Sacrificing Length vs. Width

mskim61

Today was brutally cold here in New England so I decided to go shoe shopping. First stop was Famous Footwear and found a nice pair of Steve Madden in size 11 that fit great. Next it was off to DSW where major frustration set in. Seems that every shoe I tried fit in length but was too narrow in width. When I went to the next size up, the width was fine but the length was too long. Brands that I tried included Jessica Simpson, Vis Spiga, Guess, Ralph Lauren and a few others that I can't remember. Has anyone else run into the same dilemna?

I just had that problem with a pair of Ellie 5 inch black pumps in size 12, too tight to be comfortable, I sent them back and ordered the same pumps in size 13. Wednesday we had tempertures ranging from -20 to -30 in Vermont. My crew chief had -30 at his house.

I don't know if it's just the manufacturer (I probably suspect it is), but oft times if I can find a wide 14, they're wonderful. If I can't, then a regular 15 works just as well. I suppose it all goes down to make & model -just like finding a great car :-)

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

When buying heels I frequently end up with shoes that are too long because I had to go up a size or two in order to get enough width. With pumps, I find the extra length results in heels that slip off even when the front is too narrow. The only shoes or boots I've found that fit reasonably weell are the wide sizes sometimes available at Payless and some of the Cloudwalkers which come in W or WW sizes. What I find surprising is that more manufacturers of heeled shoes don't make their largest sizes available in wide widths. They must be aware that most of their customers for those sizes are male.

im the same. a 9 is too long but the right width. an 8 is the right width but not sufficient length and with a pointed toebox the 8 creates havoc as a result ;) 8 wide or 8/42 is what i need but they are few and far between in the right styles