Is where you live important in being out?

shoegasmgirl

Hey. I was reading a number of the posts on this site and i got curious. Does where you live play a factor in how out you are about your heeling? How much does it play in to your decision to be out or not? Can location play as much as a role in being out as a supportive partner or spouse?

My husband and I live in Atlanta, and we know ALOT of men and women that are into heeling and are out. Most of the guys we know will go to parties (fetish, goth, and regular) with their heels on and bring their wives, that may or may not also be into heeling. There's also a large population of gay, tvts, and crossdressers in atlanta, so it's not an unusual site to see men trying on high heels in alot of shoe stores. I didn't think this was just an Atlanta thing, but it seems from reading alot of the other posts that this is unusual. Is Atlanta just unique or does location not play that much of a part in being out?

Be Well.

I would say location plays a major part in street wearing. If you live in a more rural area (like I do in NW Pennsylvania) descretion is a better part of valor! It's not real bad here but I would be reluctant to push things too far. Then if you are in a metro area like Atlanta or other large city,then things should be much more open. Still it pays to be careful regardless.

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

If you live in a more rural area (like I do in NW Pennsylvania) descretion is a better part of valor! It's not real bad here but I would be reluctant to push things too far.

So is it the threat of violence? Or does living in such a rural area make it harder/impossible to tell wives/girlfriends/significant others about your heel wearing? Or is it just that the environment there in general is more closed minded about things? How much does that play into how you see yourself as a heel wearer? Are there things you don't do because of the societal pressures (such as wearing heels out in public (men and women))? Do you think the societal pressures are felt more if you're in a more rural area than if you were living in a big city like Atlanta or New York? Or are the societal pressures just as much in a big city?

I know that while looking for ballet heels on the net, i stumbled upon a site that was pro-heels but anti-ballet and "fetish" heels and anti-high heeled boots (which is WAY to many anti's for me!) and had all sorts of rules for who wears what kind of shoes and where they can be worn appropriatley and where they can't be worn. That was a total shock to me, because i OFTEN wear my 7+ "fetish" shoes to malls, movies, resturants, etc without even a second thought about it. Do alot of people really think like that? That certain heels are "bad" and certain ones are "good" and certain types of heels should never even be worn outside of closed doors? Do rules like these really factor into what heels to wear where and with whom? Call me naieve but i've never really heard of stuff like this before (even though i moved all over cuz dad was in the army). Maybe the ones who thought like this just instinctively knew to avoid me? Or is this not a very common occurence, people who think like that? And if it is common, do you think growing up in a "rural" area contributed to those type of thoughts? Do their opinions about it cause you to change your heel wearing behaviors?

Be Well.

I spend my time between Canada and Mexico. I've never gone heeling in public but I'm coming closer to the idea of doing it when in Canada. However Mexico is a totally different story. In Mexico the whole "macho" attitude and the whole being ages behind the fashion world makes it harder to do. As for good and bad heels that's something I don't think exists. There's judgemental people and there will always be but if I had the courage to go out on a pair of 4" heels I wouldn't mind going out with wearing a 7" heel (if I could walk on them :wink:)

Going out in heels is a head game that's all there is to it. There are some who use the fact that they live in a large city as a reason for not doing it (there's too many people I know who can see me), and there are others who use the fact to justify their heel wearing (anything goes around here). The reality is is that people hate going out of their comfort zone. My friends Firefox, Xaphod and Heelfan all live in comparatively small communities and wear heels all the time. Heelfan who is a rather portly man in his 60s lives in a tiny village, Firefox who is a bit of a goth lives on the edge of a town and I gather that Xaphod lives in a tiny village too. I have a number of friends who live here in London and in other cities who also heel a lot of the time and I would too except it is too difficult to drive a truck in heels and it has been tried. So to answer the question the only thing stopping you from wearing heels is the thing between your ears.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

admittedly what dr shoe says is right, it is mostly in the head because most people dont notice and most people dont care when they do. such as myself, i wear heels out of town, because i am aware that certain people wouldnt look on it too positively and i wouldnt want the sniggers or comments from the people they are likely to spread the words to. However there are certain places i wouldnt wear heels to no matter whether i cared who knows or not. The yorkshire life is very laid back and full of 'take piss' type humour, or u could say common, and people stereotype very quickly. if a lad wears a tight top hes gay. if a girl dresses a bit sexy shes a slag... so as sad as that is ...going further out to a man in heels would be too much for a lot of silly minds that we have here. common sense i think answers that theres certain places you wouldnt wear heels out, when for example you can get trouble for simply 'looking at someone'. the community is known for being a little 'rough' here and im sure theres other places the same

I also live in a more "backwoods" area (south central Tennessee) and these people here are just not ready to see a guy in heels, let alone a skirt, etc. The old hilbilly macho is really present here, so i have to rethink just what I can do without "upseting the apple cart" so to speak. Maybe after being here a little longer I will be able to figure it out. I mostly wear heels in the stealth of darkness on the drive to work, and before everyone else comes into the shop.

Heels Are GRRREAT!!!

S.L.

I think it does. I live in the midwest, the "Biblebelt" and some areas here it would deffently be looked down upon. I live in Kansas City, MO. It's not too bad. You could get away with it in the right neighborhood.

It's all good. ~Arron.

I have spent time in many cities in several countries, and I would have to say that location does play a role in deciding whether to wear heels or not. I spent a lot of time in London and the surrounding towns, and felt comfortable wearing heels (as well as some more overtly feminine clothes/accessories) in a lot of places, but equally some area had the vibe that a guy in heels is just asking for a good kicking. Soho and the Kings Road area seemed to be pretty much the most relaxed with regards to what a guy can wear, which was good as that was the areas I tended to gravitate to. Some shopping centers are also good - being out and about in heels in both Lakeside and Blue Water posed no issues. On the other hand, I did wear heels (and short dress, etc) in the town I grew up in, but that was only after dark and in limited areas. Anything else was just pushing it too much. Now with the apparent rise of "chav" culture, not to mention the increased public surveillance in the town of my birth I don't think I'd be so free with my heeling any more. Paris was odd... while the ladies often wore the most gorgeous clothes and shoes, the feeling that the Gallic way is for men to be *real* men was pervasive. It's kind of odd getting cat-calls in french while standing waiting for the metro, although long hair, pink nail polish and patent stiletto heels kind of stand out. :wink: Now I'm in the good old US of A. Life has taken me around a bit. Of all the cities I lived in or near, Atlanta seemed to not give a damn. The first time I went to Underground Atlanta wearing heels was nerve wracking as there were a *lot* of people around, but I didn't get any comments, just a few people (mostly women) doing double-takes. Many trips to UA later, all wearing heels, and it seemed a bit passe really... which is both good and bad. A part of me kind of longs to make people eye's swivel, but the other part likes to just pass mostly un-noticed. I have spent time in other cities; Tampa and Orlando just didn't seem to care. The only double-take I got in New Orleans was from one of the hotel maids as I click-clacked my way down a tiled hallway, but a freindly "hola" seemed to break the spell. I may as well have been invisible on Bourbon Street and in the French Quarter. What can I say... a guy in stilettos and pants just doesn't cut it compared to the exotic Mardi Gras drag queens, and the mait're d at Emeril Lagasse's Nola restaurant was just too polite - I don't think he'd have made a comment if I'd been naked. Except maybe about needing a tie. :D Now I find myself in a fairly conservative town, not a millions miles from asdf174, but I don't feel any animosty while out wearing my only pair of not-quite-so-outrageous heels. Not that they are low heels - faux suede ankle boots with 5" stiletto heels mix both the outrageous (heels) with the subtle (black "suede"), and with the correct attire (longer black pants) seems not to get attention. I don't think patent or colored shoes would work here with or without heels, never mind skirts or dresses, but I'm having fun taking things slowly.

If I return to New Orleans... ever, I'll be much more liberated, even if I'm surrounded by people I know. At least there, I know where the physically safe/unsafe spots are... I'm still feeling that out in Illinois.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Atlanta has a reputation as a city with a lot of dressing going on; I read once that "Atlanta is to crossdressing as Seattle is to S&M." I don't know how that reputation came to be or to what extent it is merited.

Wow, I didn't know that about Seattle. Me and shoegasmgirl may have to visit there someday!

There is a lot of crossdressers here in Atlanta, but never having been to any other big cities for any real length of time, I can't say for sure if it is larger than most or not. I do know that there are a lot of areas here in Atlanta that it is accepted to wear heels out in if you are a guy, and lots of areas where it isn't a good idea.

It is a bit I think. I live in Manchester now, which is a great place to go out. It has a thriving goth / metal scene, which is good for going out in heels as they're used to alternative clothing anyway. If that's not your thing, the gay village is apparently also popular with straight people just looking for a good night out and no trouble. The other thing I like about wearing heels in a city is that everyone has a whole bunch of other people to look at. Chris