually have a mini hidden sloping platform in the shoe. Almost a cross betwwen extremes and ballet boots. I think Arno has suggested lambswool, as used by ballet dancers in blocks, can also fill up this kind of gap. It has the right properties of compressibility and resilience, and would also be more durable than Kleenex.