Attitude about heels: put up with or wear with pleasure? duh

onyourtoes

In the FAQ at Dale Miller's web site he says about wearing high heels:

As anyone who has worn them can testify, heels are not as comfortable as flats. But, I like the look, so I put up with them. I suspect that many women who wear heels feel the same way.

While I know that's true for so many women, some men too :smile: , I imagine for the majority of us here on the forum it would be more accurate to say:

As anyone who has worn them can testify, heels give me both a physical and mental lift. I can look down on people who are shorter versions of my same height, who are clumping along in their dingy sneakers while I energetically stride, happily down the street! Feet tired? Sore? Not likely, 'cause I got to wear HEELS today!

I don't "put up" with anything, so I go with the second quote. I got to wear heels today. It's like a wonderful day for that very reason. Whatever else happens and whatever other moods I felt, I can look down at my feet and see a pair of wonderful shoes that I know how to wear. For that brief moment, before I turn back to the rest of the world, I feel happy about myself, my choice, and my life. All from a pair of shoes.

The second quote definiely sounds much closer to my feelings. The first one doesn't even come close because I feel more comfortable after a day in heels as after a few hours in flats. I also like the way Lauri wrote it down. It is increadible how poetic people can word their reflections about heel addiction.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Definately the second one! I wear heels because I want to and I feel better, not to look better. As for putting up with pain! What pain? That only happens if you are trying to push yourself too much!! Go with what you're comfortable in and life is great!

So you get sore feet sometimes. You can get sore feet from walking in flats. The important thing is not to push yourself. If your feet hurt continually you will end up a cripple in no time, so give them a break and wear something comfortable. Actually some pairs of heels I have are more comfortable than flats, for me anyway. It all depends where you are going and what you're doing.

I also like the way Lauri wrote it down. It is increadible how poetic people can word their reflections about heel addiction.

Thank you, Highluc, I appreciate that. :smile: I am starting to refer to myself as a writer these days. I should add aspiring to that, probably. But since it is what I do best, apart from walking in heels, I am starting to like the image the title brings. :grin:

I also wear heels to both look better AND feel better! It's rather hard to describe the feeling of, well, empowerment when I'm at the office in a well fitting pair of three or four inchers. I walk with a confident stride, like I'm in charge of the place. When people see me, they don't see a nutcase, they see someone who's secure about himself and who he is that he can wear what makes HIM feel good, not what makes society feel good. And that's the emotional power wearing heels gives me! :-D

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Yup, put me down under 'enthusiastically wear whenever I can'. I wouldn't say I'm down after a day in flats, but that's only because I'm not lucky enough to spend most of my time in heels. But I felt good after two whole days in heels last weekend, and let down when I had to change back into trainers to go home. In fact, when I got home, walking in trainers felt rather odd. The worst time I've had was the Beer Festival, where I had rather sore feet. But my friend who wore his Doc Martens also had sore feet, so I think that's fair enough.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"