A really Off topic...

This subforum is called "Hellos, goodbyes and..." I have been rereading quite a few my (English(American)) books lately authored during 1965-80 and repeatedly found the spelling "goodby" of the word I did not remember any other spelling of than "goodbye". I have my excuse in that I am born and grown up in Sweden (still living there by the way...), but still... -I thought that I had a better grasp of English than having missed something like this... -Sigh... :lol: Please, can anyone try to enlighten me about this matter! Regards, TallSwede

• 4 months later...

It's the subtle things that confuse people. Technically, the Americans have the correct spelling of "color", "favorite" etc, but being British with our stiff upper lips, we just couldn't be associated with Yanks like that, hence "colour" and "favourite" became the new spellings. There are other difference in spelling and language which I won't go into...! SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

If you go back to the old english root spellings then the british spellings are probably more correct--old english much more resembles french in the aspect of unused (or at least un-sounded) letters in the spellings of words.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks