Walking is just controlled falling

Thighbootguy

I’ve started wearing my pair of

Posted Image

Angie chap boots (from Ellie) around the house and I’ve noticed something about heels I thought I might pass along.

These boots are a size 14 and have a 5½” heel. When I got them they had a 6” heel and I couldn’t manage it and the heel was really too tall for the shoe’s geometry. When the boot was standing flat, the 6” heel angled backwards (note the picture). A while back I had the heel lowered to 5½” and it now lands correctly and is vertical when the boot is flat.

I normally wear 5” stiletto heels with no problem at all but the extra ½” is making things more “interesting”. I am having to make the effort to keep my knee straight when I stand which means this is about the limit my ankle will bend.

The higher heel is moving the ball of my foot closer to the heel and making a shorter footprint to stand on and this really affects my balance. If you imagine a horizontal circle surrounding you when your standing, then let that circle define the limit you can lean and still keep your center of gravity over your feet (ie. you won’t fall over). With my 5” heels that circle is large enough for me to walk easily, with the 5½“ heel, that circle got smaller and I have to relearn how to move (not just walk).

I find I have to be sure to keep my shoulders back and maintain good posture. Any slouching lets too mush weight move forward. I know, loosing a couple of pounds wouldn’t hurt either. I can no longer use the strength of my foot to maintain balance if I get a little off the center of gravity like I can with the 5” heel because the footprint of the boot is shorter.

Walking is just controlled falling. That means I have to use a shorter stride because my normal stride takes my foot too far out of the circle and makes me fall forward too fast.

The bottom line is every time you go up in heel height, you have to learn all over again. That means practice, practice and more practice.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Those are nice boots! I know what you mean about balance -- a half-inch of increased height makes a lot more difference as the heel gets higher. Go from a 2" to a 2.5" and the difference is barely noticeable. Go from a 4" to a 4.5" and there is a lot more difference. Go from a 5" to a 5.5" and the difference is huge!

Have a happy time!

oh yes tbg, I also agree- & those ARE very nice boots indeed!! (however, I'd try to get a pair like those but in a blade heel style if I could) & you know how black goes with EVEYTHING!!:academic:

Those are nice boots!

I know what you mean about balance -- a half-inch of increased height makes a lot more difference as the heel gets higher. Go from a 2" to a 2.5" and the difference is barely noticeable. Go from a 4" to a 4.5" and there is a lot more difference. Go from a 5" to a 5.5" and the difference is huge!

If 5" to 5.5" is huge, then 5.5" to 6" is enormous! Someone on another thread was wondering why a woman used to wearing 4" heels every day was having trouble with 5" heels. There's the answer! Anything above 4" requires considerable skill to master.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

GNH – There is another reason that a women going from a 4” heel to a 5” heel is a big deal. Most women don’t wear a size 14 like I do. The smaller size has even less distance from the heel to the front of the shoe. That means there is even less area over which they have to keep their center of gravity. Add to that the more severe angle the ankle has to contend with and I’m amazed that manufacturers can sell a shoe with a 5” heel in smaller sizes. I was reminded in a previous post that not everyone that wears a heel that tall wears them for walking (and don’t ask what they do with them on).

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

GNH –

There is another reason that a women going from a 4” heel to a 5” heel is a big deal. Most women don’t wear a size 14 like I do. The smaller size has even less distance from the heel to the front of the shoe. That means there is even less area over which they have to keep their center of gravity. Add to that the more severe angle the ankle has to contend with and I’m amazed that manufacturers can sell a shoe with a 5” heel in smaller sizes.

I was reminded in a previous post that not everyone that wears a heel that tall wears them for walking (and don’t ask what they do with them on).

Okay, I won't ask. But apart from standing or sitting with them, that don't leave much.:wink:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels