Another Press Clipping UK Times 11th April

Following on from the Daily Telegraph article which focused on President Sarkosy's 2" heels, I found this item on the TIMES website.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/men/article3721977.ece

The interesting thing from the article is that he has worn a pair to work for a couple of days, but more people commented about the extreme pointedness of the toes, not the 2" stacked heel.

Basically another free plug for Jeffrey West shoes - bet he didn't have to buy them either - if I know the press.

Another link

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2008/04/thanks_sarko_high_heels_for_me.html

referring to the Times article. Seems the press are really picking up on the Sarkosy Effect.

The scene is now properly set for the return of stacked heels on mens shoes. It just remains to be seen if the "high street" brands follow it up.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

I've written a comment for the Times article. I'm looking forward to seeing if it gets published. :-?

My basic comment was that I've just bought some cowboy boots. Now, I know they are styled for girls, but under jeans they look like any mens boot.

Walked around my local supermarket with the wife last night, wearing them out for the first time. She was amused rather than upset. [Kept looking at me and saying; "yeehaw" :silly:] I didn't mind as I'm now 'officially' allowed the rather modest 3 1/2" heels everywhere, except in front of her 'horse-riding - country dancing' sister.

I quite like these boots anyway. They were moderately expensive at circa $200 new, and I got them "used" (very very very, slightly worn), from eBay. About £17 delivered IIRC. Resssssult. :roll:

I ought to add, our very own FireFox was the (actual) inspiration for buying them. I've met him a couple of times and I know he wears them all the time. I had rather foolishly thought anything other than stiletto's for heeling, was almost 'cheating'. Older and wiser, I now realise a thicker heel is significantly more practical for anything other than office/shops/club use where surface abrasion isn't an issue. Tarmac kills heel tips in days (plastic) or weeks (metal), and paving stones/slabs are almost literally a minefield in which stiletto heels can get ruined while only walking a number of yards. [i speak from experience.]

I got lucky with the pair I bought. Fit like a glove, and I think look quite good under jeans, despite being man-ish. :o

FF,

Amen brother. You have seen the light. Heels are heels, just 'cos they aint pencil thin doesn't mean a thing, other than you can really enjoy wearing high heels without feeling everyone who sees you is laughing at you. You feel quite normal and so no-one picks up on your insecurity. I still don't understand human nature enough even after having been round the sun 51 times, but I know I do pickup on things like this.

Now another word of advice. Just because you have a nice big heel available, don't think the perils of slender heels can be forgotten. Oh no. The big heel leads you into a false sense of security and it will bite you if it can. This will happen when you dont take care where to place your feet. Pavement slabs and their cracks are the things to look out for. OK, so you dont sink in the cracks - BUT - if the crack is in the direction of your ambulation and the two surfaces are not level, you WILL turn your heel. You dont suffer this in slender heels precisely because you are trying to avoid any cracks and so only have the one level to contend with, but in wide heels, you forget this. Your happily walking along, almost forgetting your wearing heels at all and then you loose all you poise completely. For me, anything above 2" and I can and do get this problem, so be warned.

On the other hand, the big heel on a cowboy boot and the whole shape etc., means nobody gives you a second glance. I bet you'll even end up wearing them with a nice paid of Wrangler (proper cowboy jeans, not like Levis) with almost all of the heel showing. Check shirt and your disguise will be complete. Yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaa! Funny isn't it, I have the complete outfit (and 2" proper riding boots and before you ask, yes I have the spurs too, what cowboy doesn't) as I have done the cowboy thing for real. I feel fine wearing it all here at home in the UK with the exception of the hat.

My girls cowboy boots (courtesy of Evans) are a mere 3", but I wear them everywhere with slim fit mens Wranglers so the whole heel is in plain view. SO doesn't mind them either precisely because they don't fit the femenine shoe definition in her mind (although she did say she really likes them). Seems to be the same for you as well. Excellent.

Happy days. You'll be wearing them in the company of your Sisiter-in-Law before you know it.

Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

I have done the "real cowboy" thing myself (riding and taking care of horses when I was younger). When you tell someone that a pair of high heeled cowboy boots or even plain old cowboy boots are comfortable, if they haven't experienced them, they look at you funny. It is amazing at the look of cowboy boots how comfortable they are.

Heels are heels, just 'cos they aint pencil thin doesn't mean a thing, other than you can really enjoy wearing high heels without feeling everyone who sees you is laughing at you. You feel quite normal and so no-one picks up on your insecurity.

Just to confirm, I'm happy wearing heels, almost anywhere. I'm reluctant to wear stilleto's around juvenile (delinquents.....), but otherwise, I'm happy to walk out anywhere except my home town, or towns close to it. [For the moment at least.] I'm more concerned about embaressing people with me, or people around me, than getting embarressed myself. :roll:

Now, that said ...... I FULLY appreciate the balance of your post. In fact, I met a customer tonight in Oxford Street (£300 cash sale done in Starbucks at 7.30pm), wearing my 3 1/2 inch heeled Fornarina boots. That wouldn't have been possible if I were wearing more obvious HH attire. For a moment or two, the situation was quite surreal actually.....

But I've certainly seen the light .... >> Wanted <<

FF,

Amen brother. You have seen the light. Heels are heels, just 'cos they aint pencil thin doesn't mean a thing, other than you can really enjoy wearing high heels without feeling everyone who sees you is laughing at you. You feel quite normal and so no-one picks up on your insecurity. I still don't understand human nature enough even after having been round the sun 51 times, but I know I do pickup on things like this.

....snip....

Seen the light? People laughing at you? Insecurity? Where do the self imposed limitations end? When you make a decision to wear heels with confidence in the right time and place, that's it. There's no looking back.

Just because they are pencil thin, doesn't mean that you have to feel limited in that everyone who sees you is laughing at you. To me, that would be akin to letting the heels wear you, not you wearing the heels.

In my view, style is built around boundless opportunity for self expression, for attitude precedes attire, without designifying the importance of proper attire. A couple of quotes from Chanel sum this up quite well:

Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future.

Look for the woman in the dress. If there is no woman, there is no dress.

In other words, you have to wear the stilettos, not let the stilettos wear you. You already know this Thighboots2, so I'm not addressing the latter directly at you, but at other readers of this post. The reason you are so successful at wearing thicker heels in public is because your attitude about yourself precedes your attire. Your comfort leads to confidence and people sense your confidence as much as -- or even before they sense -- your outfit.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I am surely not going to let the stiletto and the socially constructed stereotypes that accompany wearing it define who I am when I wear them. I am going to wear stilettos built from a self image of boundless opportunistic self expression and kick a@s doing it too.

Just my two cents as echoed from a pit of darkness.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I used to think cowboy boots were comfortable until I walked much of downtown Berlin, from Kurfurstendamm to Brandenburg Gate, through downtown, thru Potsdamer Platz, to Museum Island and a few other museums and back in one day in boots. I didn't think the feet were going to make it back! I went and bought a pair of Nikes for the rest of the visit!

Just because they are pencil thin, doesn't mean that you have to feel limited in that everyone who sees you is laughing at you. To me, that would be akin to letting the heels wear you, not you wearing the heels.

In other words, you have to wear the stilettos, not let the stilettos wear you. You already know this Thighboots2, so I'm not addressing the latter directly at you, but at other readers of this post. The reason you are so successful at wearing thicker heels in public is because your attitude about yourself precedes your attire. Your comfort leads to confidence and people sense your confidence as much as -- or even before they sense -- your outfit.

Amen. :roll: