Eurovision Song Contest 2007

Heelfan

Last night's British TV programme was to choose the British contestant. All of the other European nations have already chosen their contestants, and apparently TWO nations (Denmark is one) will be entering cross-dressed guys in high heels to sing their songs! Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Last night's British TV programme was to choose the British contestant. All of the other European nations have already chosen their contestants, and apparently TWO nations (Denmark is one) will be entering cross-dressed guys in high heels to sing their songs!

And the swedish song is preformed by a somewhat androgynous singer called Ola Salo and the group "The Ark". Both 2005 and 2007 we've had the drag group "After Dark" in the competition but they have not won it. (One of the leading guys runs a country style cafe close to my hometown every summer.)

PS

Check out the singers name, do you find anything special about it? I'll give you some hours and then I'll come back with the answer. Something to use your brain for this rainy sunday.

PS

Check out the singers name, do you find anything special about it? I'll give you some hours and then I'll come back with the answer. Something to use your brain for this rainy sunday.

Ola Salo, when spelt backwards, is "Ola Salo" ! It's a palindrome.

Is that it?

p.s it's not raining here - it's glorious spring sunshine ;)

Always High-Heel Responsibly

Ola Salo, when spelt backwards, is "Ola Salo" ! It's a palindrome.

Is that it?

p.s it's not raining here - it's glorious spring sunshine ;)

Yeap, you're right. His family name was different before (Larsson or Nilsson or something like that) but he changed for this, which today is his real name.

Enjoy your weather. Here the sun actually starts getting through the clouds now.

nerdy fact for you, Russell from SCOOCH (The British entry) - Last year he took part in a channel 4 reality show he and two other guys formed a GIRL band and then had to hoodwink a live audience. This was more CD based but he did wear heels...

• 1 month later...

Danmark gogogogogogo :smile:

YES! The semifinal (25 countries) was on Thursday, and Denmark's heel-wearing male singer was great! He appeared as "DQ", an ultra glitzy drag singer - very glamorous in a stunning dress and sparkling red stiletto court shoes. I'm not sure if he was chosen for tonights's final because I didn't wait up through the voting lull to hear the results.

To balance him, one of the new East-European member countries was represented by a small, young girl dressed up in lesbian mode - short black hair, black suite and the dreaded flat shoes making her look like a drab office boy.

On a more lively note, quite a few of the male-mode male entertafrom various countries were wearing chunky heels of higher than normal height -2" plus (side singers and dancers and a few of the main singers) and the singer representing Portugal sang in 3" Spanish-style heels.

Some of the lady singers wore some great high stilettos.

All in all, a great evening of heels on television!

Look in at the final tonight (UK TV BBC 1 at 8 pm, and to be shown in many, many other countries!

Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Nope, Denmark didn't qualify :smile: Ukraina did and they have some really odd character..... I hope it doesn't win but I have to admit it is a catchy song. I keep my fingers crossed for the swedish contestant; The Ark with the androgyn/bi-sexual singer Ola Salo.

Just seen the lead singer of the French entry, dressed in male attire definately wearing heels.Look like at least 3inch block heels. If i can get a capture later i'll put it up.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!!!

Just seen the lead singer of the French entry, dressed in male attire definately wearing heels.Look like at least 3inch block heels.

If i can get a capture later i'll put it up.

Hmmh, I have also just seen the song contest. May be that I didn't pay attention when the French contribution was running. But the singer from the Ukraine team - this troop with a crazy silver glitter outfit- appeared to me more to be a transvestite than a girl :wavey: . She or he was wearing definetely high heels! The Ark from Sweden with their singer in a Tokio-Hotel-Outfit were also not bad.

In my opinion the hungarian and the bulgarian contributions were the best from a musical standpoint of view.

micha

ps: I'm annoyed about the mode of voting. Every little republic has the same weight, even Andorra or Malta! This contest has decayed to a balkan contest. Russia has 160 millions inhabitants, Germany 80 millions and France, UK, Italy over 50 millions. How many inhabitants have Malta, Andorra, Makedonia, Montenegro, Slovenia, Moldavia, Estonia, Latvia, Lhitunia, Bosnia, Albania and Cyprus together? Still much less than Spain ....:smile:

The best fashion is your own fashion!

Just seen the lead singer of the French entry, dressed in male attire definately wearing heels.Look like at least 3inch block heels.

If i can get a capture later i'll put it up.

I only saw part of the contest, but I also noticed the French lead singers heels. Probably a fashion choice rather than any kind of heel wearing statement.

Well, whatever the male French singer's motives, it was great to see a straight male singer representing his country in front of 150 million viewers wearing high heels. They were semi-chunky heels between 3" and 4" in height. Well done to him! Sadly the Danish transvestite "DQ" didn't qualify in his red stiletto court shoes, but as reported, we did see the Ukraine's transvestite's lead singer in his silver Oxfords with 3.5" Louis heels. All in all, with several male lead singers (transvestite and otherwise) in high heels, and with quite a few male dancers and side-singers in 2"+ heels (mostly knocked out in the semifinal), I thought the 2007 Song Contest did quite a lot to promote the cause of male heel-wearing. Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Well, whatever the male French singer's motives, it was great to see a straight male singer representing his country in front of 150 million viewers wearing high heels. They were semi-chunky heels between 3" and 4" in height. Well done to him!

Sadly the Danish transvestite "DQ" didn't qualify in his red stiletto court shoes, but as reported, we did see the Ukraine's transvestite's lead singer in his silver Oxfords with 3.5" Louis heels.

All in all, with several male lead singers (transvestite and otherwise) in high heels, and with quite a few male dancers and side-singers in 2"+ heels (mostly knocked out in the semifinal), I thought the 2007 Song Contest did quite a lot to promote the cause of male heel-wearing.

Cheers, Heelfan

Hi Heelfan,

I agree with you - its very helpful for my own heels wearing on the street when 150 millions people in Europe see that the big stars are wearing the same footwear!

In former times the european song contest was a boring institution with boring songs which never had any chance to appear in the international charts. The only exception was ABBA. But slowly the times are changing. Even if I don't like the predominance of small eastern european countries concerning the voting, I have to admit that these countries are always good for a surprise concerning the outfit, the style of music and the quality of music.

In the 90ies I visited together with friends the traditional open air festival at the castle of Friedberg near by Frankfurt. More by curiousity we went together to the stage where a russian group was announced. After the concert we all were convinced that they were the highlight of the festival - not only us! Sorry, I cannot remember their name anymore and I don't know if this group still exists but they were wonderful. The most songs were in russian but that was OK even if a understood nearly nothing (two terms of a russian course at my university *grin*). The russian language has not deserved to be reduced to a caricature of KGB agents from a James Bond film. IMHO Russian is a melodious language as my own language. Both languages have not deserved to be subsumed under the caricatures of old second world war or cold war propaganda movies.

Today I'm seeing in TV a russian girls group styled as sexy school girls and an ukrainian glitter band with a crossdresser as lead singer. I'm happy that eastern Europe has entered the club!

micha

Hmmh, I have also just seen the song contest. May be that I didn't pay attention when the French contribution was running. But the singer from the Ukraine team - this troop with a crazy silver glitter outfit- appeared to me more to be a transvestite than a girl :wavey: . She or he was wearing definetely high heels! The Ark from Sweden with their singer in a Tokio-Hotel-Outfit were also not bad.

In my opinion the hungarian and the bulgarian contributions were the best from a musical standpoint of view.

micha

ps: I'm annoyed about the mode of voting. Every little republic has the same weight, even Andorra or Malta! This contest has decayed to a balkan contest. Russia has 160 millions inhabitants, Germany 80 millions and France, UK, Italy over 50 millions. How many inhabitants have Malta, Andorra, Makedonia, Montenegro, Slovenia, Moldavia, Estonia, Latvia, Lhitunia, Bosnia, Albania and Cyprus together? Still much less than Spain ....:smile:

Wow that's new one. I never heard people bitch about the size of the countries. Usually people are angry that the eastbock votes for eachother ever though the west votes for them as well.

I think people are taking the results WAY to seriuosly. Why not just enjoy the music ?

Ms. Jaana Pelkonen's high heels

Jaana was the lady speaker. She is guite short. "Iltalehti" afternoon paper informed that her highest heels were 6 inch high and other heels had at least 5 inch heels. Her foot size is only 36 so it was difficult to her find correct footwear to this occasion from Finland. Her shoes int the picture are from Paris and had original Swarovski-crystal stones.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/euroviisut/200705126097839_ev.shtml

IMO Germany's jazz song was really good. Last year their country song was really good too. Germany 12 points!!

In Finland people thinks that Eurovision has became more and more gay festifal. I still like the eurovision music from late sixteens to middle of seventies:

Anna Madie David, "Tu te reconnaitras"

Severine, "Un Banc, Un Arbre, Une Rue "

Teach In, "Ding-a-Dong" in english,

Marie Miriam, "L'oiseau Et L'enfand"

Vicky Leandros, "Appres Toi"

Use www.youtube.com and watch them and other songs too

Wow that's new one. I never heard people bitch about the size of the countries. Usually people are angry that the eastbock votes for eachother ever though the west votes for them as well.

I think people are taking the results WAY to seriuosly. Why not just enjoy the music ?

Hi Pumps,

when writing my criticism about the european song contest I was thinking more about the situation in the European Union. The contest does'n interest me really but it's an alarming signal that something is going wrong in the EU.

In my opinion we need urgently a common constitution! At the moment every small country of the members is able to block important decisions against a majority of more than 99%. In every democratic country we have the accepted rule "one (wo)man - one vote". Not "one country - one vote" and no veto right of a small minority. In Germany a 2/3 majority in the parliament (Bundestag) has the right to change our constituion.

I know that the EU is a complicated special case. Never in the history a big collection of sovereign states decided to found a common union. We cannot compare the EU (26 states) with the USA (50 states). Europe is a loose union of numberless cultures and languages. Correct me if I'm wrong: we have more languages in the EU than members! Similar different are the political or economical interests of the members.

Therefore it's absolutely necessary to make clear what are national rights and what are european rights. Has Slovakia the right to attract european investors with income taxes below 15 % or has Luxemburg the right to insist on banker's discretion. They behave like parasites in the EU and they know it. The people from Switzerland voted against a EU membership because of the banker's discretion and the norwegians because of their oil reserves.

The future EU can only be a mixture of the "one man, one vote" principle and a veto right of small members. For example a veto right for states with at least 20% of the inhabitants and the agreement of at least 80% of the population to change the common constitution. In the first case the majority has to accept the veto, in the second case the minority has the duty to match their own constitution eventually to the new european right. Alternative they have still the possibility to leave the EU.

Coming back to the original issue: Why not dividing the participating countries of the european song contest in three categories? Below two million inhabitants 10 points to give away. Below twenty million inhabitants 20 points to give away. The rest of countries all 30 points. This is a simple system which is a fair mixture between the rights of minorities and majorities.

nice greetings

micha (*tending to post sometimes off topic*)