Yahoo regards posting notifications as spam

BEWARE. I have received several of those long emails at both of my web based addresses, speaking with a friend who is in the know with computers he said they would have been viruses, but were unable to be opened through the web based free email service I use. Apparently programs like Outlook are vulnerable to this sort of attack, just as well I don't give out my ISP based email address.

I suspect it is the KLEEZ-E worm--I keep getting messages, which I don't open, with near pseudonyms from, supposedly, some members of this board--"firefoxheels", postcode, jeff, and a few others. Reason I suspect them is that they are all somewhere between 127K and 134K, and have enticing subjects. If they are for real(!), send me something in the 5-15K region of length. The worm is known to take familiar, weighted-by-use random names and then add random subjects of a list of ~30, and send it as an e-mail from an infected host. The total length is supposed to be around 120+K in length. According to the Kaspersky anti-virus web site, anyway... :smile:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

the most common one being sent around at the moment is the KLEEZ-H. I get this sent to me about 3 times a week, which is rather annoying that someone out there has nothing to do with their time and computer than to waste others time with a virus.

Most antivirus programs will detect, but not all will clean the infection. Simplest way to deal with it in the first place is not open the attachment, whether you know the person or not. If it doesn't come as a picture format file, then delete it. Certainly, no-one from this forum will send you a program or other executable file.

If in doubt, chuck it out!

You can get a free virus scan of your system.

Go to www.housecall.nl

If you are not sure if your virus scanner is working right you can scan your pc online. I think it worked pretty fine. Some times if I wonder if my Norman antivirus scan is working properly I scan via the Internet to be sure

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I was alone when I recieved these large sized emails in my bulk mail folder. I had the same thing happen to me that happened to Azraelle, I recieved mail from somebody using the names of 'firefoxheels' and 'yamyam' with a 120-150 kb size of the email. I think someone is/was trying to create chaos in our little community. So if somebody wants a reason why the administrators are cracking down on guests who do not register, here is one example. Dan

I think someone has harvested the board for email messages. Of course I'd never spam anyone, but I've had several spam messages myself, and several bounce notifications too. So, I may end up throwing away this Hotmail account and signing up another one soonish.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Some creep is trying to mess with the yahoo mailing lists and others. But what does it matter, I always have my personal accounts hidden. I'll leave my yahoo going for now, so people can still e-mail me. But I wonder who would be so foolish as to steal out addresses from the site and do something with them... Does the person get paiud by the address? 10 cents each?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all, I post photos on a site along with about 500 other girls. We all have email addresses on there. I get emails from the other girls everyday with a virus attached (it's usually an empty message with an attachment). I used to write them back and tell them that there was nothing on this message. They would write me and say they never sent the message. Essentially what I am trying to say is that it isn't just happening in this community. I happens anywhere you put an email address on the World Wide Web. It's just some hackers trying wreck a little havoc on the internet world. Best advice if you receive an email with a crazy subject and an attachment is to delete it right away. Also make sure you have a good virus scanner in place. XO Babe in Heels

>> the most common one being sent around at the moment is the KLEEZ-H. I get this sent to me about 3 times a week, which is rather annoying that someone out there has nothing to do with their time and computer than to waste others time with a virus. <<

Hmm, KLEZ-H comes from someone, without them knowing they sent it. The From address it puts in the message is not that of the person sending it, but is in fact taken from that persons address book or other messages stored in Outlook. The message with virus is sent on to other prople in the address book.

So, the virus often appears to come from someone you know, but in reality i was not them that sent it. It comes from someone that they know.

Yeah, the attached file always has an incorrect MIME type declared, and a wierd name.