Psychology and Shoes - the darker reasons behind it

Laurieheels

Come now, everyone. It is not okay to hide some of the real reasons you like what you wear. And what is the desire to have something you feel is forbidden become more mainstream? I feel that forbidden things are more exciting and more rewarding. Be naughty! Now then. My vast interest in people has a need to find out the psychology behind things. So what is it that makes you tick? Reach deep inside and bring the hidden reason. Do some of the men like wearing heels because deep down they wish to be feminine and soft? Do some of the women get a little more turned on by the shoes they wear but are too afraid to admit it? What are your deep dark reasons for wearing high heels? Post now! Operators are standing by. Laurie

Hey Laurie: Come on Firefox asked this in much straighter format "Why do you wear heels?" Mini Survey" Anyhow as we all know HH have a certain mystic, at one end is the height walk and femininity stuff, at the other end is the sex stuff even to trying to give us ladies some male powers, oh that reference to phallic symbols. Actually I lean a bit toward the height walk and femininity end. Inga :smile: <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IHeels on 2002-01-27 06:55 ]</font>

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

His survey is good, but I don't think people really admit that there are other reasons. So I am asking this here. I am looking for those little quirks. I expect some anonymous posts, of course. I know some people have not said everything they could have. So I am trying to encourage more discussion on those more mysterious reasons.

Simple: 1. I feel elegant, sexy and glamorous. 2. I love the feeling of being a bit restricted by my clothing. Makes me more consious of my body and its movements. 3. I want to fight the social genders and the way they opress us. 4. It's a bit exciting to do something 'forbidden'. But those feelings were more prominent when I first started out.

Everybody has 'deep and dark' reasons for everything in life and for some those reasons should stay hidden. As for 'forbidden', did you not take into account that heels were originally designed for men and women alike. So your case of them being gender specific would seem to lose some of it's validity. I wear heels on a daily basis for practical reasons. If my mood is light hearted and jovial I will wear my 4" boots, otherwise it's the standard 3" for daily use. I still wear flat shoes on occasion when the situation dictates. So, for me, there is no hidden deep, dark reason for wearing heels. I suppose for some there may be the sexual excitement that was experienced in their earlier years when bringing their interest to the fore. Indeed, women even experience the same 'rush' when first trying heels and it's not age specific either. I had 3 teenage girls literally drooling over my footwear collection and they couldn't wait to try them all on. One of them wanted to see me walk in my thigh highs with 6" heel (no plat) but because I didn't take a pair of shorts with me, I declined. This point was soon rectified when the eldest ran upstairs and grabbed a skirt for me to wear instead. Sexual excitement does play a part in everybody's development and heels are another stage of this ongoing process. Trends are changing and having a hidden agenda for doing something deemed forbidden is losing the shock factor that it once had making it easier for things like men wearing heels to become easier for the masses. All trends start off small and then become mainstream. Take a completely unrelated passtime such as bungee jumping. How long ago was it that people started to engage in this dangerous activity? Now look at it, people don't see it as strange that others attached a giant elastic band to their bodies and then hurl themselves of a high platform to what would most likely be their death if it weren't for this device attached. Do they have a deep, dark reason for doing it? Or maybe they just wanted to. I'm lecturing now, aren't I? I best stop now before I end up writing a whole book on the subject :smile:

Hidden reason? Why yes and here it is --. Heels are the best fat substitute I have ever found! From my experience an inch of heel is worth 15 to 20 pounds of fat. This works both ways so be where. Caution! get thin before you start heeling, then never stop.

Laurie, your announcement in the other forum that you are starting training with the goal of being able to wear 6" and 7" heels attracted quite a response. So now I guess "the shoe is on the other foot" concerning your inquiry into the darker reasons why people wear heels. As someone who has and will continue to wish you the best of luck in your endeavor, I still have to ask: What forces are driving you to do this?

On 2002-02-06 08:08, Stu wrote:

Laurie, your announcement in the other forum that you are starting training with the goal of being able to wear 6" and 7" heels attracted quite a response. So now I guess "the shoe is on the other foot" concerning your inquiry into the darker reasons why people wear heels. As someone who has and will continue to wish you the best of luck in your endeavor, I still have to ask: What forces are driving you to do this?

None of them are dark and mysterious. That's a shame sometimes. I like the way I feel when I walk in heels, I think they make me look more interesting, the shoes are sexy so I guess I feel sexy, and they make a delightful sound that I know causes people to take notice. I'll never make a good government spy now, I make so much noise when I walk. I think the benefits of wearing high heels certainly makes up for that.

I feel that I look better in heels than in flats, as well. My body has a better shape for it. Those small changes make a difference, you know... So look good, feel good, it's about that.

And those are perfectly good reasons. Women in heels add needed spice and pizzazz to the office workday. As it is, there are far too few who wear them confidently and in style. I still wonder if there are subtle little advantages to those who wear them. It's not that any reputable firm is going to promote a woman simply because she wears heels, but the big bosses may be more likely to remember the occasional conversation with her and may therefore may notice her work product that much more. Or, like Inga says, people are apt to hear her when she comes around, and that alone gives her a higher profile in the office. Who really knows?

I'd say you're looking at it more from the point of view of someon who likes heels Stu. There are plenty of women and men managers who regard too high heels in the same way as exposed flesh; tarty and unprofessional. However, I have to say my own personal opinion is in your camp.

I suppose working for a gov't body I don't have that problem as there is a very strong access and equity policy in place, people are selected on merit. ie what you write down in your CV and how well you can chat (waffle on, trick people into thinking you're better than you are B) ) about about things in an interview. It might happen in places where the selection of people is less regulated. I admit I dress in a fairly formal manner (always in HH) at the workplace but quite casually once away. I think you'll find the same applies to many of the posters here. Inga :smile: <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IHeels on 2002-02-08 03:46 ]</font>

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

• 3 weeks later...

I am attracted to heels i think because of the fact that im not supposed to. naturally if someone tells me i shouldnt do something, the first thing i do is go right ahead and do it...they also feel and look really good...as a long time skateboarder / snowboarder...i always wear wide skateboarding shoes with superflat (cannot have any heel at all) bottoms, and i find them really bland and plain...but i gotta wear them...this is a change, and i think they improve my posture (ive had back / spine problems from skateboarding / trampoline in the past) and they also look really really good as well!

Terayon has incidcated something I suspect, the sense of forbidden. See? He has it right. I think some of the appeal is about it being different and wrong and bad. It shuld not be done, and historically, everything that should not be done has been a lot of fun. Just look at Medieval Church opression in Europe. Do not do this, do not do that. It is Christmas, so do not celebrate, be humble and pray. Oh sure, everyone brought gifts for Jesus and it was a grand old time, it's written in this precious Bible, but now everyone must deprive themselves of anything fun because religion is serious. As a result, everyone ended up partying that much more, because they were told not to. It was bad. And why was it bad? It must be fun! I think people have a predispoistion towards having fun and thinking that anything bad must have a factor of enjoyment.

I think the fun of the forbidden has a lot of sense to it Heels on men are forbidden by society, as are skirts, so when I wear heels out in public I feel good, same to when I wore my wrap skirt out in public, it was a windy day blowing my skirt open occasionaly revealing my legs (high leg boots, black tights and all!) I felt quite self concious about it but deep down there was that certain satisfying thrill, as a result i've wondered if thats why many girls like wearing similar clothing?

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

Wearing a skirt on a windy day has a different reward that you may think. We're not looking to be noticed. I know for me, it feels good. I will often make mention of this with a line from the Simpsons, where the characters of Patti and Selma are caught in a tornado, and one says "I can feel it all the way up my skirt" So that's my cue that it's nice, and my sisters often give me that look or comment because they know exactly why I am saying it. It feels nice to have a cool breeze tickle one's fancy. I hope I used that the right way. Oh well. This is a shoe forum, enough about skirts and the breeze.

I know but I thought it would add an interesting complexion to the question of the darker reasons behind the clothes we wear :smile:

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

Bob, the darker reasons behind the clothes - either brazen indivduality, OR seduction. Yes, I can dress nice for all of these reasons, but deep down, I think it would be nice if my dedication to heels landed me some interest. Terayon - Wiggum was right, and the show does rule. Don't snap my undies.

I've read a lot of your post laurie (liked diary #3 on jenny's board, you sound very dedicated to heels) and found them all very interesting :smile: If only everybody was as dedicated to individuality as you are! <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bob on 2002-02-25 00:04 ]</font>

Well Bob, I thank you for your kind words. It would be nice to have a few hundred dollars and maybe a credit card to use every month. My collection is small and I wear the same three or pairs all of the time. Being dedicated to something I cannot afford to expand is quite dreadful. I would like to move up to five inch heels for work in March, but I may not be able to afford new shoes until mid April. This in itself is depressing for me. So eager to move forward, and no way to do it. Life is too freaking expensive sometimes. EVen what I save up and budget ends up going to some emergency or another. Still, I will wear every pair of high heeled shoes I have until they fall off my feet in pieces. Now that would be a video I could sell. Thanks again, and thanks for listening through my little rant. It's as long as it is because I promised to post 20 today, and this will make 18! Muhahahaha!

Laurie, while I absolutely love the thought of you in heels (though personally I think that 4" is more than enough), I hope you do at least give some consideration to your feet. You may have noticed my post regarding my 49 year old wife who can't wear heels at all anymore. While some of her problems are primarily genetic (bunions and arthritis), things like Morton's Nueroma are a direct result of toes being scrunched forward in the shoe with downward pressure from the height of the heel. I like nothing more than a pretty woman in a pair of nice spike heels, absolutely nothing finer. But give your feet a break now and then, and wear some low heels when you're going to be on your feet alot. That way, you'll be able to continue to wear high heels (and excite all of us guys) for a long time.

I thought your foot was not to slide to the front so you toes would get badly squished? Sounds like a fitting issue? As for the constant weight on the ball of the foot? I haven't got an idea on that one. Any comments on this, any one? <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-02-26 01:56 ]</font>

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Ooo, more things to make me reply! How wonderful. Ron, thank you for the concern. I am well aware of the drawbacks, and it is because people like you care enough to post messages about the potential problems. I know that a higher heels and pointier toe means a larger size. This eliminates the toe crushing effects as the toes do not go into the very narrow point of the toe box. The idea behind the training is to find a safe way to the higher heels without pushing. I admit, I do push sometimes, but I am learning, and I have a good trainer in many ways with regards to saftey and proper progress. Hoverfly! Well, as for the ball of the foot, a cushioned pad for an insole could help. They make some that are partial insoles for the actual ball of the foot. I have also seen magnetic insoles, but whether or not they work to keep circulation flowing is beyond me. I thik they will just set off more metal detectors. Still, there are options for padding a shoe, provided the shoe is not a snug fit.

About those magnetic inserts.. You better hope that the person who is waving the wand is not a high heel admirer. Or you just might end up being checked out for some time. :smile:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Trolldeg wrote: "3. I want to fight the social genders and the way they opress us." Oh, get over it will you? Are you really expecting to teeter into every job you'll ever have in women's shoes and NOT have problems keeping that job? And, is it your employer's fault for "oppressing" you? I think not. I can't eat another human being, even if I'm curious. There is no law where I live that explicity forbids consuming human flesh, it is just an accepted and valid norm. Am I going to cry "oppression" because I cannot eat anything I choose? No. Quit your whining. Wear your heels in the privacy of your own house and thank the Brits, Russians, and Yanks that you can at least do that, as I'm fairly certain Hitler would have killed men in heels as he did homosexuals. I know the difference between homosexuals and men who want to wear heels. But, most people don't. And most people don't want to. Live with it and be happy for what you have.