Questions about men in heels

billyb

Hi Everyone I am hoping to start a discussion as to where men wearing heels is going. Both men and women are encouraged to answer the questions. A couple of the questions I am asking is because I do not know the answer and want to learn more, the last few questions I have a opinion but will wait to see the responses before adding my two cents worth.

• The international heel meet is this a meet primarily for members of this great group or is it a meet advertised to all into wearing heels? What was the number of attendees last year? And how many are expected this year?
  • This next group of questions is aimed at men who want to wear heels but still dress in normal male apparel. Where is this trend at; are we just a few who have decided to break the norm and go with what we like, or is this trend growing and gaining acceptance both among people and the fashion industry. If the trend is growing is it a fad or do you believe that some day men will wear heels as a part of everyday dress?
  • If the fashion and footwear industries actually pushed this trend what type of high heel shoe do men want marketed to them. Example if Florsheim Shoes took their current line of shoes and offered the line with regular heels or high heels say 2” to 4” would you be interested? Or do you want the footwear companies to make the women’s lines available in men’s sizes.
  • The last question is if high heel fashion for men became the “NORM” would you still want to wear heels. If so why and if not why.
I know this opens up the whole freestyle fashion area but I hope we stay on topic to shoes.

Thanks everyone. :santa_hat:

I'm no expert, but here's my thoughts: 1: Didnt go, can't answer (no help, sorry) 2: Most fashion shifts like this seem to be fads, such as glam-rock bands wearing heels on stage.. 3:I'd definatly wear any 'mens heels' if I liked the overall shoe style, I wouldnt spend my money on a pair 'just because'. 4:Yes! Although, I might keep the non-practical heels (5"-ballet) for wearing around the house.

(formerly known as "JimC")

The international heel meet is this a meet primarily for members of this great group or is it a meet advertised to all into wearing heels? What was the number of attendees last year? And how many are expected this year?

It's for all and sundry. Obviously, the preferred attendee is a guy with a strong heel-wearing interest. We don't want it usurped by dozens of stiletto-wearing girlies (they can wear their shoes 365 days of the year!)

For data on last years' Meet, check out these threads:-

http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/real_life_meetings/6139-world_heel_meet_2007_london_sat_march_10th.html?highlight=2007

http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/real_life_meetings/7796-world_heel_meet_2007_testimonials.html?highlight=2007

This next group of questions is aimed at men who want to wear heels but still dress in normal male apparel. Where is this trend at; are we just a few who have decided to break the norm and go with what we like, or is this trend growing and gaining acceptance both among people and the fashion industry. If the trend is growing is it a fad or do you believe that some day men will wear heels as a part of everyday dress?

Impossible to say. I personally think we are an elite group. There are probably fewer heel-wearing, non-TV/CD/TS men in the world than there are albino polar bears.

I still don't see any guys on the street in heels - even modest 1 to 2" ones. It's still very much in the closet and I can't see that changing anytime soon, if ever.

If the fashion and footwear industries actually pushed this trend what type of high heel shoe do men want marketed to them. Example if Florsheim Shoes took their current line of shoes and offered the line with regular heels or high heels say 2” to 4” would you be interested? Or do you want the footwear companies to make the women’s lines available in men’s sizes.

Always High-Heel Responsibly

• The international heel meet is this a meet primarily for members of this great group or is it a meet advertised to all into wearing heels? What was the number of attendees last year? And how many are expected this year?
I would answer this but to be honest I do not know.

• This next group of questions is aimed at men who want to wear heels but still dress in normal male apparel. Where is this trend at; are we just a few who have decided to break the norm and go with what we like, or is this trend growing and gaining acceptance both among people and the fashion industry. If the trend is growing is it a fad or do you believe that some day men will wear heels as a part of everyday dress?
There has been a rise in this trend over the past year or so and going by our sales, we also see this rise. There has also been a few fashion desingers that have stepped up and started designing heels for men. One of the more pronounced designers doing this is Rui Leonardes.

• If the fashion and footwear industries actually pushed this trend what type of high heel shoe do men want marketed to them. Example if Florsheim Shoes took their current line of shoes and offered the line with regular heels or high heels say 2” to 4” would you be interested? Or do you want the footwear companies to make the women’s lines available in men’s sizes.
This is a really hard question for me to answer but again going by our sales and talking to our clients the men wishing to wear them are ranging from wearing from a 2" heel to a 5" platform. And men wearing ballets has become common as well. As far as the second part to your question. We have talked to many manufactures as to why they do not make a womans shoe on a mens last. We were also thinking about starting our own line just for men. But we found that most manufacturers can not do this due to the fact they do not make the heel part of the shoe but actually buy them. And with the cut of a womans foot being different, the heel would not work on a mans last. We did find however one manufacturer here in the USA that was able to make any womans single sole shoe on a mens last. The the cost of what we would have to sell this shoe for would be $150-$300 USD and the market just does not support this as of yet.

• The last question is if high heel fashion for men became the “NORM” would you still want to wear heels. If so why and if not why.
Yes I would but I cannot speak for everyone. I do not see what the deal is. Alot of the men I have spoken to are straight as an arrow, most of them married with kids, and like to wear heels because they like the look and feel of them. Also men want to be able to accessorize. What choices do men have now?

Like JimC, I can only give thoughts and opinions. 1.) The international heel meets are for any one, who wants to hang with others too share their common desire to wear high heels. Although this forum is mostly populated by men interested in wearing high heels, women with the same desire are also incouraged to participate. So, also, is the heel meet's aim to involve not only the forum membership, but also their spouses, relatives, and friends, as much as possible. The number of attendees grows each year, but you'll have to look at the thread covering this subject to have a better understanding about expectations. 2.) There are so many diversified ideas about which type of heels each person desires to wear, this question is a hard one to answer. Due to your wording, I will assume you mean high heels that were made with women in mind, although there are still some high heels that are made with men in mind. It is hard to say how many men are high heelers, for many are still living in secret. Those of us who are trying to break the fashion mold, so to speak, are but a small number in comparison. However, this small number does not consider this a fad, because we will continue to wear our choice of footwear whether it catches on in the fashion world, or it only continues to linger as a possible attire choice. Every male high heeler wants this to become the norm, but apparently, most of us want others to pave the way, because of our social fears and circumstances. Where's our Ghandi, our Rev. King, our Mendela, our Wort (King Arthur)? Well, they're in all of us. 3.) The footwear industry would have to make some adjustments, but men want the same range of choices, women have now. The exact designs and and brands will be determined by the demand. Some styles of heels made for women are already labelled for menswear. Many males prefer the fit of their high heels to continue to be styled as footwear made for women, because their male feet are not that different and fit very nicely into the heels made for women. Instead of the sizing system we have now, it would probably be a good idea to synchronize the international sizing measurements so that men and women would be able to know what their size is in any global market. 4.) This push for male high heeling is the result of being denied our personal rights to choose for ourselves the attire we want to wear. Even though women have enjoyed the wearing of high heels, not all of them have a pair in their closet nor do some women want any. This will become the same deal for men, they can have and wear high heels, if they choose to do so. For myself, I would wear high heels for every occasion I deemed fitting. That doesn't mean flats, athletic foot gear, and etc. will never don my feet, but it will depend on the activity I plan to be a part of.

1: Can't make it

2: We are pioneers going against what society deems correct.

3:I would generally prefer to wear a men's high heel even if the style was not quite as nice as a lower heel.

4:I would mostly wear heels, work and otherwise.

It's all about the heel!

Heel meet: Can't comment as living in the middle of the US it makes it difficult to go.

As to the next group of questions: We are travlers in a strange and sometimes dangerous land. I do believe we are not as alone as we think, based on the responses I have recieved at my local Payless. However, I think too many sit in the closet and are afraid to come into the light of day. You do occasionally see heels (hose, skirts, etc.) put out by the major design houses for men but they never put signifacant marketing behind them. If they got major celebraties (Sports and mass media) to wear them on a regular basis maybe things would change. Part of that problem is though that many sport celebraties are severly homophobic from what I've seen.

As far as everyday dress we can only hope/pray for acceptance.

Fashion and footwear industries: If they were designed by a reputable designer I might consider them, though I prefer the womens styles myself. I could see the footwear industry just adding heels to boring mens shoes then after lack luster sales pulling them from the market. Face it if you go to the mens shoe department there are only half a dozen styles at most. Personally I wish the just made ALL womens shoes in wide widths. So far Payless is one of the few places I can find a womens 12W US and they are stocking them on the rack more and more often there as well.

If heels became the norm: Yes I would continue to wear them but, it would be womens styles as that is what attracts me. I have always admired womens shoes and never understood why I couldn't wear the same, after all feet are feet aren't they? Now I do own womens, shoes sixteen pairs at count this morning compared to three pair of men's shoes (counting my work boots) and I wear them wherever prudance allows.

T&H

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

First off thanks to everyones input so far. Now for my two cents worth. I have always admired womens shoes and wanted to try wearing them. It has just been recently that I finally decided to start wearing heels. My hope is that society and the fashion industry will allow people to dress as they want. That being said I will continue to wear heels regardless, as far as mens shoes getting heels that would be great but I love the womens lines the fit and feel is so much better than mens shoes. I only own one pair of shoes and that is a pair of athletic shoes the rest are boots and heels. I am a heeler for life!

It's a meet advertised for all into wearing heels. Mostly guys who wear heels come, but there were about 3 or 4 women last year too. I think last year there were about 28 people, and this year there will be 40-50

It's a trend for a few who break the norm, but since the 1970's there has been greater and greater acceptance that it is a fashion alternative. It will definitely become more popular but never mainstream in the same way that men wearing earrings is not mainstream.

Having lost trousers to the women and long hair/jewelery to the men, there is tremendous resistance in society to retain at least a couple of things that are more or less exclusive to one sex or the other. Heels and skirts for women and closely cropped hair and ties for men are the last bastions of the battleground for those who want to retain some elements of differentiation in dress. If this differentiation goes completely, many people, mostly men, fear the breakdown of society with its inbuilt male dominance. In the same way there is resistance against gay people, TV's, and pushy executive high-flying women.

I'd be interested in anything that I liked the look of. It might be a style designed for men or a style designed for women. I tend to wear thicker heels and cowboy boots anyway because they suit me. Some guys who wear heels hanker after the women's styles because they think of themselves partly as women. In fact they are probably transgendered, so they feel better with women's styles just because they have been "designed" for women. It's all down to personal choice, so I don't care if they produce women's styles in larger sizes or styles marketed at men. If I like it, I'll buy it.

Yes, some of the time, like I do now. I don't wear them necessarily to shock but for a fashion alternative, and a bit of extra height too (I'm 1.73m without). Although it is interesting sometimes to get looks and play with people's minds a little, it's not my prime reason fro wearing them.

I'm not sure if you ever heard of this before, but since you just started wearing heels this would give you a chance to go out and wear them in public with no one caring. Do a Google search for " Walk a mile in her shoes ". Find when a march is coming to an area close to you and go. It will give you a chance to wear them out and it is for a good cause.