A day out ....

fastfreddy2

Some background .....

While shopping during the 'post Christmas' sales with my wife, I saw some stretch over the knee boots with a decent looking heel. I bought a pair, and they fitted really well. I'd tried them on a short walks [50 yards] but no length of time really. On January 4th, I wore them all day. I work from home, and there wasn't much daylight that day, so I wasn't a 'heel hero' like some here, but mindful I hadn't worn heels for over 20 years it was a giant leap for me. I called it 'mad Friday' and my wife indulged me. [bless her.]

I've since met up with some of the chaps here, and a lot of the oddness I felt about my desire has been removed. It still makes me feel different, but it's not as stressful as it was.

My current foot fodder is typically 4" high, and I get plenty of walking practice.

I cut a deal with my wife, where I took her to the Tutankhamun Exhibition in London, and I got to wear my discreet wedges. She was fully aware she was getting the better end of the deal. (I really didn't want to go.) Other than us both having a great time out, the day was otherwise uneventful.

This weekend gone ....

Last Friday I had decided to have another 'mad Friday'. More light, more risk, but I wasn't seen by my neighbours when leaving or coming back to the house.

Saturday, the day out .....

The following day I went to London during the day. I wore my loose-fit jeans, and a black baggy top. I also had a long dress mac, and black scarf. It was quite a cold day, and windy. I wore my Nine West wedges. I went with a friend who some here met on the 14th of Feb.

I don't travel from my local rail station usually, but drive to Cockfosters [£1 parking all day on Saturday] and get a £7 railcard that takes me all around London via train or bus. We had considered getting a Geenline Bus that takes us direct to Oxford Street, but these only come back once an hour, where the Underground trains leave the West End every 3-5 minutes.

As is my way, I got us started late. Cockfosters is close to their 'home ground' location for several East and North London football clubs. I'd hoped to get us travelling before any of their supporters were about, but I missed my ideal time by more than an hour. We had to queue for tickets in the station with Arsenal and Villa men/women supporters. I walked away from them, with that 'heeled' walk that's a sure "tell" if you are plugged into it.

On the train, we sat somewhere quiet and empty. Seconds later, two large Villa supporters sat almost opposite us. Because my legs were bent, my wedges were on show. It wasn't long before the chap opposite clocked them, and give his mate two seats away a nudge in my direction. It took my companion a couple of minutes to realise they'd seen my boots, and once she had it seemd like she didn't want to stop looking at the two fellas. [in hindsight, I suppose she was waiting for something unpleasant to happen.]

Knowing she was a bit fearful, I kept a conversation going, and heels weren't mentioned. The train filled up some more. Again, people noticed. I had expected this, it was the two 6ft+ 16 stone football supporters that had me concerned.

Several stations later, they both left without a word spoken. :wave:

I'm moderately convinced my companion was responsible for them keeping quiet. Us men don't like to embarrass other accompanied men, as it's a sure way to get an 'altercation' started normally. I might be wearing heels, but social compliance keeps me a little safer from unwanted comments if I have someone with me.

The rest of the journey was uneventful, and it included a long walk through the station at Holborn. We arrived at Marble Arch, not too much later.

Into Primark. My friend wanted some tops, and I dutifully followed her all around the store, which seemed to me to be a glorified jumble sale. I buy from Primark too, but the flagship Oxford Street shop was crammed with busy shoppers, shopping. The queues were unbelivable. When she had paid, I had to walk by the counter where 10 tills were in use along open space in front of perhaps 100 women waiting to pay for their purchases....

To New Look and Faith for shoes. [None tried.]

By now my feet were tired. I'd done a real stupid thing keeping heels on all day yesterday [7.30am to past midnight] and the ball of my left foot kept reminding me.

In Marks for a coffee. My knees were bent, so wedges were on show. 'Nothing'. After the potential for adverse comments in the train, sitting down in a cafe with 40 pensioners was welcome relief.

We went upstairs shopping for my friend, who was looking for some 'dressy' trousers. None were found. We stopped briefly at the shoes, and I grabbed a rather well made court [£45] with lots of padding in the right places. A size 8 was too large, and there wasn't any 7's. My friend stood in front of me (bless her) though I didn't ask her to. Again, uneventful.

P.S.

Uneventful, but nearly brushed shoulders with an R'n'B celebrity called Ms Dynamite as she walked in and we walked out. [Link is not Office Safe.]

We went into a number of the larger stores, the only one of note being Debenhams. Sadly, my feet were uncomfortable and because I had to do some work for a friend Saturday evening, the day was shorter than planned/expected. I did the (shoe) sales rails and found a size 8 ankle boot that looked attractive and had a decent heel on it. I tried it on, with my friend trying to hide me again, but it was a tad large. I just couldn't make up my mind. [i've got a couple of pairs of boots off eBay that don't fit that well, and don't need another. Especially not at £37.] We went elsewhere for another coffee.

We spent the next hour walking the length of Oxford Street visiting shops until we reached Charing Cross road. Aldo got a visit, and they have some £50 wedge mules to die for. Another day I would have tried some on, but these need bare feet, which I didn't have. That and the place was packed, mostly with bored men sitting on the seating provided.

We walked down Charing Cross road to where the shoe shop was I had mentioned to 'pumps' during his visit here in February. No wonder he "missed it", the shop now sells bags only. :cool1:

Finally to a coffee shop opposite Leicester Square station. We had another coffee, [£4-70 for 2 cups] before the return journey. We sat outside, me with my legs bent, boots on display. Hundreds of people walked past, not a single person was seen to notice my footwear.

On the train, I stood up all the way back to Cockfosters. Not because I was concerned like before as the day had been uneventful after all, but because there were 3 groups of children in the carriage and I wanted to spare their parents awkward questions. Two of the groups, both right next to me, stayed on the train until we got to Cockfosters.

We walked through the crowded station around 6.30pm the up to the car park, as far as I could tell, unnoticed.

Epilogue........

The day, apart from my aching feet, was uneventful. [My feet would ache in flat shoes too, by the way.] And as it was a success with me wearing my silent 4" wedges, I'm tempted to do the same trip in stiletto's.

What do you think? ;)

I don't think you will have any more of a problem in stilettos than wedges. If your a little nervous about stilettos, wear a stack heel first and kinda work your way up. Great story BTW.

real men wear heels

I think if you are heeling out with a member of the opposite sex, then it 'legitimises' it in other people's minds. I envy you having an accepting wife. Go for the stilettoes!

Glad you had a good time. I have a fairly new pair of jeans that I went to wear recently and found that they were about 2 inches too long. I have no clue why I have them and didn't want to wear them cuffed up and looking dorky. The light bulb finally went on and I realized I could wear them, I just needed more heel. I zipped on a pair of block heel boots with a 2 or 2.5 inch heel and the hem of the jeans barely cleared the ground. So I have been out a few times in this combo. Sat morning it was off to a sale to get a new appliance for the wife, and then to the hardware store. If anyone looked twice, I didn't see it. I doubt if anyone noticed. I don't know that I'm up to wearing them all day, but they were comfortable, and it was fun to wear them out. Hmm, I may wear them next time I have to travel.

Good for you fastfreddy, sounds like a great time. I reckon I'm overdue another walk down Oxford Street in stilettoes!!!! This Sunday sounds good to me ;)

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

You'll find rubberised wedges a lot more comfortable than stilettos as the absord the shock much better. It is a great moral support having your partner walk out with you and it always makes me feel much closer to "her" when we do.

So what's all the fuss about?

Ah, oxford street in London, how I would love to be there and join you. It would be fun..... ;)

cosair - keep having fun..... :cool1:

You can join us all on Oxford Street at next years 4th Annual World Heel Meet in London....stay tuned to "real life meetings" for soon to be released dates/details.

david & cathy

"Dress For Your Own Pleasure"

• 4 weeks later...