shoe shops - experiences

paul.a.j

hello to all members.... what experiences do you have of shoe shops? i often look at the lovely heels in women's shoe shops and pick out pairs of the highest heels that i like. i am really tempted to try on and then get cold feet when a female assistant comes and asks if i want help. i would soo like to do that and to have her at my feet to help me to try them on. does anyone else have a similar experience? Faith and New Look are both good and I have often gone in with tights or stockings on to be able to try on a pair of heels. how has anyone else fouond female assistants? do they mind or just knowingly help?

My experience is that sales persons key in on your attitude and body language. If you act hesitent and or embarrassed, then they're apt to react negatively. If you present a self-confident demeanor, they''ll be more apt to act positively...or, at least, nutural. Like I said, this is my experience that I painstakingly learned over a period of years.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Possibly you'd benefit by reading this thread:

http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/guys/7255-shopping_heels_try_them.html

Quite a lot had already been discussed on most common subjects you might think of. You might spend a couple of days reading down each of the forums to 'catch up' as it were. Then you'll be in a position to 'add-on' your comments to everyone elses. That way, all the pertinent comments to a question can be found in the same place. :thumbsup:

This isn't a demand BTW, it's a respectful suggestion. :smile:

hello to all members.... what experiences do you have of shoe shops? i often look at the lovely heels in women's shoe shops and pick out pairs of the highest heels that i like. i am really tempted to try on and then get cold feet when a female assistant comes and asks if i want help. i would soo like to do that and to have her at my feet to help me to try them on. does anyone else have a similar experience? Faith and New Look are both good and I have often gone in with tights or stockings on to be able to try on a pair of heels. how has anyone else fouond female assistants? do they mind or just knowingly help?

It just depends on the store and the assistant. Some are very helpful and complimentry. Others are noticably uncomfortable.

As Fastfreddy2 said, you might read some of the past postings to see other comments and suggestions.

There is not a single shoe shop in Oxford Street that has not had a man trying on heels. I know, I've seen it so many times on the London heelmeets. As I said to a friend (not on this forum): "I can guarantee that I have sat right here and watched a guy try on heels exactly where you're sitting right now!"

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I had a funny experience recently..... Buying shoes from a shoe shop isn't a problem for me, I just say they are a present for the wife. I get the usual 'oh yeh i'm sure' but that doesn't phase me. Recently though, in the excitement of buying a couple of pairs of patent platform shoes, I forgot to ask if they give refunds! Being a womans shoe shop the biggest size they did was an 8, which isn't a problem normally for me, except when the heel is higher. It is then that I have trouble getting into them for some reason. Anyway, gets them home only to find that I cannot get into them (bah!). Takes them back the next day and says that my wife couldn't get into them and how she complained that they were more of a 7. After giving them the story, they tell me that 8 is the largest they do and I'm told that they don't do refunds! It is at this point that my eyes go into overtime looking around to find something that I can exchange them with which I know for sure will fit. I ended up with two different pairs which luckily i'm happy with. Getting to the point, before you commit to buying any shoe, make sure they do refunds or else you'll be stuck with a credit note!

In most shoe stores in my area(50 mile radius) I have found that if the sales person is a womam then I tend to be more at ease in purchasing womens heels. they have always been more pleasant than men. If they have worked in shoe sale for any length of time then I'm sure they know when a man buys a large womens shoe then it is probably for himself. I've tried on shoes in a shop in the Ft Worth area with no problems. In every store I've been in the women always smile when I'm selecting the shoe I want and at times are very helpful. It is my plan that next time I go shopping I will tell the shoe sales lady they are for me. I think that will break the ice and leave no doubt for the next time I enter that store. If it goes well then I'll do it at all the shoe stores.

t-straps are my favorite style.

Guest Loveshiheels

There is not a single shoe shop in Oxford Street that has not had a man trying on heels. I know, I've seen it so many times on the London heelmeets. As I said to a friend (not on this forum): "I can guarantee that I have sat right here and watched a guy try on heels exactly where you're sitting right now!"

Don,t you mean there's not a single shoe shop in Oxford Street that you have not been in and tried heels on!

I just returned from Target tonight. I was wearing jean shorts tee shirt, and clogs with a 2.5" rise. I saw thre pairs of high heels that caught my attention and I tried all three of them on. I wlked up and donw the aisle in each pair. No one paid any attention to me...including the sales clerks. Form your own opinions of that experience.